Why become a member? ×

Hofner 185

untune

Hi all

My friend was just given a Hofner Galaxie (guitar) for his birthday which he loves... one of the reissue ones from last year I believe?

I had no idea about them and I've just found the 185 bass (also a reissue) and I've fallen in love with its looks. Can't seem to find much said on them though so has anybody played one? Anybody know what the build quality is like etc?

Cheers :)

They have reissued a short scale, have a look for the Galaxie bass (its either blue or orange)

I prefer standard 34" thoguh that's why I'm interested in the H185. I'd love a REAL Hofner like that one you posted but I doubt they're within a sensible price bracket :)

The reissued Galaxie guitars have gotten some really good reviews but theres little to nothing said about the basses apart from the usual 'oh no its made in China aarrghg' etc

[quote name='untune' post='1094440' date='Jan 18 2011, 08:50 PM']They have reissued a short scale, have a look for the Galaxie bass (its either blue or orange)

I prefer standard 34" thoguh that's why I'm interested in the H185. I'd love a REAL Hofner like that one you posted but I doubt they're within a sensible price bracket :)

The reissued Galaxie guitars have gotten some really good reviews but theres little to nothing said about the basses apart from the usual 'oh no its made in China aarrghg' etc[/quote]
Taste_2000 was selling one here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88795&hl=hofner"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...5&hl=hofner[/url]

The originals look really tasty... shame about the shorter scale :) Do you know what the old Hofners were made of?

The new ones can be had on Thomann for 190... there are also a few sound samples on the page

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/hoefner_galaxie_hct_185_w.htm"]Thomann[/url]

I'm going to Edinburgh for a couple of days tomorrow and it just so happens that of the very very few shops in pretty much the whole of the UK that stock these, two of them are in Edinburgh. If my friend can be convinced, I might try to have a go on one... don't want to bore her though haha

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1094437' date='Jan 18 2011, 08:49 PM']I expect Happy Jack will have something to say. Jack, are you there?[/quote]

Just got back from rehearsal!

I saw this thread earlier, but I 've really nothing to contribute. As has already been pointed out, these basses share very little with the original Hofner Artist bass ... as far as I'm aware this is just another Far Eastern knock-off.

• 2 years later...

New here but just bought one of the re-issues so thought I would comment.
I bought this unseen, as in ordered from a certain German Musichaus. But at £124.00 plus about £12.00 delivery I thought it worth a go.
I haven't been disappointed. I would not necessarily recommend buying "blind" as we probably all have experiences of a duff purchase but this isn't one of them.
Im very impressed with the overall finish and sound of this bass. I like the two switches on the scratchplate and the neck is very comfortable. I will no doubt change strings in time but ive literally only had this a short while so haven't fully set it up.
Much lighter than my other bass( which is a good thing) although I play with a chunky leather strap. Got this bass as I wanted a second one while I work on pickup up-grade on the other. Service and delivery and comms from Germany , excellent, as was packaging. I would highly recommend this bass, comfortable great finish and styling.....great sound too. :)

[quote name='bass hic' timestamp='1376486355' post='2174664']
But at £124.00 plus about £12.00 delivery I thought it worth a go.

[/quote]

I played one of these earlier this year and liked it, in a P-bass sort of way. I still wouldn't put it in the same bracket as a vintage short-scale (because ... erm ... it's not) but I remember it being priced way higher than £124.

At that price, this bass is a very good buy.

• 4 months later...