Why become a member? ×

What Video Cameras do you use

gizmo6789

Hi

Im thinking of showing the people of youtube and of course you BC'ers what im made of, but id like to know whats the best "AFFORDABLE" camera to use? obviously HD would be good. Or, let me know what kind of camera you lot use, would be interesting to see the variety, open my eyes wider than the Argos catologue y'kno.

Thanks

Gareth

Sony EX1!!

Haha... nah they're not the most affordable option, there was a bit of a following for the Canon HV20 and HV30 amongst low budget film makers a couple of years back. Since then I've not kept up on what took over but they hung around the 500-600 range. But personally, unless you're doing something seriously professional, I think it doesn't matter much. A lot of 'budget' cameras are of perfectly usable quality, but important things to consider are things like performance in low light, and what kind of storage media you want to use - and also how the footage is encoded. Some formats can be a pain to edit with and need to be re-encoded before you can even start chopping them up!

If you're shooting for Youtube then the best thing to do is make sure youve got something that can do 720P at a minimum (which I doubt is rare these days) and most importantly NEVER use onboard camera mics if you want something to sound good. Now here's the problem - most band videos suffer from terrible audio and one of the things that's often ommitted from budget cameras in order to get people to buy the next one up is some kind of audio/mic input. I get tired of seeing videos on Youtube where somebody is trying to demonstrate their amazing bass or guitar or cab, without realising that the terrible camera mic and poor recording environment make the whole recording practically pointless!

I've done some semi-pro band/gig shoots and the cameras I've used have usually had XLR inputs that cover audio, but I've always got a trusty Zoom H4 to cover my back just in case! So if you want to do some proper recording then some kind of digital audio recorder is a handy thing to have :)

I've got a [url="http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Camcorders/High_Definition_HD/LEGRIA_HF_200/"]Canon HF200[/url] HD cam - it uses a flash memory card instead of a internal hard drive - which knocks about £200 off the price of the exact same camera that comes with the internal hard drive - it has stunning picture quality and many cool features on the camera - it was also a Which? best buy recommendation a year or so back.

Two of my videos on my YouTube Channel were recorded using the top of the range Logitech webcam!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/doodonbass"]http://www.youtube.com/doodonbass[/url]

bit of sweep tapping and other 'tasteful nonsense'!!

And this video was taken with a DV camera!!

I think I know which I prefer!!

my other vide was actually done professionally, but it has suffered the woes of heavy compression making it look..well.. grainy.

Incidently, all the recording and editing was done with very minimal outlay. There's quite a lot to explain and maybe if I pull my finger out, I'll get round to showing you how I got my results with a proper walk through.

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1120646' date='Feb 8 2011, 09:12 PM']The sound Quality is really good on that video, is that the true quality from the camera or over dubbed?[/quote]

As it turns out the sound (although a live recording has been dubbed over the video. Never knew that :)

Using the same method that I recorded the above videos with, here's a recording I did at the weekend of my mate doing his version of the Chimp Spanner track, 'Bad Code'.

Once again, this is a single take with a Webcam. I miked the kit and sent the stereo signal from a mixer directly in to my 2 channel interface. My DAW had the backing track that I fed to Carl via the line output on the interface to a sub mixer for his lug ole levels. My laptop recorded the video as well as the audio feed. We only had a certain amount of gear to play with and none of it was specific for recording acoustic instruments! - I'm very pleased with both Carl's playing and my audio and visual engineering! - All post production/ mixing was done with free software on my laptop.

Hope ya like the track too! p.s. the click is actually on the backing track supplied.