Why become a member? ×

6-string chord positions

SwordRaven

Hey guys, I'm looking for a bit of advice on playing chords on my six string bass.

I have it tuned low B to high C.

I'm having a lot of trouble actually finding any resources on the web that make sense to me- I guess what I'm after is like those things you get for guitars, the chord diagrams but it's hard to find for a 6-string bass as far as I can tell.

Any tips or sites of interest would be great, otherwise should I just get my rhythm guitarist to teach me some chords and work out their positions on my fretboard? I want to be able to play some chordal stuff in the band.

I hope that makes sense, Cheers,
Pete :)

A major chord can be fingered as so - using C major as an example C index finger 13th fret on the B string, E middle finger 14th fret on the D string, and B little finger 16th fret on the G string.

For a minor chord just move the middle and little fingers down a semi tone.

For a dominant 7th chord use the same fingering as a major chord, but instead of playing the B with your little finger, play a Bb with your ring finger, for C7 obviously.

Move the shapes about for other chords.

There are many other ways, but I prefer this as you get a nice sort of piano vibe going on, sort of anyway.

This is a good book [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chord-Bassics-Compact-Reference-Library/dp/0825610583/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1201302501&sr=8-9"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chord-Bassics-Comp...2501&sr=8-9[/url]

It's designed for a 4 string bass, but you can use it just the same on a 6, try adding some octave root notes for a fuller sound.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='128097' date='Jan 25 2008, 11:45 PM'][url="http://www.guitar-and-bass.com/sixstringbass/index.html"]http://www.guitar-and-bass.com/sixstringbass/index.html[/url]

is a great resource Dood put me on to for 6 ers.[/quote]

H3ll y3@h!!!!!!

I'm afraid I'm going to give a very boring answer - learn the notes of the neck, learn chord construction ( eg what notes are in what chord ) and then apply this to the neck. This will help you in the long run much more than learning a bunch of shapes.

It's a bit like the music version of the "teach a man to fish..." story :)

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='130889' date='Jan 30 2008, 07:06 PM']I'm afraid I'm going to give a very boring answer - learn the notes of the neck, learn chord construction ( eg what notes are in what chord ) and then apply this to the neck. This will help you in the long run much more than learning a bunch of shapes.

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

+1000, having a good knowledge of musical theory is essential, as is knowing your way around the fingerboard.

It helps if you can 'see' the chord notes, then you can just put your fingers where ever needed.

[quote name='Alun' post='130889' date='Jan 30 2008, 07:06 PM']I'm afraid I'm going to give a very boring answer - learn the notes of the neck, learn chord construction ( eg what notes are in what chord ) and then apply this to the neck. This will help you in the long run much more than learning a bunch of shapes.

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

Or you can give him a fiver and he can go down the chippy and eat for a day.

Seriously, the best way is what alun says, learn the theory and you will never be short for chord shapes.

I'm not too shabby with my music theory, I can form a chord if I know what the key/scale is being used. This is more of a quick reference so that I can look up different chords more quickly at band practice.

If I don't get my cool bass bits in a song early, the lead guitarist will literally solo from start to finish :)