Why become a member? ×

Ryder basses, a note of caution

GreeneKing

Just thought I'd better let you guys know, I may (do) have an issue with my cheapo bass.

I gently (it really was gently) adjusted the truss rod to straighten the neck a tad as the saddles were close to bottoming out and the action was still a little high (yes I do know what I'm doing :) ).

It seemed to work at first but then the neck settled back to it's original position.

I then noticed a couple of slight swellings at the back of the neck, around where the ends of the truss rod would be.

So it seems that, on mine at least, the neck isn't really up to the job and is the weak point of the instrument.

It still plays and tbh I can't be arsed to take it back as I can use it.

It still sounds pretty good although the action is a bit high and isn't going down anytime soon :)

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

too bad I have just sold a Squier CV P neck to pikeman for £50 but that would have brought your £60 bass up to £110 expenditure and one wonders if it's really worth it...

There is a thing called "false economy" and another called "too good to be true" when something is that cheap, there's got to be a downfall somewhere... shame, because it looked a nice bass.

I think like some others mine arrived with a pretty high action (probably not help by it being tuned up by over a full tone) It's had half a turn so far and has held the change up to this point. On my estimation it will need some more but at least its playable - I'll be checking it with a tuner to see if it's lost at all before going at it again. Would have been nice if they'd supplied a key for the saddles - none of mine seem to fit!

Set mine up on Friday, when I got it. It did come with a high action for me, & I have my basses probably higher than average.
Few turns on the truss rod & a fair bit of bridge adjustment got action down to somewhat lower than what I normally have - medium/low - Its still holding that, no issues.

If its defective, & the neck is goosed; I would personally send it back, regardless of the cost.

*Yeah, mine came tuned to G also?! :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1107960' date='Jan 30 2011, 11:34 AM']There is a thing called "false economy" and another called "too good to be true" when something is that cheap, there's got to be a downfall somewhere... shame, because it looked a nice bass.[/quote]

Wise words. But there's another that says 'Never look a gift horse in the mouth'...

That's the great thing with comments of this nature - there really is one for every occasion! :)

[quote name='Conan' post='1108525' date='Jan 30 2011, 07:30 PM']Wise words. But there's another that says 'Never look a gift horse in the mouth'...

That's the great thing with comments of this nature - there really is one for every occasion! :)[/quote]

Comments like that seek to simplify life because we like to see things clearly and in simple terms - human nature. In reality it's seldom that way.

Personally I've spent £60, I've got a bass that sounds quite good, I don't like the action or the thought that the neck is no longer adjustable. I'll see if a Fender size neck will fit and I may have some fun fitting it. Results to be determined, life will go on and it could be a good thing or it may not be. Either way it's keeping me from the existential despair I might otherwise succumb to :)

Peter