Why become a member? ×

Pete Farndon - Pretenders - P bass sound

timotei

Probably like many of you, I have an ideal sound I'd like to get to. The sound I really admire is Pete Farndon's on the first 2 Pretenders albums.
Have a listen to the intro to Mystery Achievement if you need any convincing. It's fairly natural I think, and really shows off the sound of a P bass
So, I've got a pretty decent bass - Fender Precision Vintage 57 reissue, but I don't seem to be able to recreate that lovely natural P sound.
What should I be concentrating on?
Is it strings? - I use Fenders cos I really liked the feel of them when I first bought the bass
Does maple or rosewood make a huge difference to thew sound? This bass has a maple fretboard
Is it my amp set up? - I use a Little Mark II through a Markbass Traveller 12 (I generally only play pubs and small clubs so it's plenty loud). Is there a particular eq setting I should use
Or is it just down to technique? I play with fingers, fairly adequately I like to think, but I'm always learning!

Any advice would be most welcome.

If I had to recall a sound of his, it would be Brass in pocket and that was a lively string sound played with a pick.
I would start with the MB flat on the main controls and use the filters but I doubt you will get there as the sharp attack sound is the pick at work.

Not much you can do to imitate that with fingers, IME.. unless you can get a nail in there.
You may be able to thumb it...but unless you use that technique, you'll have to learn it, and if you do that..you may as well
do that with a pick.

Great sound, btw.

[quote name='cd_david' post='1132796' date='Feb 18 2011, 09:22 PM']

No pick here either :) cool looking bass :)[/quote]

That's a fantastic clip - cheers.
Great musicians, all of them.
Thought I was right that he played with fingers - probably get proved wrong now with another clip!

[quote name='cd_david' post='1132796' date='Feb 18 2011, 09:22 PM']

No pick here either :) cool looking bass :lol:[/quote]

I would say that is a pretty dull old recording in terms of the presense of the bass sound.
I certainly don't recall it being that muted and it is lacking in attack.
Maybe he should have used the pick :)

Edited by JTUK