Why become a member? ×

Repairing edge damage on a DB

Clarky

Let me start by saying AAAAAARARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH

My new Eminence EUB was sat happily on its stand in my sitting room but for reasons I am not clear about (cat ran into it perhaps?) it toppled over on to my wooden floor. The damage thankfully is not major and amounts to some splitting/fracturing of the lacquer on about an inch-and-a-half of the front player-side laminated wooden edge and a couple of small dints on the headstock.

I would like to get these patched up or - if possible - fully repaired. So does anyone know of a luthier in the London/Surrey who might be capable of this type of work?

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1088234' date='Jan 13 2011, 04:12 PM']Let me start by saying AAAAAARARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH

My new Eminence EUB was sat happily on its stand in my sitting room but for reasons I am not clear about (cat ran into it perhaps?) it toppled over on to my wooden floor. The damage thankfully is not major and amounts to some splitting/fracturing of the lacquer on about an inch-and-a-half of the front player-side laminated wooden edge and a couple of small dints on the headstock.

I would like to get these patched up or - if possible - fully repaired. So does anyone know of a luthier in the London/Surrey who might be capable of this type of work?[/quote]

If they're not set up specific repairs I know a master carpenter who might be just the ticket.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1088261' date='Jan 13 2011, 04:33 PM']If they're not set up specific repairs I know a master carpenter who might be just the ticket.[/quote]
Hey Ad, yeah this is more carpentry, French polishing territory than set-up work

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1088428' date='Jan 13 2011, 06:47 PM']Also there's Maclolm Healey in Sutton: [url="http://www.healeyviolins.co.uk/"]http://www.healeyviolins.co.uk/[/url] He makes double Basses onsite, so knows what he's doing.[/quote]
Thanks J-L. I have already sent a message to the guy LEB mentioned, who is very local to me, but if he cannot do the work I will contact Malcolm Healey.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1088468' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:21 PM']Hang on, Clarky, what about the cat? I want to know what state the cat's in ...[/quote]
I am speculating here as there is no obvious reason for it to have fallen over! The cat* is lying six feet away from my computer, snoozing on the sofa looking happy as a cat that is snoozing on a sofa :)

* name of Snoop Catt

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1088413' date='Jan 13 2011, 06:32 PM']Just rang him. He says he's more a structural person but has recommended [url="http://www.marcbutterlin.com/"]Marc Butterlin[/url] to people who've had the same problem.[/quote]
Update: this chap says he does not do DB's, only violins/cellos, so have dropped a message to Malcolm Healey. Thanks again for the tips, gents

My Eminence actually arrived with a crack in it - on the bass side F hole, on the outer edge from the middle of the F hole to the edge of the body, about an inch and a half long. Cracked right the way thru the top. Took it to my luthier and determined there would be no problems structurally to the bass so I just left it well alone. Eight or so years later and it's exactly as it was then. Anyway Clarky - the point of my rambling is that you shouldn't have much to worry about - especially as these are laminate instruments. Aesthetically you might want to repair it tho, if its bugging you to look at.

Edited by Gareth Hughes