Why become a member? ×

So my Rickenbacker arrived!

tomb

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1154993' date='Mar 9 2011, 10:01 AM']The lesson in question being that paying £2000-odd for a bass won't stop it from being awkward, uncomfortable, tonally limited, not necessarily spectacularly well-made, and a gargantuan one-trick pony which hasn't evolved for 40 years.

I love the Rick sound & look but would never pay that sort of money for a bass that, because of the above, I know I'd hardly ever play. This is one of the reasons I like Rick copies. That & the fact they're very rare & interesting - any tw@t with more money than sense (or more money than me!) can go & buy a Rickenbacker. :)

J.[/quote]
That maybe true, but he keeps saying "it's not a Rick"

I should probably stay out of this, but Tomb has posted elsewhere in the last few days that he's 14 years old.

A lot of the responses he's getting here are treating him (understandably) as an adult. There's a bit of a mis-match.

Tomb, my own son is 15. I recently bought him a 1970's Maya Precision bass and he's delighted with it. It cost about the same as your RickenFaker. It's not a "real" Precision because it's not a Fender ... doesn't matter, it's a great bass.

If I could have bought him a 1973 Fender Precision for £200 then believe me, I would have. If I could have had it delivered by Angelina Jolie in a bikini then I would probably have arranged that too. :)

Enjoy what you have.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1155023' date='Mar 9 2011, 10:27 AM']I should probably stay out of this, but Tomb has posted elsewhere in the last few days that he's 14 years old.[/quote]

If that's him in his avatar, they tattoo at a young age in Portugal

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1155023' date='Mar 9 2011, 10:27 AM']A lot of the responses he's getting here are treating him (understandably) as an adult. There's a bit of a mis-match.[/quote]

Very true his English is much better than most on here :)

Good points well made though!!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1155023' date='Mar 9 2011, 10:27 AM']I should probably stay out of this, but Tomb has posted elsewhere in the last few days that he's 14 years old.

A lot of the responses he's getting here are treating him (understandably) as an adult. There's a bit of a mis-match.

Tomb, my own son is 15. I recently bought him a 1970's Maya Precision bass and he's delighted with it. It cost about the same as your RickenFaker. It's not a "real" Precision because it's not a Fender ... doesn't matter, it's a great bass.

If I could have bought him a 1973 Fender Precision for £200 then believe me, I would have. If I could have had it delivered by Angelina Jolie in a bikini then I would probably have arranged that too. :)

Enjoy what you have.[/quote]

if i knew from the start it was a faker i would have been happy with it, like i said, im not unhappy with the bass itself but more with the situation and thats making me uncomfortable with the bass. like having a girlfriend and she has a twin sister and you ending up having sex with the sister... she looks the same but once you notice its not the girlfriend you get all kind of weird feelings

about my tattoo, you can get tattooed in Portugal at 13 as long as the parent is there and permits it. about my english, my great grandfather on my mothers side is english and ive been attending english class since i was 6 in OTL, thats like and extra curricular activity that would translate into Free Time Ocupation

[quote name='tomb' post='1155209' date='Mar 9 2011, 12:54 PM']if i knew from the start it was a faker i would have been happy with it, like i said, im not unhappy with the bass itself but more with the situation and thats making me uncomfortable with the bass. like having a girlfriend and she has a twin sister and you ending up having sex with the sister... she looks the same but once you notice its not the girlfriend you get all kind of weird feelings

about my tattoo, you can get tattooed in Portugal at 13 as long as the parent is there and permits it. about my english, my great grandfather on my mothers side is english and ive been attending english class since i was 6 in OTL, thats like and extra curricular activity that would translate into Free Time Ocupation[/quote]

tattoos and talking about shaggin twin sisters!

Glad my boy aint growing up over there hahahaha

[quote name='punkypuncher' post='1154838' date='Mar 9 2011, 02:48 AM']i paid £500 n traveled 300 miles for a 30 year + rickyfaker
i love my rickyfaker,i gig it more than my usa fenders

i got £250 for your bass if you want

I say keep ,play it,love it
just think you could of spent loads more on a real ricky,n it may be a right pig.[/quote]
Can I have it back???

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1155023' date='Mar 9 2011, 10:27 AM']I should probably stay out of this, but Tomb has posted elsewhere in the last few days that he's 14 years old.

Enjoy what you have.[/quote]
I think I should step in at this point...
Son youve been mugged off...
However I am possibly your FairyGodfather So I will give you 250 of those euro things plus postage

JUST TO STOP THE WHINING :)

Sounds like you might regret that move. I'd suggest taking more time to think about it, don't make a rash deceison. I know you are dissapointed now but you got a good deal according to the experts on here. You don't want to be dissapointed again when you realise you wish you had kept it. Give it at least a week.

Patience is a virtue.

i need a bass to play and i dont want to take this to rehearsal and get a scratch on it and then the guy saying he wont take it back, so it must go so that i can fund another bass... maybe a GSR200 or a RBX 374

Edited by tomb

[quote name='tomb' post='1156130' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:46 AM']i need a bass to play and i dont want to take this to rehearsal and get a scratch on it and then the guy saying he wont take it back, so it must go so that i can fund another bass... maybe a GSR200 or a RBX 374[/quote]

Gotta be honest buddy, Ric or not that bass will eat both those other basses you've mentioned for breakfast.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1156135' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:53 AM']Gotta be honest buddy, Ric or not that bass will eat both those other basses you've mentioned for breakfast.[/quote]

well, the bridge pickup i can hardly hear on its own, i only notice it when its with the neck ones so i dunno about that... and not knowing what it actually is (Bassassin isnt sure) we really cant say anything about its potential... is it a Gehrson? is it an Aztec? is it Ibanez like the Rickenbacker guy said? nobody is sure...

Edited by tomb

[quote name='hellothere' post='1156136' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:56 AM']If you do sell it then what is your budget for your next bass? (do you own another bass allready btw)

And sounds like alot of people are interested in it, that should be telling you something.[/quote]
if he takes it back it will be around 400€ and no, i dont own another bass, been playing with what friends lend me, some even have rust

But I think most people think it is worth what you paid if not more.

And I'm no expert but if one of the pick-ups isn't working it could just be loose wiring or something. After all you said it hasn't been played in 20 years.

Have you played other basses with a bridge pick-up?

Also if you have other friends who are bassists why dont you show them and see what they think?

i played a Maison, single pickup and a Fender Jazz Bass, also single but with metal cover like this.
yes, ive shown it to others, i tought i had a Rick, of course the 1st thing i did was show it off! most think its the real thing, only one guy doubt it because of the cream pickups (the owner of the Jazz Bass)

Edited by tomb