Why become a member? ×

Running a hybrid amp without a cab...

bassjamm

Hello chaps...

I've got a question if I may...

Can I run an Orange Bass Terror amp with plugging in a cab?

That may sound like a dumb question, but I'm not sure. I've owned all valve amps in the past and I know it's a no go area with them, and I've used solid state amps where I know it's not a problem. But with it having a valve pre-amp and Class D power section I thought I'd check as I don't want to blow it up!

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

Edited by bassjamm

Usually its fine, I've done it with Trace Elliots, Ashdowns, EBS etc. However its best to check the documentation to any amp to be sure. I'm sure that Orange will have user manuals online.

Other folk on the site that know a lot about valve amps and electronics will probably clarify, but I'm sure that it is something to do with power tubes needing to have a load of some kind. As most hybrid amps just have preamp tubes, I don't think that they get damaged when they are run without a cab (most of them just have a 12AX7 or something similar, which can be found in lots of valve overdrive pedals), but I could be very very wrong!

Other folk on the site that know a lot about valve amps and electronics will probably clarify, but I'm sure that it is something to do with power tubes needing to have a load of some kind.

+1

Always best to have a load on a running amp.

May I ask why you would want to run it without anything attached?

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1139438' date='Feb 24 2011, 12:04 AM']Other folk on the site that know a lot about valve amps and electronics will probably clarify, but I'm sure that it is something to do with power tubes needing to have a load of some kind.

+1

Always best to have a load on a running amp.

May I ask why you would want to run it without anything attached?[/quote]

I don't know about the original poster but when I have done it, it is just to use the amp as a preamp going to the desk when recording in the same room as live drums.

I will defer to those with proper techy knowledge, but the TB500 manual says:

IMPORTANT!
Before connecting
your amplifier to a power source, please check the following:
Ensure your speaker cabinet is connected to the correct impedance with the
Terror Bass unit,(see Rear Panel section for guidance), using a good quality
speaker speakon cable.

Edited by KK Jale

Valve power amps must always have a load.

Solid-state power amps can work perfectly well without a load, i.e. with [i]nothing[/i] connected to the speaker sockets.

As for whether the pre-amp is valve or solid-state - it doesn't matter.

[quote name='bassjamm' post='1139584' date='Feb 24 2011, 09:00 AM']I want to use it in the studio as a D.I box basically, rather than micing up etc.

Thanks for the replied people.[/quote]

You may need one of these [url="http://www.studiospares.com/mic-accessories/pro-40db-inline-attenuator/invt/568600/"]40db Attenuator[/url]
The DI on mine is too hot.

Right, I spoke to the Orange people today and the answer is, No, you can't run this amp without a cab/load!

That answers that then hey!

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1139624' date='Feb 24 2011, 09:36 AM']You may need one of these [url="http://www.studiospares.com/mic-accessories/pro-40db-inline-attenuator/invt/568600/"]40db Attenuator[/url]
The DI on mine is too hot.[/quote]

Yeah I found that out last night...it's flipping smoking!

Thanks for all your input chaps!