Why become a member? ×

The Rockin' Roadie's Collection

TheRockinRoadie

I've noticed alot of users on here have a thread where they post their gear pics, so I thought maybe its time I had one too!

Alot of change happened at the end of last year, so I'll start from there!

Started off with these...

-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz IV "Roxxanne" - Had this since 2007/8
-Washburn Taurus T-24 "Ryta" - Given to me by fellow basschatter Fatboytoo/Richard - who has since passed away ='[
-2003 MiM Precision "Rex"
-Epiphone EB-3 "Red" - my first 'proper' bass, back in 2005 (I think)

Then also borrowed a Lakland 44-02 and a Warwick corvette from Richard. It was clear to me that the 44-02 would not be going home, so I sold off the Washburn and the Epiphone! Leaving me with...

But then Christmas came around, so I finally got round to upgrading the Precision!

So far I have had alot of good feedback about the Precision in the Precision & Black Basses threads - cheers everyone! Yesterday was the first decent sunny day, so I decided to take some more group shots...

Amp wise, I started off with an Ashdown Electric Blue 12-180, which served me well for a couple of years! Then moved on to a Marshall MB450H with the matching MBC115 cab. Its not the most amazing amp in the world, but it works for me. Amp will probably be the next upgrade, now I'm happy with my basses!

Pedalboard is straight forward. Korg Pitchblack, Boss OC-2, Weeping Demon, Digitech Bass Driver, Boss GEB-7 and an EHX Clone Theory. I did have an AKG wireless unit, but when I started to use the Lakland regularly, I noticed it sucked ALOT of tone! They are housed in a Kinsman pedalboard, and powered by a wall wart with a 1 spot daisy chain. Need to upgrade the cabling - but currently using an Elixir lead instead of the wireless!

It might not be the most amazing collection in the world - but they're mine, and I try to look after them as best as I can. Any comments or suggestions, feel free! More updates will of course follow, thanks for reading,

Lorry :)

• 3 weeks later...

Updates!

I've returned home from the BGM Show (Cheers Nick & Co!) with an EHX Bass Muff and some Planet Waves patch cables! The Digitech is definately going, and I think the Wah will follow - Its a nice toy, but i dont use it and it has a huge footprint. I might shuffle my board round to accomodate my footswitch.

A fantastic day was had by all, some great gear and performances (even my girlfriend enjoyed herself!).

I cant really give a valid oppinion, as i only had it for three weeks.

It was a great bass. It felt nice to play, it was simple and effective. The neck pickup was incredibly warm, and the bridge pickup was rounded and defined. I have recommended this bass to people since. The guy who bought it from me seemed fairly chuffed with it, he played it live on the radio a week later!

But as you will know - Go try one yourself, its the only way to know!

New pics as promised!

Im going from the pedalboard above, to this!

The only thing thats missing from the picture is the twin footswitch for the amp, which goes in the space under the Clone Theory. The Muff Fuzz is fantastic! Definately an improvement over the Digitech, will is still a good all round pedal IMO.

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' post='1163332' date='Mar 15 2011, 05:02 PM']I cant really give a valid oppinion, as i only had it for three weeks.

It was a great bass. It felt nice to play, it was simple and effective. The neck pickup was incredibly warm, and the bridge pickup was rounded and defined. I have recommended this bass to people since. The guy who bought it from me seemed fairly chuffed with it, he played it live on the radio a week later!

But as you will know - Go try one yourself, its the only way to know![/quote]
Thanks,i never buy anything without trying it first,and have played a couple,but it seems im stuck in a traditional shape bass rut.

• 4 months later...

August 2011 updates!

Some of you may have noticed my thread about looking for something to get me in the same ballpark as Phil Lynotts tone on 'Waiting for an Alibi' and 'Dancing in the Moonlight'. After having alot of fun with an original Mu-tron III that I borrowed from a friend, I ordered an MXR Phase 90! Having a good laugh with it so far. Its more or less what I was after, so that was a good use of my spare £65.

After a weekend with my other half, I've striped the board down, given it a good hoover, cleaned all the patch cables (apparently Pete Cornish reckons it helps to 'free the tone'?) and reassembled after testing! I'm supprised I didn't put a picture up of my board in the state its been since getting the Muff. I put the amp footswitch on so I didn't keep having to get that in and out of a separate box - so here's the before...

...and after...

I'm really getting on well with the board now. Still trying to sell my old Digitech Bass Driver, and the Demon wah lives in my cupboard incase I decide to use it in the future. Mixing the Muff with the Phase 90 makes an insane sound, but obviously I'll never find a use for it! My band are auditioning for Vocalists this coming Sunday, so that will give me a good chance to put it through its paces!

