Why become a member? ×

Well, I re EQ'd my amp

sk8

I bought an Eden N8 to use as a practice amp and left the eq flat. Prior to this i had been using an Ashdown MAG300 2x10 combo.

I had all sorts of issues with the sound of the MAG initially until i pushed the Deep and Bright buttons in. I played with the eq and got a sound i liked with every knob tweaked somehow.

After playing the N8 for a month or so i went back to the mag and hated the sound; the soultion, i turned the eq off so its basically flat. I use my bass to control the tone, even though it is passive.

Anyone else do this?

[quote name='sk8' post='129231' date='Jan 28 2008, 12:59 PM']I bought an Eden N8 to use as a practice amp and left the eq flat. Prior to this i had been using an Ashdown MAG300 2x10 combo.

I had all sorts of issues with the sound of the MAG initially until i pushed the Deep and Bright buttons in. I played with the eq and got a sound i liked with every knob tweaked somehow.

After playing the N8 for a month or so i went back to the mag and hated the sound; the soultion, i turned the eq off so its basically flat. I use my bass to control the tone, even though it is passive.

Anyone else do this?[/quote]

I used to use Warwick basses through an Ampeg SVT III Pro and SWR cabs, and always had some sort of EQ setting. Then I bought a Marcus Miller Jazz and for some reason, could not get a sound I liked and/or volume issues.

I ended up on an Ampeg forum and found really good advice about setting everything flat, except the +/-db control on the EQ, which they advised to set to maximum. Then I used the controls on the jazz, and actually found that 99% of the time after that, I very rarely tweeked the EQ.

I've now got an EBS TD650 with EBS Neo cabs, and do exactly the same with that. I'm very happy with all the tonality coming from the bass, and only adjust bass/mid/treble, etc. on the amp to suit certain stages/rooms.

[quote name='sk8' post='129231' date='Jan 28 2008, 12:59 PM']I bought an Eden N8 to use as a practice amp and left the eq flat. Prior to this i had been using an Ashdown MAG300 2x10 combo.

Anyone else do this?[/quote]

I basically bypass whole EQ section too on my Trace. Could never seem to get a tone I liked without endless fiddling. Sound comes from a Behringer Sansamp-clone pedal thingy....

With smaller gigs I just go straight into an old WEM Dominator, with the treble & bass controls set flat. Tones simply coming from whatever bass I'm using,technique, etc...

Edited by nick

[quote name='nick' post='129252' date='Jan 28 2008, 01:25 PM']With smaller gigs I just go straight into an old WEM Dominator, with the treble & bass controls set flat. Tones simply coming from whatever bass I'm using,technique, etc...[/quote]
WEM Dominator – blimey that takes me back. The Pink Floyd album cover with all the gear outside a truck (“Ummagumma?”) includes a couple of WEM’s

[quote name='Shaggy' post='129348' date='Jan 28 2008, 03:43 PM']WEM Dominator – blimey that takes me back. The Pink Floyd album cover with all the gear outside a truck (“Ummagumma?”) includes a couple of WEM’s[/quote]

Nicest amp I've ever used. Only 17 watts, but it's a loud 17 watts!
Was a really lucky find - I love it
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1832&hl=dominator"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=dominator[/url]

[quote name='nick' post='129252' date='Jan 28 2008, 01:25 PM']I basically bypass whole EQ section too on my Trace. Could never seem to get a tone I liked without endless fiddling. Sound comes from a Behringer Sansamp-clone pedal thingy....[/quote]

+1

When I used SWR gear, my EMG'd Precision with jazz p/up added sounded great with the EQ totally flat and 50/50 on the blend pot, biasing in either direction for punch or snap.

[quote name='TPJ' post='131538' date='Jan 31 2008, 09:47 PM']Same here. I use a Sadowsky outboard pre with just the bass turned up ever so slightly through an Acoustic Image Focus II set flat. Let the bass speak for itself.[/quote]

I play Sadowsky basses and I want to buy a new small amp. The AI Focus is my first option. What kind of basses do you play through your Sadowsky outboard->AI Focus rig and how's the tone? TIA I really love the tube warmth of my Read Purity preamp into the QSC, but I need something small and portable.