Why become a member? ×

Suggestions For Flexible (low Tension), Light Gauge Strings

alhbass

Maybe I'm seeking the impossible..?

I'm looking for a light gauge, low tension string - flexible (ie that will bend easily), that still retains a bit of body at the low end.

I've tried two gauges of La Bella Slappers - Custom Light 30, 45, 65, 85 (they were very responsive - flexible and light as I'd hoped, but just too thin in bass tone to be useful)
and 40, 60, 80, 100 (greatly improved bass tone, but much stiffer - too stiff to play the way I'd like to).

I'm not particularly after a bright, zingy tone, but don't especially mind if they are...

I'd welcome any recommendations or advice. Thanks.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1095080' date='Jan 19 2011, 01:05 PM']Here's a curveball... Thomastik Jazz flatwounds. Flexible as hell, really full bottom end but surprisingly zingy for flats. The gauges don't [i]look[/i] light (standard long-scale 4-string set runs 43-100), but they're so, so playable.[/quote]

That sounds really interesting - thanks! I may well have a go with the DR Sunbeams too, as I've heard so much about them on BC, but it's great to get a more unusual recommendation - Cheers.

[quote name='dood' post='1096967' date='Jan 20 2011, 11:24 PM']Also, just to add to the mix - a string with a round core, verses a hex core will have a more flexible feel. Quite a few manufacturers will state what type core their strings have.[/quote]

Thanks - that's helpful.

Am I right in thinking that the conventional wisdom is that steel strings are necessarily higher tension than others?