Why become a member? ×

what strings suit my playing style?

gizmo6789

Hi everyone.

I play in a band, we play some really heavy songs, and at the same time some really melodic stuff. im wondering what strings i should be using, the really heavy gauge stuff, or something in the midway? i generally play 5 string tuned CGCFA, i use a pick about 60% of the time the rest of the time i pluck with fingers.

Is there anyone in a similar playing situation to me who can maybe shed some light on what strings they use?
Im sure the strings on my 5 stringer just is .105 down to i think .085, im not sure so dont judge me on that.

any suggestions will be welcomed warmly

Gareth

It largely depends on the type of sound you're after. Personally for metal I like having an aggressive slightly overdriven tone with lots of attack, almost clangy if you like. Think Jack Gibson from Exodus. I use stainless steel strings and swear by them. However if you like a smoother/warmer sound you might prefer the 'standard' nickel ones. If playing in standard BEADG i would use .130 gauge for the bottom string, but since you're essentially tuning up half a step you might want to try something like a .125 . Bass Centre Elites do both a nickel and a stainless steel set and they're not badly priced either, i strongly recommend them :) have fun!

He's not tuning up, he's taking E A D G B tuning (essentially just a guitar minus the high E) down two tones.

I think as big a 5 string set you can lay your hands on would be perfect for your situation.

Alternatively just just set up a 5 string in it's natural configuration (B E A D G) and move all the unison parts to other places ont the neck.

Edited by Hamsalad

The intervals are all over the place so it is not just a case of dropping 2 tones across the strings.

Conventionally two tones down would be C.F.Bb.Eb.Ab.

It doesn't matter to me that the variation in a 5th from the C to as little as a major 3rd from the F.
I think the gauges I mention would be ok-ish but if heavey handed and with a picky maybe go up 5 thou per string if you can get them in those steps.

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1126405' date='Feb 13 2011, 08:41 PM']Us metal guys play in some crazy tunings so it's not that alien to me :) Who are your favourita bassists by the way? It might give me a fair idea of the sort of tone you're chasing[/quote]

We do don't we. Well im influenced by Killswitch Engage, Black Daliah Murder, Bullet for my Valentine. some Deftones, System of a Down that kind of stuff,
[url="http://www.facebook.com/lostpersonascotland?v=app_178091127385&ref=ts"]Click here to listen to my band and make your own judgements. :)[/url]

just wondering also, why would you go to the trouble and expense of buying a heavy 4 string set and then an individual heavier 5th string when you could buy a pack of heavy 5 string sets?

I must still be a bit tired, I said pretty much the opposite of what I meant! Since you're playing in a drop tuning, you'd get the best results if the bottom string was significantly thicker than the others. I play in A-D-G-C-F-Ab and my gauges are 152 - 113 - 85 - 63 - 46 - 34. So if it was me I'd want something similar to the 113 - 34. But since the bottom string is dropped another step, I'd go for even thicker so that the string doesn't flop too much :) It's difficult to find such oddly matched sets, so if you want to be fussy like me you have to either mix and match single strings, or go for a custom set. I get mine from Newtone Strings

Checked out your band, it's not the usual thing I'd listen to but it's good stuff! You'd get away with nickel wound strings there for sure if you prefer them. And your frets will probably thank you!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1126417' date='Feb 13 2011, 08:49 PM']The intervals are all over the place so it is not just a case of dropping 2 tones across the strings.

Conventionally two tones down would be C.F.Bb.Eb.Ab.

It doesn't matter to me that the variation in a 5th from the C to as little as a major 3rd from the F.
I think the gauges I mention would be ok-ish but if heavey handed and with a picky maybe go up 5 thou per string if you can get them in those steps.[/quote]

Your right that you can't just drop two tones across each string. you have to tune the second string to the 7th fret of the top string. and then tune the bottom string, (in this case the A string) to the 4th fret of your 4th string.

[quote name='Hamsalad' post='1126406' date='Feb 13 2011, 08:41 PM']He's not tuning up, he's taking E A D G B tuning (essentially just a guitar minus the high E) down two tones.[/quote]
No he's not. Taking it from where you say,the E is dropped by two tones and the rest are dropped by one.
However,as a 'standard' 5 string is BEADG,he's actually tuning the low B string up a semitone,the high G up a tone,and the rest up a minor third.

So, going from there,I'd be more inclined to get slightly lighter strings than heavier ones.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1126821' date='Feb 14 2011, 11:16 AM']And I noticed that the band is endorsed by a brand of strings, so why not ask them what they say?[/quote]

Dovetail strings... not a real endorsement.

The tuning is a fairly standard guitar tuning (drop C) minus the top D.

To balance the string tensions, you really want to be going for:

A: .040"
F: .050"
C: .070"
G: .090"
C: .130"

You'll probably have to make up that yourself.

What I'd do is to slap on a set of Rotosound Funkmasters (.030 - .090) with an additional stainless steel .130 and see what the volume balance is like.

I'll chime in my usual here! :)

I used to play a lot in C, F, Bb, Eb (Drop C Standard), I used 45-105 strings and had pretty low action and normal tension.....how?....higher tension strings!
Use whatever gauge you're comfortable with then get a tension to match your tuning....of course this is generally not offered by most string companies who spout on and on about 'thicker gauges being necessary for low tunings'.

Check out Newtone Strings who I use, they'll custom wind you anything for the same price as Elites/Rotos and cheaper than DR's etc.
Just tell them your needs and they'll hook you up

Downside of higher tension strings, is that you can't really tune them up to standard EADG, you'll banana your neck as you snap the strings. I had two basses constantly setup in Drop C standard, so thats why it worked for me.

Si

[quote name='Doddy' post='1126793' date='Feb 14 2011, 10:47 AM']No he's not. Taking it from where you say,the E is dropped by two tones and the rest are dropped by one.
However,as a 'standard' 5 string is BEADG,he's actually tuning the low B string up a semitone,the high G up a tone,and the rest up a minor third.

So, going from there,I'd be more inclined to get slightly lighter strings than heavier ones.[/quote]

I am a fool. I meant he's taking a standard drop D tuning down two steps.

[quote name='Hamsalad' post='1128622' date='Feb 15 2011, 05:32 PM']I am a fool. I meant he's taking a standard drop D tuning down two steps.[/quote]

From standard guitar tuning it's drop D a whole step lower,but from 'standard' 5 string bass tuning it's tuned higher.

Ah the auld SOAD tuning. If you've got the cash try DR DDT's. Circle K strings might be worth a look also. I wouldnt get a set of 5's and try to tune up,up,down,up,up. Thats just waaay to sonic youth, (a phase which led to the death of my duosonic.)

Edited by Mog

right finally got it sorted.

7string was fixing the numerous issues with my bass ( truss rod, action, intonation, pots....etc etc etc)

and between the two of us we found a good set up of strings, we mixed and matched. so i am now tuned in CGCFA⧣ with 130 100 75 65 40 ( if remember rightly)

Used the bass for the first time in 3 years last night at our gig in Ivory Blacks which went very very well. just need to lower the bridge pick up slightly and il be rocking.