Why become a member? ×

Band not shaping up

munkonthehill

Hate to sound negative, bit it sounds like a lost cause to me. You could try booking some gigs and see if it livens em up, but having been there myself I reckon you just might start hearing excuses again before long, maybe even end up cancelling the gigs at the last moment and losing some of your own credibility with the venues.

You dont seem happy anyway, so probably time to vote with you feet and just write it off to experience. Spent 2 years rehearsing with a band, all competent experienced musicians, great ideas, big talk. but in that time 4 freebee gigs, 15 numbers in the set, 4 diabolical tracks recorded. just didnt gell. Everybody was fed up but didnt want to be the one to pull the plug.

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1158883' date='Mar 12 2011, 02:00 AM']Hate to sound negative, bit it sounds like a lost cause to me. You could try booking some gigs and see if it livens em up, but having been there myself I reckon you just might start hearing excuses again before long, maybe even end up cancelling the gigs at the last moment and losing some of your own credibility with the venues.

You dont seem happy anyway, so probably time to vote with you feet and just write it off to experience. Spent 2 years rehearsing with a band, all competent experienced musicians, great ideas, big talk. but in that time 4 freebee gigs, 15 numbers in the set, 4 diabolical tracks recorded. just didnt gell. Everybody was fed up but didnt want to be the one to pull the plug.[/quote]

no negativity issues here. I appreciate your reply mate.

I spoke with the other 2 in the band who are getting pissed off. I said I would give it 1 more month, the drummer said give it 1 more week or its all over.

To put you in the picture a wee bit. I take the boys over to rehearsals. upon picking up the singer and guitarist (the 2 thats lagging) I said 'hola chaps, hows tricks'.

I was greeted with............... aye f***in pish mate (hint of distance and annoyance in voice)........

Later I was speaking with the guitarist who said the comment above, he said he was sorry he was so cheeky but due to stress of learning our new 5 songs plus keeping up with our current setlist is really getting to him. He could barely play 1 of the new songs and then questioned MY playing on feelin good (bonamassa version) and said that I was playing it in the wrong key (i believe its in G, however correct me if im wrong).

The singer still needs prompting on songs we have been doing for 4 months, the guitarist is turning himself down so low he cant be heard as he isnt confident in the songs. The main players in the band is the drummer, (other) guitarist and yours truely.

I think I have finally answered my own question and as of Friday next week if the others aint up to par. Then its over.

There is only so much patience you can have and when you have 2 other memebers in the same frame of mind, then its time to start afresh.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1158891' date='Mar 12 2011, 02:34 AM']the guitarist is turning himself down...[/quote]
Wow, even though he's not pulling his weight, it's worth keeping him just for the novelty value. :)

Seriously though, sorry to hear that you've been having a rough ride. I think (from the sounds of it) you've already made your mind up. It's always crappy when a band splits up, but it sounds like you all want different things - some people want to gig and do it properly, others want a hobby to tinker with.

Fortunately, good bass players with commitment, transport and their own gear are never without a band for long... Good luck with the next project.

Cheers, Paul

[quote name='paul_5' post='1158981' date='Mar 12 2011, 08:50 AM']Wow, even though he's not pulling his weight, it's worth keeping him just for the novelty value. :)

Seriously though, sorry to hear that you've been having a rough ride. I think (from the sounds of it) you've already made your mind up. It's always crappy when a band splits up, but it sounds like you all want different things - some people want to gig and do it properly, others want a hobby to tinker with.

Fortunately, good bass players with commitment, transport and their own gear are never without a band for long... Good luck with the next project.

Cheers, Paul[/quote]

Nice one, thanks for that Paul. Yeah this is their last chance as of Friday. To be honest I don't hold out much hope. However I do feel I owe them at least 1 more chance.

Who said I was a good player though hahaha :)

I can remember being asked to join a band ten years ago. I took it as a compliment and rather rashly said yes. What I didn't realise was that the type of stuff they wanted to play was just not my cup of tea. It was then that I decided I had to work out an escape plan.
The escape plan didn't mount up to much......basically not turning up to rehearsals and showing no commitment or enthusiasm (the cowardly way out - I should have just said 'sorry this bands not for me'). Eventually they gave me my P45 which I was over the moon about!
I think your fellow band members are showing similiar signals so it's probably time to let them go and sign up a new guitarist and singer who actually want to be in the band or you'll be rehearsing the same songs forever and a day.

Yes..half of it is wanting to do it and so many people can't/don't get out of the bedroom.

If you are keen and have a drummer in tow, you can be on the look out for other players.
You may have to go it alone...but attitude, gear and transport goes part of the way.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1159046' date='Mar 12 2011, 10:16 AM']Yes..half of it is wanting to do it and so many people can't/don't get out of the bedroom.

If you are keen and have a drummer in tow, you can be on the look out for other players.
You may have to go it alone...but attitude, gear and transport goes part of the way.[/quote]

Thankfully I have the drummer and lead guitarist with me on this split. We all have good gear an me and the drummer (also my brother-in-law) own a full P.A system. I doubt we would get a 2nd guitarist back in, so all we really need is a singer.