The only thing I need for this board is an In/Out box with a bypass switch. Only the Boss pedals are high enough to clear the edge of the board, hence I have had to leave a gap after the Phase 90 to put the amp cable in. On my guitar board, I have a simple box that has two jacks and two sockets, which I use to keep everything tidy. I might knock something similar up to use with this board, providing I can find room for it! If anyone has any ideas then please let me know!

Thanks for reading,

The Rockin' Roadie

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

Decided to 'get the basses out' for a quick session last weekend...

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/5ocj9j.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2yjrgw2.jpg[/IMG]

And a group shot with my ex's Milestone III - she helped take the pics and lent me her decent camera!
[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/fwj0p1.jpg[/IMG]

Cheers,
L

Edited by TheRockinRoadie

• 1 year later...

Bit of an empty cavern in here - great to be back though!

The trusty Fenders and Lakland are still happily in my stable, however it's the Washburn 1000 Series headless i recently acquired who gets the Lion's share of gigs! Meet Remi (Named after the previous owner's daughter, sticking with my R theme)...

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/28bu34l.jpg[/IMG]

These days, the Marshall MB450H & MBC115 were sold on (it was well overdue, they werent that great) and bought an older Ashdown MAG300 head, after threatening to go back for years.

Best. Decision. Ever!

I tried the new MAG heads, but they just didn't sound as good as a friend's older head, which I had the opportunity to buy. Buy this point, I had also acquired a Genz Benz 210T XB2 cabinet. They make such a great combination it hurts! I haven't got many decent pictures, but this one will do for the moment...

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2cf5wrp.jpg[/IMG]
(also note the 1959 Carlton drum kit, which is mine also, long story)

I've also dropped my pedalboard - I wasn't using half of the stuff on it (it was built for my old rock band). Instead I'm running a SansAmp Programmable DI, and im so so happy with just the basic rig. Last weekend I modified an old microphone flight case to house the SansAmp and also my Pitchblack. There's still room for more accessories yet so watch this space.

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/20zd5qc.jpg[/IMG]

I've actually been spending my hard earned cash on making Cables and PA gear, which makes a refreshing change!

Band these days is Krusty Whiskas, playing classic tracks from the 50s & 60s onwards. Think of it as a rock n roll / 60s pop band that formed in the 80s. Having so much fun! I've since dispensed with the long hair and beard also...

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/2qb6flc.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/vylitu.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2ezn2wj.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/24xev75.jpg[/IMG]

Cheers everyone. Always up for chatting and ideas :)

The best bit, is that's actually a farm trailer, not an arctic trailer, so it's shorter and wider. It was also REALLY rusty and we had to wipe practically everything down afterwards!

The Drum kit is a 1959 Carlton 501 with the rare 'Cracker' snare. My drummer was after some 'vintage sounding cymbals' to differentiate between his two bands. At the time, i was running a community recording studio. We had quite a lot of gear donations, and one day I walked in to find this knackered old drum kit dumped under the stairs. I rang said drum and went 'I've found your cymbals, trouble is theyre attached to a kit'. He cam over to have a look, and I made the centre an offer on the kit, as i happened to have a bit of cash on me.

We've then taken each piece apart in turn, cleaned it up, and fitted with new skins. Turns out the cymbals weren't any good (ironically), and neither was the hardware. So, we're running a freshly restored set of vintage shells with modern hardware and Sabian cymbals. We get a lot of compliments on it and the restoration. The snare is waiting upon a new snare wire, and I have a set of Bongo's still to clean up. But yeah, it's a nice old kit with a new lease of life, and suits the band down to the ground! :)

• 4 months later...

Can't believe I haven't posted yet this year!

I got a great bargain this week on a really old (1997?) ABM300 1x15 combo, which sounds fantastic.

I came up with a cunning plan to swap the MAG and ABM heads over, leaving me with an ABM head and a MAG combo.

I've also changed the preamp valve in attempt to breathe some new life into her.

I'll pop some pictures up later this weekend once I've finished the process. I'll be keeping both amps, so I feel a little ashdown collection coming on...

Cheers buddy! That's the Mm Jazz through the SansAmp and MAG. We miced the cabinet with a D112 and sent some Di signals via a posh preamp thing!

We recorded with my friend who is a professional touring and session bassist and he kept complimenting my sound all day, which is the best compliment ever for me.

I'm looking forward to trying the Abm out at our next rehearsal!

• 2 months later...

So finally took the plunge today and bought an Ashdown CTM-100 head from the top ten at Pmt Birmingham. My prehistoric ABM300 popped it's valve stage at a gig a few weeks ago (sobsob), so I thought I'd fulfill my dream and get a valve amp.

Had a quick rehearsal with the band today, and I must say that I'm incredibly impressed, as far as first impressions go.

I'll get some pics and some sort of review up soon!