Why become a member? ×

For Sale: 1979 Pre-eb Stingray NOW SOLD

Apothem

Here is my 1979 Pre-Ernie Ball Stingray for sale. I have bought it last year but never managed to play it for more than a few minutes as I am really busy, and I see no light ahead at the end of the tunnel... So better to release her to a fellow BCer that can use her rather than seeing her gathering dust in the corner.

The colour is Rootbeer/Mocha brown. Serial number is B011003. Neck date is 11 Jan 1979. Body date is frankly unreadable but it may easily say Dec 20 1978 (some letter more visible than others). The shape of the pickup cavity under the pickguard is consistent with the period. All pots are dated 1978. As far as I know, only the trussrod bullet has been replaced (the original one is damaged and is included). The finish appears to be the original one, no other traces of different colours in the neck pocket and in the pickup or the electronics cavities.

General condition is really very good: the back of the body has some mild checking (that you can see only at an angle) but no belt rash. The fingerboard is clean and the frets are 100%: belive me guys, this has been played veeeeery little in her life!!!! The frets do not appear even scratched!!! The back of the neck has a couple of markings, but they are on the lower side behind the G string and cannot be felt at all when playing, just a couple of points (a few millimeters each) where the lacquer is starting to wear off.

I am sure she needs a setup/cleanup, and I have noticed one of the saddle screws is a bit stubborn. No rust on the hardware. It also looks like the string tree has never been fitted: it's not there and there is no sign of repair where it should have been. It comes in a period fully functional black tolex case with orange interior (handle, hinges, latches are all ok) and the original HANGTAG MANUAL!!

The sound is spectacular!! I also have a 1989 2-eq, but this has a beautiful nasal honk and very smooth, "full body" lows THANKS TO THE MUCH SOUGHT-AFTER BLACK EPOXY COATED PREAMP!!!!! Not many of those around.... Moreover, all solderings look intact.

[attachment=69349:1.jpg] [attachment=69350:2.jpg] [attachment=69351:3.jpg] [attachment=69352:4.jpg]

[attachment=69353:5.jpg] [attachment=69354:6.jpg] [attachment=69355:7.jpg] [attachment=69356:9.jpg]

[attachment=69358:11.jpg] [attachment=69359:12.jpg] [attachment=69360:PICT0027.JPG] [attachment=69361:PICT0031.JPG]

[attachment=69362:PICT0032.JPG] [attachment=69363:PICT0038.JPG]

Old price was £ 1750 + shipping, NOW £ 1575 +shipping. Bank transfer welcome in order to avoid Paypal fees. I live an hour from Glasgow, just in case you want to pick it up.

This is a SALE ONLY, no trades please.

Thanks for looking

Claudio

Edited by Apothem

Well, I have been told that it is a bit expensive.... Fair enough, but you always start asking more to get less, don't you? :)

So let's shave 10% off and come around to what I had in mind without beating around the bush too much, bringing it to a competitive £ 1575 + shipping (payment with bank transfer).

Thanks

[quote name='Apothem' post='1096909' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:20 PM']Well, I have been told that it is a bit expensive.... Fair enough, but you always start asking more to get less, don't you? :)

So let's shave 10% off and come around to what I had in mind without beating around the bush too much, bringing it to a competitive £ 1575 + shipping (payment with bank transfer).

Thanks

One was sold in the US for $3000 over the weekend.[/quote]

[quote name='Apothem' post='1096909' date='Jan 20 2011, 10:20 PM']Well, I have been told that it is a bit expensive.... Fair enough, but you always start asking more to get less, don't you? :)

Thanks[/quote]

i think these preEB stingrays are one of the basses that's value will only go up, price it how you want.

These pre EB for sale threads always attract some there not worth this and that. Its only going one way price wise and a serious buyer knows how hard they are to come by, How many have gone through here and eBay combined in the last year 12-14? Not exactly common and so much nicer than an EBMM and I love them too.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1096962' date='Jan 20 2011, 11:22 PM']From those pics, your bass appears to be in above average condition for it's age. I thought your original price was fair.[/quote]

I agree, I know we aren't meant to comment on price but it's a fact rather than my opinion that vintage and rare or similar would want £2000 for yours I'm certain of it, minus their 15%. And obviously a buyer has a bit more comeback if there is a problem.

I can give you or a future buyer the exact position for the string tree or measure for themselves over a brew if they are near the midlands anytime if that helps. Not sure if it would be better for it or is it just a unique feature? Either way the offer is there to get it in the perfect spot if needed.

Good luck with the sale.

Thanks everybody for the input.

Well, I suppose you are all correct in your own right. If I were a collector I would not sell her. If I were a dealer I would price her in the 1750-2000 price bracket as she is indeed in above average conditions: only some checking behind the body, the neck is 99% clean and the frets are virtually new. And when I say that neck and frets look really good, I really mean it. Plus the black epoxy preamp and no particular bumps or dents to mention.

The fact is that I bought her to play her, but suddenly, after having worked for years on a professional project (non music related), I am ready to launch it, and time to play is zero. So I hate to have her there in the corner doing nothing. Hence I can accept a lower price so somebody here can appreciate her. Moreover, she would need a setup.

On the other hand, in the MusicMan department I still have a 1989 Stingray and something that is even rarer than a pre-EB Ray: one of the very early Sterlings, from 1994. The birdseye on the '89 'Ray is really nice, but the one on the Sterling makes you faint!!

So here she is at £ 1575 + shipping payable with a bank transfer. If unsuccessful, "ebay it will be".

Cheers

Edited by Apothem

• 3 weeks later...