Why become a member? ×

double bass recommendations

Jezyorkshire

Just sold my Yanagisawa tenor sax so am looking to upgrade my very cheap chinese double bass, my budget is around £1500, am looking at used double basses and have been looking at these
[url="http://www.thwaites.com/basses/basses-from-1-2k"]http://www.thwaites.com/basses/basses-from-1-2k[/url]
anyone dealt with Thwaites? would have to drive down from west yorkshire so can anyone comment on these basses in this price range, or know of anything else worth looking at, cheers, Jez

Here's my old chestnut (in joke to those unaware as I keep banging on about these basses and how good they are).

This is what I wrote before last time someone was looking something new:

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1067708' date='Dec 23 2010, 12:44 PM']...I would recommend you look into some of the basses available from Thomann. After playing a friends that was set-up professionally and played brilliantly, I replaced my €5000 bass from Ken Smith with one of these: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_22_02.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_22_02.htm[/url]

The Ken Smith was fully carved, while the Thomann is a hybrid (carved top, laminated sides/back) and to be honest there isn't a lot in the difference. My main reason for downgrading was to get an instrument that would amplify better than the Smith would. The carved body was a crazy feedback machine. So I knew I would be sacrificing some acoustic qualities in getting a hybrid. I can honestly say that after playing the Smith for over a year, and getting to know it pretty well, that I would rather have the Thomann. The Thomann bass is made by the Hora company in Romania.

Also, I was able to specify what set-up I wanted, so the bass arrived with the bridge set-up to my playing style. It also arrived with the soundpost still in place, so I was able to string it up as soon as I unpacked it and was playing in minutes. This saved the time and expense of going to my repair guy to get it setup. I've been playing this bass for almost a year now and have no problems with it at all.

With the free shipping from Thomann and the trial period where you can return it if you don't like it, this might be a better option for you. Maybe check with them about the procedure to return it if you don't like it.[/quote]

If you're thinking of going that far why not give the Violin Shop in Glasgow a call. They usually have 10-15 basses in stock at all sorts of different prices. All professionally set up as well. I bought my Stentor Arcadia for £1500 there and a number of people have commented on how good it sounds.

[url="http://www.theviolinshop-glasgow.co.uk/bass_room.html"]http://www.theviolinshop-glasgow.co.uk/bass_room.html[/url]

[quote name='BassBus' post='1144621' date='Feb 28 2011, 04:39 PM']If you're thinking of going that far why not give the Violin Shop in Glasgow a call. They usually have 10-15 basses in stock at all sorts of different prices. All professionally set up as well. I bought my Stentor Arcadia for £1500 there and a number of people have commented on how good it sounds.

[url="http://www.theviolinshop-glasgow.co.uk/bass_room.html"]http://www.theviolinshop-glasgow.co.uk/bass_room.html[/url][/quote]

+1 on the Stentors. I have one that I bought for a grand from a classical player who was upgrading to a mega-bucks German 200 year old instrument for her orchestral playing. She'd been playing the Stentor since she started out but it wasn't quite up to the highly refined world of top level classical music. It's a great entry level instrument that can be used beyond starting out.

I'd recommend buying from a player if you can - it was great to talk frankly with the previous owner about the bass and find out about its history, bumps and scrapes and character. In my experience, double bass players are very honest about their instruments and their shortcomings and good points. At the very least, try and get to a shop that has a range of basses to play. I've heard the Thomann instruments are really good, but I personally would be worried about not playing them before buying. Acoustic instruments with such major variations in construction, tone and dimensions as the double bass have to be taken one at a time! No two are alike. When I bought my bass, I tried to play as many different instruments as possible and some were truly duds for me despite much salesmanship on the phone and in the shop!

P.S. I've never been to Thwaites but they have a very good reputation. I'd say they'd be the ideal place to go and play a range of basses and chat with folks who know what they're talking about. Give them a ring before you go to tell them what you're after and they'll sort you out I reckon! Sounds like a fun day out! :)

[quote name='leroybasslines' post='1144838' date='Feb 28 2011, 07:31 PM']Acoustic instruments with such major variations in construction, tone and dimensions as the double bass have to be taken one at a time! No two are alike. When I bought my bass, I tried to play as many different instruments as possible and some were truly duds for me despite much salesmanship on the phone and in the shop![/quote]
Wise words. I tried about five different instruments at different prices. Sound was the deciding factor and the Stentor just fitted into my budget. You'll get a good bass for £1500.

[quote name='teej' post='1144849' date='Feb 28 2011, 07:38 PM']What about this Golden Strad? A bargain, in all likelihood...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=125183&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=125183&hl=[/url][/quote]

+1000

At least go and see it :)

thanks for the replys, i am leaning towards older basses that are in good condition hopefully to avoid any surprises and thats why i liked the look of those at Thwaites in that price range, would be interested in anyones opinion on the basses on that list regarding sound and if they are a good price, though i am keeping my options open, thanks, Jez

Thwaites are a good company (if Bill bothers to answer the phone!) but ultimately, like any business, they're there to make a healthy profit. You are very wise to choose an older instrument over a new, providing its in good structural condition. I feel it is always best, particularly given the tempermental nature of basses, that you buy from another player as they have been tried and tested and played in. Alot of these new chinese and plywood basses sound great for a few feet and then die (although I guess if you are using a pickup it doesn't matter so much). If you do decide to buy a toffee apple bass from Thomann etc, then the action will almost certainly be dreadful and will need setting up. Malcolm Healey is a good man for this.

