Why become a member? ×

Ehx Bass Blogger

clauster

Hi,

After [s]years[/s] decades of having just a compressor and/or tuner, in my signal path, I've needed to add a few more goodies to my arsenal to help thicken up the sound when our sole guitarist goes off on a widdle fest. I now have -

Bass -> Pitchblack -> CS3(modded) -> OC2 -> Bass Blogger -> Amp/DI

I might add a loop pedal at some point so I can easily bring the OC2 and Blogger in at the same time.

So I've got four pedals which might soon be 5 and it's time to start thinkng about a pedal board.

I know the tuner and Bosss pedals are happy on a daisy chain power supply. The manual for the Blogger says it has to have own suppply.

Is this true? What happens if it's daisy-chained?

Cheers in advance,

Nic

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1097745' date='Jan 21 2011, 04:24 PM']I've had trouble with mine. I can't find anything searching the EHX forums for blogger. I think I may have fried it anyway.[/quote]

No mate! not good :)

I looked up blogger, and apart from a few threads from people saying they'd got one, or wanted one and coudn't find one there wasn't anything.

I searched on daisy chain and quite a few came up about other pedals that "can't" be daisy-chained. Most threads related to daisy-chaining these pedals resulting in a high-pitched whine, but not always.

I've got a spare wall wart that came with a Digitech guitar multiFX which was bought for the wife, but she's never used it. I'll use that for the Bass Blogger and get a daisy chain for the other pedals. Might even stick the Digitech on the board too :)

[quote name='clauster' post='1097775' date='Jan 21 2011, 04:47 PM']Most threads related to daisy-chaining these pedals resulting in a high-pitched whine, but not always.[/quote]

That seems to be the usual problem according with EHX stuff to the Diago powerstation compatability chart but it doesn't have the bass blogger on there. The only thing I can find was saying they needed an isolated supply which you probably saw too.

I used to have one. The 'XO' series of pedals do indeed need isolated power supplies. Daisy chaining either cuts the power or it whines depending on which power supply you use. If I recall correctly it's a centre positive rather than negative (don't quote me on it though).

You can get around the issue by buying a gigrig virtual battery, which will then allow you to daisy chain it with your other pedals (as it fools it into thinking the power supply is isolated). At around £30 each though it may work out cheaper to just run it on batteries for a few years!

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1097972' date='Jan 21 2011, 07:12 PM']I used to have one. The 'XO' series of pedals do indeed need isolated power supplies. Daisy chaining either cuts the power or it whines depending on which power supply you use. If I recall correctly it's a centre positive rather than negative (don't quote me on it though).

You can get around the issue by buying a gigrig virtual battery, which will then allow you to daisy chain it with your other pedals (as it fools it into thinking the power supply is isolated). At around £30 each though it may work out cheaper to just run it on batteries for a few years!

Shep[/quote]

Isn't the Bass Big Muff an XO series? I have it daisy-chained on my board and working! I'm waiting for the arival of a Bass Microsynth, is that one daisy-chainable, anyone? Sorry for derailing but this is the first time i've heard of this question with EHX pedals. Any tech explanation why the Blogger doesn't work with a shared psu?

Your half right shep, it is to do with the centre positive,negative power supply issues, not all XO series have that problem just a few. Its a component they use in some models that require centre positive power, I believe its a digital component but can't remember exactly, I believe theres certain issues with sharing digital and analogue pedals on a chain on all effects pedals whether there EHX or boss etc, I've never really had a problem with my board though. If its an issue not being able to power it with a PSU just use batteries, thats what I do with mine and they last a long time even with regular use.

I dont know this for sure but Im sure if you have enough power in your daisy chain (for example the Diago powerstation has 3000mA it can distribute between its daisy chain, more than enough if your using a few power munching 200mA pedals) you should be fine, just need to make sure they all have the same ground (not sure on that one its just what Ive picked up through people's advice).

Cool. The Blogger definitely wouldn't share a power supply. Neither would the new Xo Bass MicroSynth (But that came with a power supply as it required a really high draw). I too had a XO Big Muff and that daisy chained fine.

TBH I got bored of powering issues with EHX pedals and its the main reason I sold all of them… but I do now have the original Bass Micro Synth.. and although that needs its own 24v (!) power supply its not going anywhere.

And yes… super big up the virtual battery. Solves many issues on many pedals (but is a tad pricey!).

Shep

I tried my blogger last night with an individual psu and it worked for the first time! I was very pleased. However, the OD side isn't working, it just gives a very low output clean sound, compared to the fuzz side which is very high output fuzz. With the gain rolled back it sounded quite nice.

This may be a stupid observation but if the Blogger/Microsynth won't work because of a positive center why don't you just open the pedal, desolder the wires on the DC input and resolder them to get the negative center? would this work?

After seing some close pics of both the blogger and the m/s i see they have a negative center like the bass big muff! I'm confused again...

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1100442' date='Jan 24 2011, 09:05 AM']I tried my blogger last night with an individual psu and it worked for the first time! I was very pleased. However, the OD side isn't working, it just gives a very low output clean sound, compared to the fuzz side which is very high output fuzz. With the gain rolled back it sounded quite nice.[/quote]

My OD side does barely nothing anyway, seem's the same on every review on you tube as well, and one's I've read. I think it's just the way its made not a fault!

[quote name='willyf87' post='1100597' date='Jan 24 2011, 11:36 AM']My OD side does barely nothing anyway, seem's the same on every review on you tube as well, and one's I've read. I think it's just the way its made not a fault![/quote]

really?!?!? In that case maybe I had my "amp" set too low (I was just recording into the PC).

Yeah , in my experience with it full on, its like 90% dry with a very slight break up underneath almost like white noise. Either ours are both broken or it's just a sh*t OD!! Fuzz side is wicked though, much prefer it to the BBM, I'm gonna slap it with some dry signal from an ls-2 as well soon to see how that makes me feel lol.

Edited by willyf87

I have to say I tried it next to the BBM and I did prefer it. The Big Muff is best for mental fuzz though, where as I normally like just a bit of of crunch.

The Dry outputs on these pedals makes them ace for recording, but on my pedalboard I use one blender for all my dirt pedals.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1100647' date='Jan 24 2011, 12:23 PM']I have to say I tried it next to the BBM and I did prefer it. The Big Muff is best for mental fuzz though, where as I normally like just a bit of of crunch.

The Dry outputs on these pedals makes them ace for recording, but on my pedalboard I use one blender for all my dirt pedals.[/quote]

yeah BBM is definitely mental, I prefer overdrive for a bit of insane and use the Blogger for a medium fuzz, but yeah really wanna mix some dry into them to see how it works out. I did notice with something i recorded the other day that I feel it would have sounded better with some dry signal in there as well.