The other 2 really talk a good game about us as a band and they seem into it in a big way. However they talk the talk but dint walk the walk!

[quote name='gjones' post='1159042' date='Mar 12 2011, 10:08 AM']I can remember being asked to join a band ten years ago. I took it as a compliment and rather rashly said yes. What I didn't realise was that the type of stuff they wanted to play was just not my cup of tea. It was then that I decided I had to work out an escape plan.
The escape plan didn't mount up to much......basically not turning up to rehearsals and showing no commitment or enthusiasm (the cowardly way out - I should have just said 'sorry this bands not for me'). Eventually they gave me my P45 which I was over the moon about!
I think your fellow band members are showing similiar signals so it's probably time to let them go and sign up a new guitarist and singer who actually want to be in the band or you'll be rehearsing the same songs forever and a day.[/quote]

Im not sure if thats the reason, as I said in my last post, they both talk a great game, the guitarist went back for guitar lessons AND singing lessons!!! and the singer is going through singing lessons too.

They talk a fair game but when it comes to the crunch they dont seem to cut it,,,,mabe they are concentrating on all these lessons and not the songs. Who knows.

However its obvious they dont know the structure at times and certainly the queues for the singing to come in. For instance, we played 'feelin good'. Solo was over and I stated when the guitarist was finished to give me a nod, I would start the longer run down the fretboard and then back into song......so after we did that, we waited and waited and waited. When I started to sing it he then came in.

He then immediately after we finished said 'he didnt know when to start cos the guitarist didnt do the high bit on the solo' I said we aint playing it note for note, just look for us to see when you should come in.................blank look.

Steve, I know that you reherse on a friday, but one of the bands I know are playing the Glenhead Tavern in Glasgow road Duntocher next friday and Truckstop`s idea of going to see a good band is a wise one.

They are a good, tight band and you should take em down and say "this is how you do it" and see what they say. Some of my lot are going down too.

As for spending months in the rehersal studio, we practice a song on the tuesday and gig it on the saturday. It sometimes sounds sh*te though!!

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1159205' date='Mar 12 2011, 12:34 PM']Steve, I know that you reherse on a friday, but one of the bands I know are playing the Glenhead Tavern in Glasgow road Duntocher next friday and Truckstop`s idea of going to see a good band is a wise one.

They are a good, tight band and you should take em down and say "this is how you do it" and see what they say. Some of my lot are going down too.

As for spending months in the rehersal studio, we practice a song on the tuesday and gig it on the saturday. It sometimes sounds sh*te though!!

Jez[/quote]

is it a guy jim who runs red eye studios? If it was then I was talking to him last night.

I honestly dont thing its worth doing this. We have all seen bands or been in bands. We should know how a band sounds when they are tight. Lets face it if they dont know how it should sound, then they shouldnt be in a band.

In saying that, give me a shout if your going over too and I may head down for a cider.

I was in a similar situation to you all of last year. After 7 months and 8 songs I called a meeting and asked everyone to pull their socks up. I also booked a private party for all of our friends and family in the hope everyone would focus and not want to be showed up. 3 months later we had 11 songs, 5 of which were passable. I gave it one final chance and after 5 weeks over Christmas break we rehearsed again. It was a large bag of sh*t and I phoned them up the next day and told them that was it for me.

I left, joined another band... we have 25 songs there after 3 rehearsals and a gig in 2 weeks with a 32 song set. Every one is focused, motivated and professional. I now realise what a mug I had been and wish I left after 3 months of nothing happening.

Some people are just happy to practice, make music and have their fun in rehersal rooms - and that's cool, especially if you're all busy people and don't have much time to spare. I can't think of anything worse than playing infront of a room full of people and not knowing your parts or not playing tightly together - oh the shame, the humiliation! But in the same passion, I couldn't imagine NOT playing infront of an audience. As much as I enjoy writing and just playing with my bandmates, sharing the music with others is half the fun. Rocking a packed show is a feeling that is hard to beat.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1163817' date='Mar 15 2011, 10:30 PM']ok..well done.

Hope it goes well and the slackers, if that is a fair thing to say, might just need this push.

Maybe they aren't naturally confident in this environment and they need this[/quote]

yeah thats fair to say matey. SLACKERS, that may be our new band name hahaha.

The singer is new to this so fair play if he lacks a bit of confidence, however the guitarist boasts over 100gigs!!!!! f*** knows how

• 2 weeks later...

OK,

So a wee update.

The singer jacked in the band the other week as he found me and the main guitarist were getting at him for not knowing the tunes. I told him that if he gets the tunes in hand then we have to issues.

The singer is now bang on. not only has his bravado and confidence improved. He is singing much better and mucking in the band much better.

Now bear with me on this part.......

