Why become a member? ×

What makes a neck feel 'open'

Jamesemt

I've been wrestling with this for years. Some basses just feel really easy to play 'open' springs to mind.
My Dingwall feels like this but I don't know why? Its nothing to do with the fanned frets - err is it a compound radius?
In a former life I used to play the guitar and a PRS felt the ultimate opposite 'closed' tight neck, cramped and uncomfortable.

I've thought for a long time that it was linked to binding on a neck, but now I'm not so sure (played an Esh which I didnt like).

It's definitely not nut width as 40mm plus always used to give me hand cramps (although I can cope with the Dingwall at 40mm). Or is it??

Is it radius vs neck shape? Hate P necks (never played an A, but played plenty of Bs and Cs). Recently a 62ri Jazz neck is starting to feel huge too! Had a 62ri U P neck which was completely unplayable to me.

Can anyone shed any light? I need to understand :)

I think many bass players experience problems caused by bad or patchy technique, which can be accentuated by the differences in their instruments. I don’t see why the size or shape of the neck should have such an affect on a player if he's playing correctly.

After all double bass players seem to accept that they don't get a choice and generally seem to get along well without complaining about their instrument.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1113474' date='Feb 3 2011, 09:12 AM']I think many bass players experience problems caused by bad or patchy technique, which can be accentuated by the differences in their instruments. I don’t see why the size or shape of the neck should have such an affect on a player if he's playing correctly.

After all double bass players seem to accept that they don't get a choice and generally seem to get along well without complaining about their instrument.[/quote]

Mmmm so you never prefer one neck over another? Back in my guitar days I spent way too long on establishing a good playing technique so I'm sure it's not that...although I do agree my bass playing leaves a lot to be desired...

I do have arthritis which is causing my index finger to twist inwards which may have something to do with it??

I do actually know what you mean James, I think its a very personal thing to do with the size and shape of your hands as well as the relative proportions of a neck.

Two that spring to mind instantly are Musicman Bongo's and Hohner "The Jack" basses. Both felt as if I could run around them all day. Unfortunately my technique doesnt allow for such tomfoolery so I've stuck with my Jazz which fights me for every note! (In the very best way!)

[quote name='MythSte' post='1113552' date='Feb 3 2011, 10:19 AM']I do actually know what you mean James, I think its a very personal thing to do with the size and shape of your hands as well as the relative proportions of a neck.

Two that spring to mind instantly are Musicman Bongo's and Hohner "The Jack" basses. Both felt as if I could run around them all day. Unfortunately my technique doesnt allow for such tomfoolery so I've stuck with my Jazz which fights me for every note! (In the very best way!)[/quote]

Funny you should say that - I've got two Hohner Jacks although prefer the neck on the humbucker early ones

I have 3 basses which all have different necks : a geddy Lee Jazz with an insanely shallow neck, a 93 Japanese Squire Jazz with the same narrow nut width but a deeper neck and an early 80s Mighty Mite P/J with a very chunky precision neck.
I find the Geddy Lee is incredibly easy to play (almost too easy?) and make the other two basses I have seem a bit slow and clunky in comparison. What I did to improve the situation was to put slightly lighter gauge low tension strings on them (DR Hi-Beams), which has made a huge difference in playability.

By the way I recommend trying out a Geddy Lee at you local music shop. The sound may not be what you're after but you'll love the neck.

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='1113535' date='Feb 3 2011, 10:07 AM']....Mmmm so you never prefer one neck over another?....[/quote]
Sure I have preferences but then I don't claim to have the best technique either. Moving to 5 strings highlighted many of my inadequacies and then 35” caused issues but the neck isn't a deal breaker for me, whereas what it sounds like is!

This is an interesting one - I'm usually a real tone snob, but since getting a Status S2 the 'feel' of the bass has become much more evident. If I'm honest, the S2 doesn't really give me the tone I'm after, but the neck is just something else and for that reason alone I'm struggling to contemplate the idea of parting with it.

