Why become a member? ×

1960 Jazz bass

SpinalTap

Last year I had the oppurtunity to purchase a 1960 Jazz bass. It was finished in a very thick poly 59'burst. So I decided it needed an original nitro refinish.
I decided on blond, because it has an Ash body, but because of some black stains from the previous finish, a see through finish, wasn't an option. So I went with sonic blue.
To be honest I like the total look better than blond (although I would have been nice to restore it to what probably would have been the original colour). The fantastic re-finish has been done by Patrick Koopman (www.pkguitars.com)

It is an incredible playing (unbelievable neck) and sounding bass. Should be obvious, because I sold my special passive Celinder Jazz for it. :)

The headstock got some water/ moist damage or something a long time ago. I call it therefore my swamphead...

I thought about a matching headstock, but that wouldn't be period correct. (they started somewhere in '61). And the longer I own the bass, the more I think this is a part of the history of the bass. Also you would have to destroy the last part of the original decal.

I had the neckpickupcover on it. But I prefer to play without it. And I think it shows the amazing pickguard much better.

• 4 weeks later...