Why become a member? ×

So I gave my Fender Deluxe American to my tech at college..

civictiger

He had a little fiddle with it, he said he wanted to.
He changed the intonation to spot-on, which is great, but now the action is HORENDOUS to play on. I literally odnt wanna play my bass anymore, and I dont wanna take it back to him because tbh he just isnt my cup of tea.
And I got horendous fret buzz JUST on the A string, I never had any problems before.

Can anyone be kind enough to tell me how I can fix all these issues? I am a slightly (very slightly) hard player, and he slackened off the truss rod so I cant play how I usually do.
He has changed the action via saddles, changed their lenghts and adjusted the truss rod.
I am so annoyed!

And I remember after I had given it to him that he did once before warp the neck on my old Yamaha, this was ofcourse too late as he had already gotten his hands on it!
Since I get A string buzz, my neck isnt warped, is it?

Sounds like a mix of he hasn't a clue what he's doing and he's set it up to his preference. Take it to a real [i]guitar[/i] tech, tell him how you want it set up & pay him to do it.
Then learn not to lend your bass - for whatever reason I can't guess - to the "tech" at your college.

Usally buzzing on the A-string, when its open indicates that there arent enough windings on the machinehead. If however it is on most/every fretted note, there is something else that needs looking at.

I`m with Big Stu on this, one, I don`t think the guy really knows what he is doing, and two, take it to a pro, and get it done properly. Once you`ve had a bass sorted by a pro it will play so much better, you`ll never let anyone else touch it. I couldn`t believe the difference it made to mine - and I thought it played well before I took it in!

Search for some setup guides, there are countless ones out there. Read them, understand them, then examine your bass and adjust to your taste. There is no black magic at work here, just a series of simple factors which combine into something which seems to intimidate a lot of people. You can fix this if you just put a bit of time into understanding it.

Sounds like he's a guitarist, they always seem to want to set up with a low action.

If you do want to try and do it yourself, as has been said on here before, the Fender guide thats on their website is pretty good, start from there, and then adjust to your taste. A pro will no doubt do a better job, but it will do you good to try and learn how its done.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1127058' date='Feb 14 2011, 02:07 PM']Search for some setup guides, there are countless ones out there. Read them, understand them, then examine your bass and adjust to your taste. There is no black magic at work here, just a series of simple factors which combine into something which seems to intimidate a lot of people. You can fix this if you just put a bit of time into understanding it.[/quote]

+1

Setting up a guitar really isn't a black art. Just a simple set of steps that can be followed in minutes. Once the steps are known/followed then it is just fine tuning after that. The real benefit of knowing yourself is that you can get any bass to exactly how you like it and only you know that.

[quote name='civictiger' post='1126113' date='Feb 13 2011, 05:00 PM']....He changed the intonation to spot-on, which is great, but now the action is HORENDOUS to play on. I literally odnt wanna play my bass anymore, and I dont wanna take it back to him because tbh he just isnt my cup of tea. And I got horendous fret buzz JUST on the A string, I never had any problems before....[/quote]
It's not a big deal if the action is too low. Just raise the saddles until you get the string height you like. My Wal has a low action and all the strings buzz but not when I plug it in. So buzzing doesn't always indicate a problem.

Sounds like you got used to playing a badly set up bass and don't like it now it's been fixed. You could change your technique?