Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dirty Punk Tone...

bassjamm

[quote name='mike f' post='1132629' date='Feb 18 2011, 07:26 PM']I have [i]just [/i]become a fan of Nomeansno.

Thank you so very much.[/quote]

Just for you on this very special day

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppR6LcGnkUY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppR6LcGnkUY[/url]

Reading through this thread I was thinking JJ, bloody JJ all the sodding time (don't get me wrong I like The Stranglers)
Then POW! NoMeansNo!!!

I LOVE NoMeansNo

I'm pretty sure Rob plays through Marshall guitar amps, or at least the early stuff is.

If the guy filming Victims Family had stretched out his right arm he would have hit me on the head* - what a great show that was. And Rob Wright's (NoMeansNo) amplification is behind Larry Boothroyd's (VF bass player), because NMN were headlining that night. Two of my favourite bands and two of my favourite bass players.

*Unless this was filmed after I'd gone for a wee!

[quote name='Mr H' post='1132823' date='Feb 18 2011, 09:41 PM']If the guy filming Victims Family had stretched out his right arm he would have hit me on the head* - what a great show that was. And Rob Wright's (NoMeansNo) amplification is behind Larry Boothroyd's (VF bass player), because NMN were headlining that night. Two of my favourite bands and two of my favourite bass players.

*Unless this was filmed after I'd gone for a wee![/quote]
you lucky bastard.. :)

details wanted, by PM if necessary. i'm well jealous.

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1132829' date='Feb 18 2011, 09:46 PM']you lucky bastard.. :)

details wanted, by PM if necessary. i'm well jealous.[/quote]

Ditto, surely a truly great gig.

And have't heard 'six pack' for a good eighteen months. Must never let that happen again

Klaus Flouride: My hero

Edited by Wally

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='1132489' date='Feb 18 2011, 05:34 PM']Great bass intro, but I think I read somewhere that the Capt played it, it certainly sounded nothing like that live, back in the day :)[/quote]

No Cappy didn't play that. He did the middle bit of Antipope though.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1132852' date='Feb 18 2011, 10:07 PM']Just to show you don't need a Pbass to get that punk tone...

Klaus Flouride has always used a Jazz (and a quite nice blue metallic one at that)...[/quote]
my favourite dk l.p is 'plastic surgery disasters'.

'riot > bleed for me' will never be topped.

oh the memories.. :)

[quote name='bassjamm' post='1131746' date='Feb 18 2011, 12:44 AM'][snip...]

I don't really want to suggest songs for tone ideas as I'd like to try and craft something unique, but I'd appreciate some help I guess :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jamie[/quote]
If you really want to create a unique bass sound you're going to have think pretty uniquely, and that's going to mean breaking some 'rules'.

I don't really think there necessarily is such a thing as a '"punk tone", as as evinced by some of the youtube clips in this thread; some very different tones going on there. What really matters is that you find something that works with your band - I not entirely sure that JJ's tone would have worked so well with two distorted guitars for instance.

But ideas for thinking outside the box? Very light/very heavy gauge strings, extreme EQ settings, downtuning (and playing further up the neck), 'unsuitable' gear (like JJ's broken guitar cabs), lowering the action to clatter the frets. All have been done before of course, but it's all about how you make it yours. Anything is worth a shot, and that's before you start playing about with your technique.

I always thought Steve Jameson's sound was pretty amazing. :)

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Marky L' post='1132865' date='Feb 18 2011, 10:26 PM']No Cappy didn't play that. He did the middle bit of Antipope though.[/quote]

I'm happy to stand corrected.
On the subject of the Nomeansno stuff that's been posted on here, there's a little part of me that thinks "why doesn't he just get a guitar", anybody else? or is it just me.

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='1133561' date='Feb 19 2011, 04:34 PM']I'm happy to stand corrected.
On the subject of the Nomeansno stuff that's been posted on here, there's a little part of me that thinks "why doesn't he just get a guitar", anybody else? or is it just me.[/quote]

He is definitely the lead instrument which is kinda unique for a punky band. I enjoy the drummer the most though. Did you enjoy the posted songs?