Why become a member? ×

Stingrays of the mid 80's

Jigster

....as I don't want to bore people.

But am seeking the lowdown on mid 80's Rays - I guess the EBMM era, not so much pre-EBMM.

I used to have a 2008 Stingray which was cool, shouldn't have sold it, but are the 80's Rays very different in sound to the modern Ray, are they noticably more 'vintage' in their sound, in the way a 60's Fender P has a diff sound to a 2010 P and so on...?

Mid 80's is the most difficult era to define Jigster. Unto 84 is pre EB as I guess you know which sounds pretty much like any 2eq Ray but without body contours and a glossy neck being the main differences along with either a 3 or 4 bolt neck. Then there are 84> transition models where they are kind of bitsa versions still with pre EB bridges leaving room for fakery too. No pre EBs have contour body's afaik so that's the thing to look for. Then about 86> to the early 90's most have foam bridge mutes but with smaller thumb turn screws than my 82', nice birdseye maple necks, and at some point the 6 bolt neck bought in for the 5 string in 87 appears on the 4 string making the best of all worlds IMO ( although it's the version I strangely don't own an example of) Sound wise though all the 2 bands are very similar although much fuss about the epoxy coated 76>79 preamp is talked about. My pre certainly has a slightly warmer sound which could be aged pups or the slightly different pup, who knows?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1124446' date='Feb 11 2011, 10:17 PM']Just get a 2EQ non-Classic. You can get a Black, Red or Blue without a hardcase for under £1k new, (padded gig bag).

My 2EQ was a bit more as it's a more expensive colour plus a hardcase....very nice huge fat tone.

A HH will give you the option for a big fat neck H tone :)[/quote]

i used to know the link for those black and red ones, what is it again?

Thanks for all the comments guys -

Would be of help to hear views on how much Rays rock out - some might say they lack bottom end?? I play in a three piece alongside a Gibson LP and a full on drummer.

My impression is the Rays sit in the mix with a nice mid punch?? Will they underpin the sound and hold it down?

Your best bet is to try one out then but I dont think you will be wanting for any bottom Ooo Err! If your looking for that sort of sound I think you will prefer a 2 EQ, I know there is a lot of crap about them all sounding the same but they just dont, The 3EQ has a certain something you cant dial out not that its bad 2 of my 3 Rays are 3 EQ remember and it helps to cut through in some circumstances. The warmth of the 2EQ though is where it is for me right now. I would be most happy with the neck finish and feel of my pre EB , a 2EQ preamp but with the 5 strings of the Ray5 so it looks like a Classic Ray5 might have to be test driven one day......

Get out there and try some mate sounds like your next step you never know you might not like them? Im not a Ray pusher just a man who likes them alot and welcomes more users to the fold :) Some people Im told happen to like playing Rickys so its a strange old world :)

Do you know what MM20 I [u]always[/u] on all 3 Rays have the bass boost on full ! I try and reduce it but somehow I like it that way oddly it was Derek Holt from the Climax blues band who started me off doing it that way, He said here you go this is the classic ray sound Full bass, tiny touch of mid just off the indent and a tiny bit of treble boost maybe a few mm to the plus side. I dont even know why I listened to him but its stuck :)

One of the three basses I ever owned was a mid 80's Stingray. I was told that this was an 83, but it was a 2EQ EBMM (white with black scratchplate) - when was the transition from pre to post EB?
Anyway, it was my first 'real' bass - beautifully built and a lovely player - nice bit of birdseye in the neck, too.
I never got on with the tone, however. Found my soul mate in a P ... (run for cover)

In hindsight, I was young and inexperienced - it's possible I wasn't twiddling the knobs the right way