Why become a member? ×

Velvet Animas

Beedster

Hi folks

Bought a set of these a while back and am looking to install them this weekend. The packaging suggest that the action may need adjusting on the basis that they are low tension. I'm running a non-adjustable bridge so don't have any room for adjustment really. What is the likely difference in action/playability going to be (I'm playing Tomastik Spiro Weich on this bass at present)?

Many thanks

Chris

EDIT

These are now for sale below :)

Edited by Beedster

Very hard to say...every bass is different, set ups vary..and double bass strings can be extremely different in size, composition, material etc. But having said all that, if you are going from Spiro's (pretty high tension) to a more modern composite core (ie not twisted steel) then you'll probably find they area lot more flexible/floppy so you would need to to raise the action to play cleanly. Think of going from Roto flats to TI flats on a bass guitar, then scale up accordingly!

You may get lucky and find they play ok once you have adjusted to the change. I'd suggest you try them, but give yourself a week to let you and the bass adjust to the change.

PS Don't forget to look at the diameter of the new strings, and consider if your current nut is slotted wide enough to let them sit properly in the grooves.

[quote name='BassBod' post='1114961' date='Feb 4 2011, 09:34 AM']Very hard to say...every bass is different, set ups vary..and double bass strings can be extremely different in size, composition, material etc. But having said all that, if you are going from Spiro's (pretty high tension) to a more modern composite core (ie not twisted steel) then you'll probably find they area lot more flexible/floppy so you would need to to raise the action to play cleanly. Think of going from Roto flats to TI flats on a bass guitar, then scale up accordingly!

You may get lucky and find they play ok once you have adjusted to the change. I'd suggest you try them, but give yourself a week to let you and the bass adjust to the change.

PS Don't forget to look at the diameter of the new strings, and consider if your current nut is slotted wide enough to let them sit properly in the grooves.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply mate, good info. Didn't get around to it at the weekend but having looked at the present action, I think a little lower tension and action might be quite desirable so quite looking forward to making the change. I'll keep you posted

Hope all's well

Chris

Well, I tried these for about an hour and they're a bit too low tension for my liking so I'm going to put the Thomastiks back on. If anyone would like to take them off my hands, I paid Damon £135 for them new (listing at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=113761&hl=)"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=113761&hl=)[/url], so, despite the fact that it'll work out at £45 for one hour's rental of them, I'll sell them on for £90 :).

Original packaging, serial number, and warranty included.

Blurb from the website:

[i]A hybrid string ideal for both pizzicato & arco, Velvet Anima Double Bass Strings are the ultimate choice for professionals, providing superior tone & playability under both hands.
Wound upon a smooth, silk core for enhanced articulation & sustain, these strings are a best seller among working jazz bassists who also like to incoorporate the bow.

Designed & manufactured in Switzerland, Velvet focus their attention to the instrument as a whole, working to both tradition & innovation & combining handcraft & contemporary computer-aided string design in a quest for the most beautiful, expressive sound of all.

Round, full tones & the greatest possible sound transmission are achieved by uniform loading of the bridge, with Anima strings designed so that the force required at standard pitch is perfectly balanced & the same for each string.

The string cores consist of materials chosen for their sound quality & consistency, elasticity, resilience & robustness. The windings ensure free oscillation of the strings & the best possible tone.

The choice of materials, the design & construction produce a lighter string with lower tension, reducing the stress on your bass & opening it up to allow a heightened clarity, intensity & spaciousness to the sounds produced.
[/i]

Velvet website is at
[url="http://velvetstrings.com/eng/anima.htm"]http://velvetstrings.com/eng/anima.htm[/url].

Cheapest I could find them, albeit a pretty quick search, was £72.50. Per string!
[url="http://www.djmmusic.com/itemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=SVB40&eq=&MatrixType=1"]http://www.djmmusic.com/itemMatrix.asp?Gro...mp;MatrixType=1[/url]

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Damo200' post='1132076' date='Feb 18 2011, 12:12 PM']Sorry to hear they didn't work out for you Chris. :)[/quote]

Hey Damon, we live and learn don't we? The process of satisfying a double bass is almost as long and complex as that of satisfying a woman, and almost as expensive. The Velvets are amazing in terms of how they feel under the fingers and how they sound (how do they get equal tension and very similar gauge on each string). However, to me they're the equivalent of TI Jazz flats on electric bass; I love the sound and the feel, but I just need a little more resistance to play the parts I play. I use La Bella Jamersons on my Precision so I guess I like a bit of tension in a string).

The guy who bought these hasn't got back to me yet so I'm guessing they're still available? They've been on the bass for three days and played for an hour, they're at tension and are now staying in tune perfectly, so they're pretty much ready to gig.

Cheers

C