Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Promethean P5210

SisterAbdullahX

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/amp_page11.php?area_id=2&ampl_id=16&year=2011&cat_id=5&series_id=432"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/amp_page1...p;series_id=432[/url]

and...

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ibanez-promethean-564381/index21.html#post9825611"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ibanez-p...tml#post9825611[/url]

and manual:
[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/manual/amp/Promethean.pdf"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/manual/amp/Promethean.pdf[/url]

looks like the 2x10 combo is running at 4 ohms already...

[quote name='OzMike' post='1155068' date='Mar 9 2011, 11:12 AM'][url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/amp_page11.php?area_id=2&ampl_id=16&year=2011&cat_id=5&series_id=432"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/amp_page1...p;series_id=432[/url]

and...

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ibanez-promethean-564381/index21.html#post9825611"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ibanez-p...tml#post9825611[/url]

and manual:
[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/manual/amp/Promethean.pdf"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/manual/amp/Promethean.pdf[/url]

looks like the 2x10 combo is running at 4 ohms already...[/quote]

Thanks for the sterling work, Mike. I'll take one. £631.00 at Thomann right now looks like deal of the century!!

Edited by SisterAbdullahX

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='1155434' date='Mar 9 2011, 05:22 PM']Thanks for the sterling work, Mike. I'll take one. £631.00 at Thomann right now looks like deal of the century!![/quote]

Welcome! I've never tried the Ibanez stuff, but appreciate their 'resuse' of the same amp head with several cabinets ala Genz Benz.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='1154788' date='Mar 9 2011, 01:35 AM']Could anyone tell me if the Promethean P5210, the 2x10 combo, has the amp running at 4 ohms (and therefore 500watts) or 8 ohms (and therefore 250 watts)? I know the 1x10 is 8 ohms but can't find any info on the 2x10.[/quote]

I'm using the P5110 Promethean, which runs at 8 ohms chucking 250w. With my extension cab 500w at 4ohms. Both the 1x10 and the 2x10 are D Class units, so switch to 4 ohm when doubling up speakers. It'll be running on 4 ohms..
Great sound though eh? I nearly went for the 2x10, but wanted the smallest portable option. I bet it's cool ? Welcolme to the club !

I've not been on here long, and already I'm frantically thinking of what to sell in order to get new gear!!! The Promethean does look just like what I'm after thought, fed up of lugging my 4x10 cab everywhere and this looks like the ideal replacement. Does anyone know how it compares to the similar spec'd Mark Bass combos? As in is it worth saving up and going balls out on a Mark Bass or is the Promethean the best bet?

[quote name='thepeanmachine' post='1204619' date='Apr 19 2011, 11:56 AM']I've not been on here long, and already I'm frantically thinking of what to sell in order to get new gear!!! The Promethean does look just like what I'm after thought, fed up of lugging my 4x10 cab everywhere and this looks like the ideal replacement. Does anyone know how it compares to the similar spec'd Mark Bass combos? As in is it worth saving up and going balls out on a Mark Bass or is the Promethean the best bet?[/quote]
Hello!

The Promethean is smaller than the MarkBass - very compact. The Promethean is loud for its size, but I imagine the MarkBass will be louder as it's a bigger box.

The Promethean has a removable head, and an AUX in / headphone capability.

I can't give any advice re: tone, as I'm not really familiar with the MarkBass.

I think I was one of the first BC-ers to get the Promethean, and quite few people scoffed at the notion that Ibanez could make a good quality amp gear - the consensus being it's Ibanez, it's cheap, ergo it's crap! Let me tell you, it's one of the best kept secrets in bass amplification! I love my amp to bits :)

[quote name='thepeanmachine' post='1204619' date='Apr 19 2011, 11:56 AM']I've not been on here long, and already I'm frantically thinking of what to sell in order to get new gear!!! The Promethean does look just like what I'm after thought, fed up of lugging my 4x10 cab everywhere and this looks like the ideal replacement. Does anyone know how it compares to the similar spec'd Mark Bass combos? As in is it worth saving up and going balls out on a Mark Bass or is the Promethean the best bet?[/quote]

I moved from a MarkBass LittleMark 250 with an Aguilar GS112 set up to the wee 5110 Promethean combo.
I'm really really happy with the move, I still prefer the flat sound of my older set up, just worked well for my style and basses, but the Promethean is an incredible thing!
I can easily dial in a sound close enough to what I used to use, plus I can plug in headphones when the wife has had enough, it's small enough to sit in the living roomand it's loud enough to be used on it's own for smallish gigs or as a stage monitor for louder ones.

There isn't a direct comparison between the 5110 and any MarkBass combos as they don't do a 1x10 combo, obviously the cheapest MarkBass 1x12 combo will be louder on it's own, however the head ain't removable, it doesn't put out 500W at 4 Ohms, has no aux in or headphone out and it's substantially more expensive, at least at new list price.
The 5210 combo could be compared to the MarkBass 2x10, but the above still applies, bar the wattage, however I think the Ibanez combo might be wired at 4 Ohms, so if that is the case, it will probably be a lot louder.

