Why become a member? ×

suggestions please: Strings for a 35" scale bass

Gwilym

hello all
I've a 35", 5 string bass. Now, after playing a 35" scale for while now my only misgivings about it is the higher string tension due to the increased length of the string.

It's a small difference, but noticable to me, and I prefer how the same strings feel on my other 34" scale basses. What I don't want to do is sell the bass!

Options: using "heavier" strings, but that they have the same gauge. Ideally I don't want to use narrower strings.

So is there such a thing?

Strings I've used, and found to be too stiff:

Elixir nanowebs (45, 65, 85, 105, 130 taper wound B )
DR Hibeams (45, 65, 85, 105, 130)

any suggestions? they need to be long enough too :)
cheers
G

If you are absolutely stuck Gwil, NewTone strings actually made custom strings for my 7er (the low F#) that was designed around the tension of the string itself. You could see what they can offer you?

[quote name='owen' post='129660' date='Jan 28 2008, 11:12 PM']Thomastik Jazz rounds. Very boingy/spongy/low tension, very nice.

Ceilliau y ci.[/quote]

ta Owen, they sound good - but maybe a bit too springy? I did google them for some reviews and liked the sound of them ie they are not a hugely "bright" sound from what I've read. I'll add them to my shopping list even though the B is a .118 :huh:

[quote name='dood' post='130223' date='Jan 29 2008, 07:03 PM']If you are absolutely stuck Gwil, NewTone strings actually made custom strings for my 7er (the low F#) that was designed around the tension of the string itself. You could see what they can offer you?[/quote]

hi Dood, thanks for the advice and if I get stuck, I'll certainly consider it! Although, I never thought of custom ordering a set of strings before. I'll lookup them up anyway - can do any harm can it? Unless I end up with a bass with a low F#. :) ;)

[quote name='chris_b' post='130267' date='Jan 29 2008, 08:06 PM']DR Lo-Riders.[/quote]

Cool, thanks Chris. I do like the DRs so I'll look into the low riders and see how they compare to the hi-beams. Have you tried both? What did you think the main differences were betweem them?

Keep 'em coming!

G.