Why become a member? ×

Bravewood '63 Style P-bass With Genuine 1963 Plate - £900. Sold!

kevin_lindsay

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1097910' date='Jan 21 2011, 06:22 PM']As I suspect you know, Owen, I bought Schnozzalee's Bravewood ( [url="http://tinypic.com/a/20gg7/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/20gg7/3[/url] ) and I've never yet regretted it ... excellent build quality and superb tone.

I did find a way to improve it though. I fitted a John East P-Retro. :)

Enjoy.[/quote]

Twas'ni mine!! Think it belonged to a chap called Ben from Bath, I sold the '56 Telebass to Jimijimmi. I think i'd prefer an un-relic'd vintage style Bravewood but with the crazing of the nitro and dulled hardware. Fantastic and flawless basses hands down.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='1097924' date='Jan 21 2011, 06:40 PM']Twas'ni mine!! Think it belonged to a chap called Ben from Bath, I sold the '56 Telebass to Jimijimmi. I think i'd prefer an un-relic'd vintage style Bravewood but with the crazing of the nitro and dulled hardware. Fantastic and flawless basses hands down.[/quote]

Damn! How embarrassing ... apologies to both Oli and Ben.

Still a great bass, though. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1098460' date='Jan 22 2011, 10:56 AM']Damn! How embarrassing ... apologies to both Oli and Ben.

Still a great bass, though. :)[/quote]

Jack, does that mean that you have too many basses? You seem to be losing track. I will look after the Alleva if you need a de-tox period

[quote name='owen' post='1098461' date='Jan 22 2011, 10:58 AM']Jack, does that mean that you have too many basses? You seem to be losing track. I will look after the Alleva if you need a de-tox period[/quote]

I was doing fine until Xmas, when my broken leg + cabin fever set off a frenzy of trading. I've had instruments zooming in and out so fast that I've completely forgotten some deals I did last year.

In four weeks, I sold seven and bought three. :)

It's all calmed down a bit now. Still have too many basses, but nothing I'm itching to sell, and just one more in-bound in the pipeline (due end of March ... yum yum).

You're going to enjoy that Bravewood. :)

As a Road Worn Precision owner (which I LOVE) and being a typical bassist, always looking for the next bit of gear, I'm wondering what would replace the Road Worn in the future.

I've played a Custom Shop '57 P (which although better than my Road Worn, it wasn't £1.5k better, and a real good fret dress on my Road Worn would have gotten it close)

I love the look of the American Vintage '57 P, and would be interested to play one and feel how good it is. I love the feel of a worn neck though, it's very comfortable. The heavily laquered necks on my other basses often contribute to them being played a lot less.

I've never played a genuine vintage Fender, but I wouldn't want to go down that road anyway, as I want to play my instruments, and would hate to think I could potentially damage it. Which I would, guaranteed.

I've been looking at a couple of these custom build guitar companies for a while now and wondering if that should be my next move.

How much do Bravewood charge to build, say, a '57 Precision replica? And where would you rate the quality of such an instrument? I guess above Custom Shop by a fair bit.

You've got to have something to aspire to own, right? As happy as I am with the Road Worn, I think I'd be pretty unhappy not to have something to lust after.

Sorry for the thread hijack but it's sold now! :)

I've never commissioned a custom build like that, so can't comment on Bravewood (or similar) prices from "new". Haven't owned/played a Fender Custom Shop bass either, so I'm not being much help, am I? :)

What I can comment on is best illustrated by a quick trawl through my current/gone basses - see my sig.

My experience of Fender copies / replicas / improvements is that they tend to be exactly "right", they're not [i][b]better than[/b][/i] a good Fender, you just don't get bad ones or ones with problems or ones which leave you strangely reluctant to pick them up and play them.

There are no dead spots on the neck, the electrics do what they're supposed to do, the tuners work smoothly, they hang properly on the strap, and so on ... nothing you'd want to write home about, but nothing to distract you from the music.

If I pick up my Bravewood or my newly-arrived Crinson, or especially my Alleva Coppolo, I never need to worry about being in the mood for playing. As soon as I pick up the bass, I'm in the mood.

I feel exactly the same about my 1966 Precision, it's every bit as good as the three just mentioned and it's worth roughly the same as the three of them put together.

Take another look at those basses I've sold and you'll see plenty of beautiful basses which somehow just didn't work as well.

Of those four basses (above) the two which represent the best value for money AS BASSES are the Bravewood and the Crinson. Both represent a very acceptable imitation of the high-end vintage Fender experience for a fraction of the cost.

Trouble is, the two which represent the best value for money AS INVESTMENTS are inevitably the Alleva Coppolo and especially the 1966 Precision. You pays your money ...

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1100102' date='Jan 23 2011, 08:52 PM']Not my photos: [url="http://tinypic.com/a/2jxip/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/2jxip/3[/url]

I don't normally "get" relic-ing, but this one really works.[/quote]

Oh GREAT! Yet another relic builder for me to stalk :)