For the money, the Ibanez stuff is incredible, and the build quality matches, if not beats the build on the MarkBass stuff in my opinion. I'm positive they'll be making a loss on these uints, but sometimes that's necessary to break into the market.
The sound isn't quite as refined or hi-fi, but the Ibanez might be a little more versatile and can certainly do hi-fi in it's own way and has no bother going "old school".
I still lust after the MarkBass stuff and under different circumstances I wouldn't have parted with what I had, but the Ibanez does everything and more than I would've got if I'd spent a couple of hundred pounds more and went with the MarkBass 1x12, or the 2x6 for that matter, which is even more limited...

That's my 2p!
Eude

Just to clarify - this stream of consciousness was spewed with the Promethean 1x10 and MarkBass 1x12 in mind...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1204632' date='Apr 19 2011, 12:08 PM']Hello!

The Promethean is smaller than the MarkBass - very compact. The Promethean is loud for its size, but I imagine the MarkBass will be louder as it's a bigger box.

The Promethean has a removable head, and an AUX in / headphone capability.

I can't give any advice re: tone, as I'm not really familiar with the MarkBass.[/quote]

[quote name='thepeanmachine' post='1204655' date='Apr 19 2011, 12:25 PM']Hmmm lots to ponder, thanks for the tips Eude and Derren. Will definitely go for something smaller anyway, just need to flog my current rig. Any ideas on who actually stocks the Promethean so I can check one out? Ideally in the north west as that's where I'm based...cheers[/quote]

Your welcome to come over, have a brew and check out mine if you like. You're only in Preston after all! :)

[quote name='thepeanmachine' post='1204655' date='Apr 19 2011, 12:25 PM']Hmmm lots to ponder, thanks for the tips Eude and Derren. Will definitely go for something smaller anyway, just need to flog my current rig. Any ideas on who actually stocks the Promethean so I can check one out? Ideally in the north west as that's where I'm based...cheers[/quote]

Not at all dude, sorry I took so long to pop in!

Eude

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1204659' date='Apr 19 2011, 12:31 PM']Your welcome to come over, have a brew and check out mine if you like. You're only in Preston after all! :)[/quote]

Sounds like a plan, Derren! Will need to shift the current rig first, otherwise I'm liable to end up buying things I really can't afford! Would be ideal to check it out, as I can't find anywhere northwest that stocks the Promethean.

[quote name='thepeanmachine' post='1205115' date='Apr 19 2011, 07:36 PM']Sounds like a plan, Derren! Will need to shift the current rig first, otherwise I'm liable to end up buying things I really can't afford! Would be ideal to check it out, as I can't find anywhere northwest that stocks the Promethean.[/quote]

Hi there;
Bought my Promethean P5110 through Digital Village. ( Best price. However Bass Merchant will match any price, and are great guys to talk to ). Hadn't even tried one, so a big gamble. Did my homework, and it was going to be between a Markbass Jeff Berlin ( which I had tried out ) and the Promethean. After selling my huge Ashdown rig, I took the plunge & went for it.
Just plugging into the Promethean without knowing my way round, I just knew I'd made the right decision. Heaps of change left too so I got the extension cab. The Markbass would have eaten the lot! Amazing sound, build, size,.... What more can I say ! This amp's a classic amongst the big boys. Just want to keep practising with it. Both my 75 Jazz bass & Warwick Corvette sound brilliant. It even makes me sound better, and that takes some doing! Haven't gigged with it as yet, but for pub gigs, know it'll be fine. With the cab... No problem. Might scale the car down to a mini now!
The weirdest thing is that I'm working on the latest Ridley Scott film. The new Aliens prequel.... called Prometheus ! Must have known....... My amp's going to be covered with badges from the film.

[quote name='thepeanmachine' post='1204655' date='Apr 19 2011, 12:25 PM']Any ideas on who actually stocks the Promethean so I can check one out? Ideally in the north west as that's where I'm based...cheers[/quote]We're not in the North West but we carry the Promethean in stock if you ever find yourself in London. If you take Derren up on his kind offer and like the amp, we deliver nationwide for free. :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1208616' date='Apr 22 2011, 08:15 PM']I really fancy a P5110 but I'm kinda put off by stuff I've read on TB about problems some people have had with them powering up. The posts are quite old so do you think it was a dodgy batch or is it something Ibanez have fixed since?[/quote]We've not had any back with this problem nor heard about it from other dealers. I suspect may have been an issue with the very first batch in the States. They didn't ship to the UK until quite some time after they had been available across the pond.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1208681' date='Apr 22 2011, 09:40 PM']Ooh tempting - nice price too. Do you keep a few in stock?[/quote]Our normal stock profile includes the P5110 combo, the P500 head and the P110c extension cab. At the moment, the extension cab is on back order with Ibanez until around August time. We have the 1x10 combo and the head in stock right now and, assuming they're in stock with Ibanez, we can get the 2x10 combo and/or the larger cabs very easily. Give us a ring to discuss if you wish. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1208802' date='Apr 23 2011, 12:13 AM']I know gaf had two units go wrong.

I'd still like one. Thomann had a deal at £499 with delivery for the 1x10 combo plus the gig bag. Anywhere else close?[/quote]

The bag is appalling, just a warning.
It's only useable as a cover, there is no sensible/easy way of carrying it comfortably using the strap - total and utter rubbish.
I believe Sk8 is planning on having something custom made for his Promethean, I'll make sure he shares his results... :)

Eude