Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to Bass

tomb

[quote name='silky 2010' post='1138127' date='Feb 23 2011, 08:12 AM']I have just bought a Squier VM Jazz Bass FSR and a line 6 lowdown studio 75W amp. I am so impressed with both of these and the guy at the shop said that the line 6 amp should be loud enough for small gigs and practice. These both come in brand new in your price range...

Ben[/quote]

hummm, the Line6 amp i find at 300 euros so that would leave me with 200 euros for bass, cable, bag, strap.... but if a 75W amp is enough for that then maybe a gallien krueger backline 110 II that is 70W and costs only 140€ leaving me with 360 for the rest. but then again dunno about the quality of it

[quote name='daz' post='1138861' date='Feb 23 2011, 05:20 PM']Câmara de Lobos, Funchal and Santa cruz are good sized towns. (Câmara is bigger than my town and we have 3 music shops) Surely there must be music shops there ? Can you look them up on the interweb?[/quote]

there are 2 music shops in the entire island, one has been around for a long time but has huge prices, the other is new but small, not much variety

[quote name='tomb' post='1138013' date='Feb 23 2011, 01:06 AM']hummm Yamaha is what the guy that played with Vai used. i see lots of those for sale on alot of sites, never seen one for sale 2nd hand[/quote]

Do you mean Billy Sheehan? (IMHO) The most skilled bass player who ever lived ever?

Yamaha Attitudes aren't hugely common second hand but do come around! Not the easiest basses to play, most people don't like them, the tone or the neck!

Yamaha make GREAT basses for the money. You *should* technically be able to get a Yamaha bass from any where which stocks anything Yamaha, the RBX170/270 and the 374 is great and the BBs are just as awesome!

Definately with in your budget too the RBX170 defo is at least and will leave a good amount left for the rest

[quote name='tomb' post='1138068' date='Feb 23 2011, 03:48 AM']a very old Aria. it didnt sound all that great and i really didnt like anything about it except that i was playing... i was happy to be playing, not happy to be playing that bass

the one i saw and liked was a bc rich warlock and an epiphone thunderbird gothic

btw, do i get Flea's sound with the Fleabass or is it just another one of those "oh yeah, this is just like mine" deals but when you but it its totally different?[/quote]

The flea basses do sound like what Flea plays now because he does actually play one!

Though the pickup is a bit wooly and only has one real sound, but swap the pickup and its a good versitile bass, the stock one is by no means bad though

[quote name='tomb' post='1139302' date='Feb 23 2011, 10:15 PM']yet another question... i see Basses with a battery compartment, what is this for? the one I used didnt take batteries

is it better or worst with batteries?[/quote]
Battery compartment (sometimes hidden in the backplate) = Active bass (has active electronics, AKA a pre amp)
No battery = Passive bass (tone controls only take away from the overall tone rather than adding anything)

None is better than either really. It's all down to the components & the quality of bass.

Can you not get your gear online rather than wasting funds in an expensive music shop?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1139458' date='Feb 24 2011, 12:23 AM']Battery compartment (sometimes hidden in the backplate) = Active bass (has active electronics, AKA a pre amp)
No battery = Passive bass (tone controls only take away from the overall tone rather than adding anything)

None is better than either really. It's all down to the components & the quality of bass.

Can you not get your gear online rather than wasting funds in an expensive music shop?[/quote]

yes i can but for that i have to know what actually is good or not and for 500€ i cant seem to get a decent amp if i get a decent Bass

for what you guys have told me I need around 75W for rehearsal and that goes a bit expensive, specially the brands you talked about

Edited by tomb

Get yourself on to www.thomann.de & go to bass combos & have a look at the SWR LA15 (€215) & the Gallien Krueger Backline 115 II (€239).
From the €260 you have left, you can look at their line of basses from the likes of Yamaha & Ibanez (both hard to fault even at the budget end) & still have plenty left to pick up a strap & a lead.
Oh, just mind & not accidentally buy a Harley Benton plank thing! lol

Job done! :)

ok so the SWR is actually 222€ and ive seen 3 basses from the brands you said that i think are good and I like, YAMAHA RBX 374 BLK 298€ (going over the budget and still needing to buy the rest), IBANEZ GSR200BK 259€ (includes gig bag and strap leaving 19€ for cable) and the IBANEZ GSR200EX-BKF 275€ (with gig bag and strap, leaving 3€ for cable). all this not counting the shipment.

out of them all I like the Yamaha the most but with that Amp goes way over my budget, besides, do they come with strings? and the other amp you said is 245€ so thats a no no

arghhh, decisions decisions.... but thanks alot

Edited by tomb

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1139381' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:21 PM']I have never seen flea play a flea bass! Not the little silly toy things I presume the OP is referring too.

Don't worry about with or without batteries for now (active or passive) either are good and all about personal taste in the long run.[/quote]

Too keep up apprences he has been playing them exclusivly (in public!) since towards the end of last year The "Tour" or what ever model, the one which is like £300

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1138940' date='Feb 23 2011, 06:02 PM']The flea basses do sound like what Flea plays now because he does actually play one!

Though the pickup is a bit wooly and only has one real sound, but swap the pickup and its a good versitile bass, the stock one is by no means bad though[/quote]
I doubt that the one Flea plays, if he does, is the same as the cheap ones in the shops.

I think the majority of your budget should be your amp. I play in a fairly quiet band and I wouldn't like to have less than 100w. There are many threads here stating you need more but 100w is plenty. You'd be working a 75w amp quite hard. Don't worry about strings, strap, case etc. Some shops throw stuff in & you can always pick up trimmings at a later date. My local shop does decent budget basses and most basses these days with a proper set up (this is when a bass is adjusted to play at it's best and for beginners best left to your local shop) play well.

I'm a big fan of supporting your local small music shop so best of luck for tomorrow.

[quote name='Mikeg' post='1141196' date='Feb 25 2011, 01:40 PM']+1 on the Yamaha, very versatile bass. And for an amp marshal make very good and affordable combo's.
And the best place to find gear IMO is here, you can get great stuff for good prices in the for sale section.[/quote]

shipping would kill me

so, got the email back from Thomman and they wont charge shipping so im thinking on going with this setup to get the better bass so that it lasts me longer and a slightly inferior amp. heres the setup: YAMAHA RBX 374 BLK, GALLIEN KRUEGER BACKLINE 110 II, THOMANN GIGBAG2 E-BASS, THOMANN GURT6,4S, CORDIAL CSI 9 PR-SW

oh and today I played on a very old Fender Jazz bass on rehearsal and it sounded and felt great :)