Our drummer couldnt make rehearsals on friday. So our main guitarist held down the beats and done it very well for his first time in a band situation. This left our other guitarist to AT LEAST play rhythm guitar and get the structure of the tunes right. OH NO NO NO,, in turn he was still hanging fire to see what I was doing in the song and taking my lead WTF!!!!!! He should know the tunes and their structure. Our lead guitarist swears he has been doing this from day dot, however it was hard to hear it in the mix until our lead guitarist sat out.

So I txt him tonight to see if he needs help with the tunes from me or the lead guitarist. He then questioned why I would ask such a thing as he is completely competent in all tunes....................AWKWARD....................He then asked if his playing was a concern of everyone, the reply was yes.

The final txt was a bit martyrish................saying...well you guys go on without me, you obvioulsly play at a higher level than I ever can and he doesnt appreciate us adding pressure to him............I have to say after playing with the guy for 8 months I think I am the picture of f***ing patience.

Im obviously missing out loads of wee bits of how this person interacts with us all. However I am giving near basics at this point.

So we are now a 4 piece rock band. Hopefully we can now push on a bit further for out gig in a month.

I can only say how I would have liked to handle this.

My opinion is that I don't care what it takes behind closed doors/rehearsal to get everything moving in the right direction so nothing is meant as personal
but to a collective means to an end..ie, the band sounds as good as it can within the parameters we have.

I don't like slack rehearsals and I don't like poor egos... ego's themselves are fine if backed up and the person isn't so snotty about it though,
and everyone should have to take a collective hit on their playing from time to time, but whether you can rip someones playing apart is another thing. Setting someone on edge is not good and likely to fracture the band which may not be the required result, but having to keep quiet just so as not to hurt someones feelings is a step too far as well.

Just trying to work through all that needs to be done in an adult condusive way should be possible without toys out of the pram so grounded people only, IME.

If the second gtr has had a fit, then maybe you are best off without him..particuarly as his parts didn't make him a must-have member, AIUI.
FWIW, it takes two very good gtrs to not get in the way of each other as they all seems to think they HAVE to carry the song on their terms, alone.

Band politics huh..????

[quote name='JTUK' post='1177982' date='Mar 27 2011, 09:54 AM']I can only say how I would have liked to handle this.

My opinion is that I don't care what it takes behind closed doors/rehearsal to get everything moving in the right direction so nothing is meant as personal
but to a collective means to an end..ie, the band sounds as good as it can within the parameters we have.

I don't like slack rehearsals and I don't like poor egos... ego's themselves are fine if backed up and the person isn't so snotty about it though,
and everyone should have to take a collective hit on their playing from time to time, but whether you can rip someones playing apart is another thing. Setting someone on edge is not good and likely to fracture the band which may not be the required result, but having to keep quiet just so as not to hurt someones feelings is a step too far as well.

Just trying to work through all that needs to be done in an adult condusive way should be possible without toys out of the pram so grounded people only, IME.

If the second gtr has had a fit, then maybe you are best off without him..particuarly as his parts didn't make him a must-have member, AIUI.
FWIW, it takes two very good gtrs to not get in the way of each other as they all seems to think they HAVE to carry the song on their terms, alone.

Band politics huh..????[/quote]

yip who would have them,,,,,,in show biz,,,never work with children, animals or musicians (however that could be coverd with the children comment).

It was starting to tear the band a bit having him there. The lead guitarist was scunnered as he was doing everything and realised even the bits the other was doing was wrong alot of the time. Whenever it was just him and I playing it sounded off and then I got para about my playing. The drummer couldnt be bothered with his constant excuses on why he hadnt learnt songs or why he was tired all the time and that NEXT week it would be better,,,,however it was always NEXT week.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1177982' date='Mar 27 2011, 09:54 AM']...

...[/quote]

This may have been the problem. If the lead guitar was playing everything (ours tries to as well) this often leaves the rhythm with nothing to do. If he was good then he would be hanging back. If he was bad then he may have been overplaying and the whole thing would sound like a train wreck.

I usually have to stop our band when we have run through a tune after the first 3 or 4 run throughs because they're both trying to play the same. The rhythm and timing go out of the window. If they actually played the same there would be no issue, but playing in unison takes a hell of a lot of practice. Why have two guitars if they both play the same?

[quote name='TimR' post='1178000' date='Mar 27 2011, 10:15 AM']This may have been the problem. If the lead guitar was playing everything (ours tries to as well) this often leaves the rhythm with nothing to do. If he was good then he would be hanging back. If he was bad then he may have been overplaying and the whole thing would sound like a train wreck.

I usually have to stop our band when we have run through a tune after the first 3 or 4 run throughs because they're both trying to play the same. The rhythm and timing go out of the window. If they actually played the same there would be no issue, but playing in unison takes a hell of a lot of practice. Why have two guitars if they both play the same?[/quote]

they dont play the same parts. Im probably not giving a full picture. Just take it as the 2nd guitarist wasnt pulling his weight and not learning the songs properly.