Why become a member? ×

What causes poor string volume balance ???

far0n

I have half a dozen basses, some have really good consistent string volume across all four strings. Others are pretty rubbish. So I was wondering what causes it ?? I once had a Stingray which was by far the worst of any bass I've ever had. I've tried screwing the pickups down at the 'business end' and heightening them at the top end, this only really makes a fairly small difference. Is it the preamp voicing that can cause things like this ?? Or is it just the build ? If so, what is it about the build that causes it ? All moans/gripes and advice welcome ! :)

[quote name='far0n' post='1142253' date='Feb 26 2011, 12:23 PM']I have half a dozen basses, some have really good consistent string volume across all four strings. Others are pretty rubbish. So I was wondering what causes it ?? I once had a Stingray which was by far the worst of any bass I've ever had. I've tried screwing the pickups down at the 'business end' and heightening them at the top end, this only really makes a fairly small difference. Is it the preamp voicing that can cause things like this ?? Or is it just the build ? If so, what is it about the build that causes it ? All moans/gripes and advice welcome ! :)[/quote]
im taking it they all have the same strings on? if so its poss the windings of the pickups..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1142269' date='Feb 26 2011, 12:33 PM']im taking it they all have the same strings on?[/quote]

Yeah, I'm using Warwick Red Label 100-40's.

Strangely the cheaper the bass the better the string balance is... in my case anyway :)

Have you thought about adjusting the action on an individual string basis? Of course this may be already set up to your liking, but don't forget that it affects not only the distance of your strings from the fretboard but also from the pickup pole pieces. You'll need a slightly higher action for the lower strings because they are 'floppier' and move futher when vibrating, not just sideways but also up and down. also some bridges allow the adjustment of string spacing which would center the string above/between the pole pieces. Also EQ will make a percieved difference in volume if a bass heavy frequency boost is played at a high volume, have you tried recording your playing to rule out the influence of an amp at full tilt? Does this happen at low volumes?

yeah i have this problem, and like the OP have adjusted pickup height/action etc to try to rectify it - its normally the D&G strings which lack oomph! When i'm playing solo it seems fine but in a band mix they get lost a little. i use light strings (35-95) and was thinking about maybe putting heftier strings on for the D and G but don't really want to if i can avoid it. i did start thinking it was maybe my right hand technique but pretty sure its not as on my P bass its not a problem.

peace

c

I had one of my basses set up by a luthier, and the difference when it came back in string volume balance was amazing. Try getting a pro set-up to see if this rectifies it, and mention the problem. Even if it doesn`t solve it, a pro set-up never hurts a good instrument.

Edited by Lozz196

Read somewhere on here that it is a problem especially common to 'Rays. A more experienced BC'er than me will be able to enlighten I'm sure.
The weak G is deffo suffered by my 'Ray but then again it is in need of a pro set up. I daren't touch it for fear of f*cking it right up!
Cheers,
Norm.

Is the effect noticeable when the bass is played acoustically? If not, could your EQ be part of the problem?

When I used Trace amps, I found that I could alter the 'volume' of individual strings by cutting or boosting certain frequencies....

If your amp and/or cab have a certain voicing, they could be accentuating some of the strings and attenuating others. Possibly!

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Norm' post='1143074' date='Feb 27 2011, 10:02 AM']Read somewhere on here that it is a problem especially common to 'Rays. A more experienced BC'er than me will be able to enlighten I'm sure.
The weak G is deffo suffered by my 'Ray but then again it is in need of a pro set up. I daren't touch it for fear of f*cking it right up!
Cheers,
Norm.[/quote]

I have never been a fan of pro setups, Its too hard to describe exactly what it is you want. Sure the intonation and stuff should be right when it comes back but neck relief and action are too personal IMO. Its better to befriend a fellow basschatter and get them to do it for you with you present or slight tweaks over many weeks until its right, Not very practical though I guess? Ha

Weak G string fix is easy enough once you know how but it often falls on deaf ears anyway. But general jist is to raise the G end until its at max height for your playing style then lower the E end away until the balance is good, The pre amp has plenty of umph to still give a great sound but with maybe more bass boost on than you used to use before the getting the balance right. Job done.