Best of luck with your purchase!

Edited by Damo200

One of the reasons was looking at Thwaites is that in that price range there are 5 basses, cant find any other shop with that many in my price range, just got an email back from the violin shop in Glasgow and they have a zeller and thats it, also i reckon a good laminate like the old german ones at thwaites will be more robust and probably just as good sound wise as summat solid thats recent for similar money, i wouldnt be put of a solid wood bass but as most playing will be amplified to varying degrees a good laminate makes sense also, cheers, Jez

Been and bought the Golden Strad from John (toddy) , have booked an appointment with Jan at leeds to see what he reccommends done , apart from the bridge as John mentioned in the ad,
interesting playing it when i got home how much more tone it has than my CCB even with the knackered bridge and strings, cheers, Jez

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' post='1153123' date='Mar 7 2011, 10:29 PM']Been and bought the Golden Strad from John (toddy) , have booked an appointment with Jan at leeds to see what he reccommends done , apart from the bridge as John mentioned in the ad,
interesting playing it when i got home how much more tone it has than my CCB even with the knackered bridge and strings, cheers, Jez[/quote]

I played one of those for many years, in much worse condition. Funny little slightly squat looking bass with fat neck, but great tone and really easy to play. Light as a feather, big loud full tone (guess that's the spruce top). I sold it for £400 about 6 years ago... after I refinished it blonde.

Pretty good price at £400, very good buy.

You should get years of enjoyment

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' post='1153123' date='Mar 7 2011, 10:29 PM']Been and bought the Golden Strad from John (toddy) , have booked an appointment with Jan at leeds to see what he reccommends done , apart from the bridge as John mentioned in the ad,
interesting playing it when i got home how much more tone it has than my CCB even with the knackered bridge and strings, cheers, Jez[/quote]

Good work Jez. Jan does great work so im sure you will end up with a really nice bass. Enjoy!
cheers Geoff

I was playing at a jazz festival over the weekend and got chatting to the bass player with the band who followed us. I remarked that his bass looked like a golden strad. 'I haven't got that sort of money' he replied. Just thought you'd like to know :) Enjoy your bass!

thanks guys, im expecting to have to put some money into it as i want it to be right, am considering having an adjustable bridge fitted and a Fishman full circle installed as it needs a new bridge anyway, i have heard that Jan doesnt go looking for things to have done that dont need doing and is really great at what he does so am waiting in anticipation , i have an appointment to see him on monday morning,
anyone had this kind of bass and found strings/pickup that work well with it?
cheers, Jez

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' post='1154792' date='Mar 9 2011, 12:44 AM']thanks guys, im expecting to have to put some money into it as i want it to be right, am considering having an adjustable bridge fitted and a Fishman full circle installed as it needs a new bridge anyway, i have heard that Jan doesnt go looking for things to have done that dont need doing and is really great at what he does so am waiting in anticipation , i have an appointment to see him on monday morning,
anyone had this kind of bass and found strings/pickup that work well with it?
cheers, Jez[/quote]
+1 to Jan. He's ace.

I've been really happy with the Full Circle, very full and even sounding. You've seen my bass Jez, not the greatest thing in the world but the FC makes it sound fine. Jan's done all the work on it.

Been to Jans this morning, going to have the fingerboard shot and nut reprofile and new fixed bridge, tailwire and maybe new sound post to start with, having my old spiros put on, will then see how it turns out and if i really like it will have the bridge adjusters fitted and full circle later if i am definetly keeping it, this way i wont be wasting money if it turns out that i dont love it!
Jan is very helpfull and was concerned about keeping the amount of work/cost down till i know its a keeper, cheers, Jez

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey i only took it to Jan a week ago and i now have it back, the work looks really good, and sounds really good, the string height is a bit higher than on my cheapo chinese bass, about 6-7mm on the g string then about 9(d) 10 (a) 9 (e), can really dig in compared to the CCB and has much more tone and volume, sounds like a proper double bass to me , will try it through the acoustic image combo tommorow if i get the bass max fitted in the wing slot, cheers, Jez

[quote name='Jezyorkshire' post='1172566' date='Mar 22 2011, 08:34 PM']Blimey i only took it to Jan a week ago and i now have it back, the work looks really good, and sounds really good, the string height is a bit higher than on my cheapo chinese bass, about 6-7mm on the g string then about 9(d) 10 (a) 9 (e), can really dig in compared to the CCB and has much more tone and volume, sounds like a proper double bass to me , will try it through the acoustic image combo tommorow if i get the bass max fitted in the wing slot, cheers, Jez[/quote]
Jan is ace. Result :)

[quote name='scotyork' post='1175927' date='Mar 25 2011, 02:05 PM']Hi There I live near Leeds and would appreciate it if you could give me a contact number or e-mail for the famous Jan !! It would be great to have a good luthier on the doorstep.
All the best Contrabajo[/quote]

Here you go. [url="http://www.chapel-allerton.org.uk/index.html"]Chapel-Allerton Strings[/url]

Edited by TPJ