Why become a member? ×

Mesa M3 Carbine

The Burpster

There is the option of the Genz Benz Streamline 900 which is expected to be like a Mesa Walkabout but more powerful, (except if Mesa made a 900W amp it would be much louder than the Genz).

I think I need to test one before making any further assumptions, as so far on Talkbass there are two threads dedicated to an amp no one has heard yet.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1089302' date='Jan 14 2011, 01:28 PM']There is the option of the Genz Benz Streamline 900 which is expected to be like a Mesa Walkabout but more powerful, (except if Mesa made a 900W amp it would be much louder than the Genz).[/quote]
Part of the MESA's unique charm is the Simul-state circuit, tone stack, and passive radiator in the cabinet. I don't think the Streamline has any of these?

Might be wrong, tho.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1089306' date='Jan 14 2011, 01:30 PM']Part of the MESA's unique charm is the Simul-state circuit, tone stack, and passive radiator in the cabinet. I don't think the Streamline has any of these?

Might be wrong, tho.[/quote]

Nope, I doubt it. I think they want it to sound like the Mesa, as do those who have it on pre-order.

The tone idea on the Streamliner seems interesting, but for me, the RH450 is probably just as loud, with more to it.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1089318' date='Jan 14 2011, 01:35 PM']The tone idea on the Streamliner seems interesting, but for me, the RH450 is probably just as loud, with more to it.[/quote]
Exactly! The Mesa is very, very tubey when driven hard... and the TC has that too. Only with clearer highs.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1089326' date='Jan 14 2011, 01:41 PM']Exactly! The Mesa is very, very tubey when driven hard... and the TC has that too. Only with clearer highs.[/quote]

Excellent, agreed. This is why I dont really see any new amps or cabs on my horizon until they/if they upgrade the RH450.

[quote name='Raggy' post='1089355' date='Jan 14 2011, 02:09 PM']Get a room you two :)

I think the base idea behind the Streamliner was to try and emulate the big clean tube amps like the SA200, Trace Valves (see left) and so on.

We shall see, there certainly seems to be a lot on pre order :)[/quote]

Id like it to be fantastic! I just think the talkbass hype is not a good idea until its been tried out. I can see it being a big hit if its as good as the whole concept of the amp.

From what I have heard the M3 Carbine is a standalone amp rather than a replacement for the Walkabout. The Carbine series are supposed to sound a lot different to the Walkabout, generally a lot cleaner sounding at high volumes. I hate to see the Walkabout be discontinued, as its great amp. The lack of clean headroom on the Walkabout is a problem for some, but brilliant for folk that don't want a really really clean sound.

[quote name='thodrik' post='1089449' date='Jan 14 2011, 03:32 PM']From what I have heard the M3 Carbine is a standalone amp rather than a replacement for the Walkabout. The Carbine series are supposed to sound a lot different to the Walkabout, generally a lot cleaner sounding at high volumes. I hate to see the Walkabout be discontinued, as its great amp. The lack of clean headroom on the Walkabout is a problem for some, but brilliant for folk that don't want a really really clean sound.[/quote]

Agreed. The Carbine is a totally different sounding amp to the Walkabout. Carbine is indeed a much cleaner and immediately more punchy amp whereas the Walkabout is warm and overdrives much earlier; it has a valve preamp and a valve driver for the mosfet section whereas the carbine just has the valve preamp. Both are awesome but very different. You gotta love those Boogie user manuals, such charm!