Why become a member? ×

Want to play in front of thousands?

Roland Rock

My band is '[url="http://www.rebelrebelband.co.uk/"]Rebel Rebel[/url]', a Bowie Tribute. The problem is that I can't gig in May, but there's a [url="http://www.glastonbudget.net/"]festival[/url] that the guys really want to do.

We have the audition this sunday, and if successful, the band will need a dep for this gig. Apparently it's a cracking festival with big crowds.

Just putting feelers out at this stage - not a paid gig so not sure whether you would be rewarded financially for your work. We'll get through the audition first!

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1129002' date='Feb 15 2011, 10:18 PM']Just putting feelers out at this stage - not a paid gig so not sure whether you would be rewarded financially for your work. We'll get through the audition first![/quote]

Not paid? Really? A couple of bands that I used to play in did it after I left,and got paid nicely for it.

Either that or our keyboard player is pulling a sly one!
I'll double check myself what the payment situation is when at the audition.

It's possible that there are a range of bands from nationally known big tributes who are well paid, to locally known smaller tributes who will play for peanuts/nowt just for the experience/exposure. Seems you were in the former and I'm in the latter!

Edited by Roland Rock

• 3 weeks later...

Totally fair. Three main reasons:

1: They changed the audition schedule around at the last minute to a time that was very inconvenient for several of the members.
2: Some said they didn't want to play unless it was with me on bass (nice to feel valued for once!).
3: Some were never happy about the lack of money.

[quote name='dbass' post='1153444' date='Mar 8 2011, 09:52 AM']Was this festival by any chance "Glastonbudget" ?

You can PM me if you want but we had exactly the same experience.[/quote]

Yup - I snuck the link into the OP - interested to hear your experiences - will PM you

[quote name='algmusic' post='1156612' date='Mar 10 2011, 01:54 PM']correct me if i'm wrong. This an audition to play in a festival that they charge £58 and £33 for day tickets to the punters and the band get F*ck all.

I have two words for that :-)[/quote]

Two words that rhyme with 'duck fat'? :)
From Doddy's reply above, it seems they pay decent money for bigger bands, but seem to take advantage of less established bands

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1157373' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:50 PM']Two words that rhyme with 'duck fat'? :)
From Doddy's reply above, it seems they pay decent money for bigger bands, but seem to take advantage of less established bands[/quote]

I just noticed a friend and fellow muso played for Blurb on drums.. he wouldn't do that for free. I guess he was in the first group you mentioned

Funny that, people taking advantage of less well known bands to give them a boost.

It is a real shame that promoters can't just be fair and atleast give the lesser bands a bit of dosh to help them out.

The music inductry sure is tough.

Chatting to a friend who is in an originals band he says he rarely gets paid gigs.

That's very sad :)

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1157447' date='Mar 10 2011, 11:36 PM']Funny that, people taking advantage of less well known bands to give them a boost.

It is a real shame that promoters can't just be fair and atleast give the lesser bands a bit of dosh to help them out.

Chatting to a friend who is in an originals band he says he rarely gets paid gigs.

That's very sad :)[/quote]

It's a dog eat dog world, promotors are only in it for the £££, if you find one who says they're not.. they are. Some still have proper love for music, but love £££ more.

I know an originals band whom made no profit for five years, gigged the London scene, and me bringing a mate along to a gig who worked for Sony ended up getting them signed. They're now fairly big, not mentioning names though as that's not their back story. :)

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1157447' date='Mar 10 2011, 11:36 PM']Funny that, people taking advantage of less well known bands to give them a boost.

That's very sad :)[/quote]

The reason is simple. Too many original bands will play for free

It's not a problem not getting paid for playing if no ones making any money (eg original band night in little pub).
If it's a professional ticketed event I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be paid. I would rather rehearse for nothing than be exploited at a festival.
It just makes it harder for every other tribute band if you do it for nothing whilst they try to negotiate a fair fee.

If there's no expences then in real terms it will cost you.

Edited by geoffbassist

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='1157754' date='Mar 11 2011, 10:23 AM']It's not a problem not getting paid for playing if no ones making any money (eg original band night in little pub).
If it's a professional ticketed event I can't see any reason why you shouldn't be paid. I would rather rehearse for nothing than be exploited at a festival.
It just makes it harder for every other tribute band if you do it for nothing whilst they try to negotiate a fair fee.

If there's no expences then in real terms it will cost you.[/quote]

I agree, by beef is the middle ground venues where promoters are making money off the back of a bands who get nothing. But I blame the bands. I think it's important for bands negotiate. First gig free or expenses, next gig if better some form of fee. If all bands did this the good bands would have more chance to get off the ground and the bands, would have to work harder..