Why become a member? ×

High output single coil pick up versus low output humbucker

buff

I dont really understand what the difference is between a humbucker and a normal single coil pick up. But would i be right in thinking, that a high output single coil pick up measuring 14.5K would have more power than a humbucker with an output of 6K ?

Not necessarily. It's a misconception that the lone ohms rating for a pup indicates it's hotness - there are other factors which need to be taken into account.

You might get a more helpful answer if you explain the rational behind you question and why you are looking for the hotest pup. :)

Humbuckers are made from 2 coils in the same pup housing and through the miracle of phase inversion, do what they say on the tin. Single coil pups are what they say they are - one coil.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='neepheid' post='1135309' date='Feb 21 2011, 11:58 AM'][b]Measuring the DC resistance of the coil only tells you how much wire is wrapped around there.[/b] There are many other factors which govern "output" - strength/type of magnet(s), physical distance from string are two off the top of my head.[/quote]
Not only that but it's thickness (a fat bit of copper will read next to nothing despite being short - point taken to extremes) and conductivity through purity.

Ok, the output from the pick up in my jack casady bass is according to epiphone 6K. but im finding despite the fact its meant to be a good pick up, it's very wooly and lacking any bite. It's a humbucker but a weird size. The only pick up i can find so far that will fit in the hole is a single coil seymour duncan pick up for a precision rated at 14.5K also they do a rickenbacker pick up that'll fit. Bartolini do one also, but ive not found out the output's yet.

[quote name='buff' post='1135256' date='Feb 21 2011, 11:23 AM']I dont really understand what the difference is between a humbucker and a normal single coil pick up. But would i be right in thinking, that a high output single coil pick up measuring 14.5K would have more power than a humbucker with an output of 6K ?[/quote]

Not entirely sure where you are going with this quest..... but I had a pickup winder make me a few to demo. The loudest with most winds was the worst sound.
I would talk to the winder and let him explain what he does and what he can do to matchup your requirements. The only think stopping them custom winding a pickup for your bass would be, IME, the cover they would need for it.

Re output.. a ballsy bassy pickup can be a real hinderance for tone. I find it easier to add bass than get rid of it.

Once upon a time, a really "healthy" (read: hot) output may have been desirable, but with the vast array of modern pre-amp stages out there, is there any need to resort to thunderous outputs anymore? Sure, select a pick-up for tone, but output is of much less significance.
In that tonal caveat, I would include the choice between single coil and Humbuckers....It's personal preference, but do bear in mind that a correctly wired humbucker can be coil-tapped for single-coil operation.

the not so simple answer. one bucks hum the other dont. an hb is just two single coils with opposing magnetic poles aintit. a pup with more winds is gonna be louder whether it be sc or hb. hb is usually wound half as much on each coil giving you the same output as a 'fully wound' single coil, but with a brighter sound. a hot single coil will be noisier than an hb with the same amount of wire but the vol should be about the same. or summat like that anyroad.

Edited by lettsguitars

[quote name='buff' post='1135315' date='Feb 21 2011, 12:09 PM']Ok, the output from the pick up in my jack casady bass is according to epiphone 6K. but im finding despite the fact its meant to be a good pick up, it's very wooly and lacking any bite.[/quote]

You are never going to get bright and zingy sounds from that bass in a hundred years. Unfortunately, a semi acoustic with centrally placed pickup ain't going to have "bite" no matter what pickup you fit. If its a major issue for you, and you can live without the cool factor of the JC bass, I'd look at something with a solid body.

Before you go replacing the pickup or electronics, find out what really good eq. can do

DI the bass through something like a midas desk, there should be more than enough high mid and top end boost to let you hear what is possible.

If you want top end boost without hiss, John East makes a good eq pedal DI if you don't want to mess with the wiring in the bass.

Its worth spending a bit of money on a good eq like this with a sweepable mid. Use it to boost hi mid or cut low mid.