Why become a member? ×

Delay For Bass

D-COOPER

Basically all delays will work for bass just fine. The main thing I look for is whether the delays are dark or bright sounding to suit my taste. Theres lots of features they can have like tap tempo, modulation, certain time lengths for the delays etc, so I guess just try and find one with the features you need.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='1094209' date='Jan 18 2011, 06:54 PM']Delay is just a time effect, it doesn't affect the tone at all, any delay should work. Same with tremolo, phaser, and reverb.[/quote]

does this apply to these pedals that are not true bypass too? could you use any cheapish tremolo or phaser and it wont affect your tone?

[quote name='dumelow' post='1095213' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:38 PM']does this apply to these pedals that are not true bypass too? could you use any cheapish tremolo or phaser and it wont affect your tone?[/quote]

Anything you add into your signal chain between your bass and amp will affect your tone, it's just about finding what suits you best.

[quote name='dumelow' post='1095213' date='Jan 19 2011, 02:38 PM']does this apply to these pedals that are not true bypass too? could you use any cheapish tremolo or phaser and it wont affect your tone?[/quote]

The type of bypass doesn't effect the tone while it's on, only when it's off. It depends on the pedal really, true bypass is very overhyped, I've used some great cheap pedals with very clean bypass, most of BOSS's stuff for example. A good clean buffered bypass is actually better than true bypass because it keeps the tone clean and keeps the signal strong, true bypass can attenuate and degrade the signal if you run lots of them in succesion.

I'd steer clear of the Boss RE20 though. That most definitely DOES affect your tone in a big way even when bypassed. I think it is part of the point of the pedal, but was really not what I wanted when I had one. Pity cos the rest of the pedal is pretty awesome.

I use a "Marshall ecohead" when I'm using delay, there pretty good value for the money with (i think its 6 mabey 7) different types of delay on them including a ere reverse kind of effect, plus you can add a tap tempo to it,
You can usually pick them up pretty cheaply on ebay used. (there really not that much new either, lot of effect for your money).

But sorry no personal experience with the TC Flashback delay/looper to comment.

[quote name='danny-79' post='1098982' date='Jan 22 2011, 07:24 PM']I use a "Marshall Echohead" when I'm using delay, they're pretty good value for the money with (I think its 6 maybe 7) different types of delay on them including a reverse kind of effect, plus you can add a tap tempo to it. You can usually pick them up pretty cheaply on ebay used. (they're really not that much new either - a lot of effect for your money).

But sorry no personal experience with the TC Flashback delay/looper to comment.[/quote]

+1 for most of the Marshall pedals.

The majority have more than one mode, so you can get a lot out of them.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

Tech 21 Boost DLA is an excellent analogue-simulator delay and is buffered by-pass
you might want to think about getting the Tap Tempo model though.
tap tempo on time based FX is a big plus IMO
I also have Boss Reverb Delay v3 and don't rate in nearly as well as the T21 DLA

for short delay, i never needed tap tempo (i doubt most would), long delay then i'd want something with tap.

Also, something that is definitely worth mentionting - look for a dealy with an EQ over the effect sound (like the Boss RE20), reason being that sometimes you dont want your delayed sound screwing with your bassline so much - sometimes its just for ambience. I usually EQ out some bass for precisely this reason.

Having said that, I used and loved the Digitech/Hardwire Delay, the MXR Carbon Copy, the Subdecay Echo Box and the EHX Memory Boy (preferred it on guitar though)