I am not sure what the OP means...but if the neck feels restricted in any way... then I don't buy the bass.

I need the bass to feel decent ( to me ) when I play it at first and then I need to feel I can improve it with a tweak.
I've had a few pro set-ups which I have had to 'improve' so I am very picky with a neck.

Having said that...all my basses have varying degrees of comfort and I can adjust to them easily now... the one I get on with less....probably due to not playing it much ..is the ultra slim one.
But I would call them all fast

I think I know what the OP is getting at. I think along the same lines. On certain necks (current German Warwicks and Geddy Lee Jazz particularly) I am able to play more freely, more easily and with less physical effort. Although the string type and make and the string spacing at the bridge end, and the action profile will contribute to this overall feeling of "openness', the neck has a hell of a lot to do with it.

For me, the neck is the most important part of a bass guitar. I'm not too bothered about the rest, it's mostly disposal and replaceable.

ok.... for some reason I had this idea of relief being the factor. I know it is a factor, of course, I just struggled with the idea of 'open'..???

In that case, my reply wasn't too far off the mark. I think the general feel of a neck..after you have the preferred thickness..is down to the set-up and string choice, action etc etc

I don't like chubby necks and have always used thumb behind which makes things easier..I also prefer them lacquered, which as far as I can tell...makes me in the minority here..?

[quote name='JTUK' post='1113751' date='Feb 3 2011, 12:36 PM']ok.... for some reason I had this idea of relief being the factor. I know it is a factor, of course, I just struggled with the idea of 'open'..???

In that case, my reply wasn't too far off the mark. I think the general feel of a neck..after you have the preferred thickness..is down to the set-up and string choice, action etc etc

I don't like chubby necks and have always used thumb behind which makes things easier..I also prefer them lacquered, which as far as I can tell...makes me in the minority here..?[/quote]
I love lacquered necks too. The necks I have played recently on new Fenders feel cheap to me, the satin urethane is horrible. I like the Warwick ovangkol feel, but other than that, deep honey gloss lacquer over nicely figured maple is my favourite.

[quote name='silddx' post='1113791' date='Feb 3 2011, 01:02 PM']I love lacquered necks too. The necks I have played recently on new Fenders feel cheap to me, the satin urethane is horrible. I like the Warwick ovangkol feel, but other than that, deep honey gloss lacquer over nicely figured maple is my favourite.[/quote]

I seem to associate a lacquered neck with chubbiness for some reason??!!

[quote name='silddx' post='1113791' date='Feb 3 2011, 01:02 PM']I love lacquered necks too. The necks I have played recently on new Fenders feel cheap to me, the satin urethane is horrible. I like the Warwick ovangkol feel, but other than that, deep honey gloss lacquer over nicely figured maple is my favourite.[/quote]

now, you are talking. Flame or birdseye necks on my Jazzes, but not right OTT patterns, for me.
but after years iof maple, I love my RW and flame neck...how things go around...!!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1113805' date='Feb 3 2011, 01:10 PM']now, you are talking. Flame or birdseye necks on my Jazzes, but not right OTT patterns, for me.
but after years iof maple, I love my RW and flame neck...how things go around...!![/quote]
Not too keen on the birdseye, but a little flame is nice.

This is what I like ..

I'll have my greedy hands on it on Saturday :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1113859' date='Feb 3 2011, 01:50 PM']Not too keen on the birdseye, but a little flame is nice.

This is what I like ..

I'll have my greedy hands on it on Saturday :)[/quote]

you changing from Warwicks then...?

gotta admit that is a nice burnt-in finish

[quote name='JTUK' post='1114119' date='Feb 3 2011, 04:47 PM']you changing from Warwicks then...?

gotta admit that is a nice burnt-in finish[/quote]
Yep, one gone and the fretless is going next Saturday.

I felt like a change and I found a gorgeous Jazz at Far East Guitars. Still, you know what will happen. It will be in the FS section in a few months because I'll be after a Steinberger or summat :)