Why become a member? ×

Hipshot bass xtender

chilievans

[quote name='chilievans' post='1114299' date='Feb 3 2011, 06:42 PM']Hello all.

I'm thinking about buying a hipshot bass xtender but don't really know much about them in terms of performance and reliability? Are they worth the money and which one do I need? I'm also having trouble finding a black one

Thanks again[/quote]

If you need to switch from standard to drop D mid-set, then they are invaluable.

I've got one on my Stingray, which works perfectly. You do need to fit and calibrate them properly (there's a good video from Hipshot on Youtube showing how to do that), but once you've set them up they work really well IMO.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1114319' date='Feb 3 2011, 06:58 PM']come up for half that second hand. Also, is fairly important your bass has a stiff neck, as on stuff like Geddy sigs with whippy thin necks, they can throw the other strings out of tune.[/quote]
Mr Shuker told me the neck is reinforced with carbon fibre so it should be ok

I have a few.
I find that with regular maintenance and setting up they can be relied on every time. But if you neglect them they'll drop your tuning to somewhere that ain't where you wanted to be and you can also wear out the contact surface of the lever if you don't lubricate them as recommended. (I use Vaseline)

You don't say what model of bass you have, but you need to research and get the correct Hipshot. The Bass Centre web site has them all and tells you what basses they fit. Look there to see what you need and then try to find a cheaper one. [url="http://www.basscentre.com/hipshot-d-tuners.html"]http://www.basscentre.com/hipshot-d-tuners.html[/url]

I have them on 2 of my basses and they are fantastic. You can quickly flip to low D during a song if you need as well. I bought my 1st one years ago from the Bass Centre when they were much cheaper, now they are more expensive new.

Good luck and go for it, you'll never look back. There are some top tips here for looking after them as well.

Edited by mep

[quote name='chilievans' post='1114299' date='Feb 3 2011, 06:42 PM']Hello all.

I'm thinking about buying a hipshot bass xtender but don't really know much about them in terms of performance and reliability? Are they worth the money and which one do I need? I'm also having trouble finding a black one

Thanks again[/quote]

I have them on several basses and love them. They work well, easily fitted and adjusted... If you want to easily change the tuning of your bottom string... this is a great tool.

What bass is it for? There are many models, in various finishes.
I bought my last two on eBay, from a US seller actually. It worked out at around £40-45, new, including delivery.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1114741' date='Feb 3 2011, 11:56 PM']Less than 40 quid [b]delivered[/b] from the states. [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Hipshot-BT-1-Bass-Xtender-Key-CHROME-fender-MM-BT1-/270653540406?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f04354836"]link[/url][/quote]

THAT is the very seller I got mine from! They're even cheaper than what I remember! And they arrived quickly too.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1114741' date='Feb 3 2011, 11:56 PM']Less than 40 quid [b]delivered[/b] from the states. [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Hipshot-BT-1-Bass-Xtender-Key-CHROME-fender-MM-BT1-/270653540406?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f04354836"]link[/url][/quote]

Thanks bud.

[quote name='mep' post='1114704' date='Feb 3 2011, 11:13 PM']You don't say what model of bass you have, but you need to research and get the correct Hipshot. The Bass Centre web site has them all and tells you what basses they fit. Look there to see what you need and then try to find a cheaper one. [url="http://www.basscentre.com/hipshot-d-tuners.html"]http://www.basscentre.com/hipshot-d-tuners.html[/url]

I have them on 2 of my basses and they are fantastic. You can quickly flip to low D during a song if you need as well.[/quote]

Or back again - we cover By The Way in my covers band, which is drop D, and I always forget to retune until I'm a couple of bars into the next song. With the Hipshot, one flick of the lever, and I'm back in E before the guitarist has noticed :)

[quote name='simon1964' post='1115004' date='Feb 4 2011, 10:18 AM']Or back again - we cover By The Way in my covers band, which is drop D, and I always forget to retune until I'm a couple of bars into the next song. With the Hipshot, one flick of the lever, and I'm back in E before the guitarist has noticed :)[/quote]

and THAT is the song I bought my first one for :)
We start our RHCP set with that, and at the end of the song, the little bit without bass I'd be retuning quickly... but sometimes I'd forget. Hipshot to the rescue! :lol:
Since then I had so many other ocassions to enjoy it.

Yep, me too on my Stingray, have two songs for which C sharp is great, one is just for a short bit in the middle, flip it down and up again in a flash, never a problem. Also have another song which needs D so I actually detune to that (I will eventually learn it one fret up!) but never a problem de and retuning.

They are reliable and useful additions, just take a while setting it up, look after it and don't lose the old peg!