Why become a member? ×

What exactly is Guitar Pro?

norvegicusbass

It's tab writing software, I use it to learn songs though. You can search for and download tabs from the web into GP. When you open the song in GP, you get the notation, the tab on the screen and the sounds with a mixer so you can take the bass out or boost it etc. You can loop sections, slow 'em down etc. A marker moves along with the tab so you know where you are.

It's the dogs bollox and worth every penny

I didn't like 6 to be honest. I may just be really used to 5 but I found it a lot less intuitive/easy to use. It's especially worse for stuff that changes time signature a lot (i.e. most of the stuff i write) as the bar doesn't retain it's time signature when you c+p it like it does in gp5.

If you want a free version of Guitar Pro 5 - Google 'TUX'. They both are good, but riddled with head bashing frustrations I think :) - Guitar Pro 6 isn't perfect, but it's definitely an improvement in GUI in my opinion - though as Bob says, there's a few things that you have to do differently between versions which can be frustrating!