Why become a member? ×

Stuck screw; what to do?

mart

Changing the strap button on a new bass I managed to get the strap button screw one or two turns round and then it stuck fast. And after a few more attempts I'd pretty much stripped the head (it's a cross head screw). So now the screw is 2-3mm out, and the button is loose, but still surrounds the head so I can't get pliers to the head of the screw.

What do you recommend for getting the screw out? Should I:

1) Use a soldering iron to heat the screw up, and then try again when it's cooled? I've never succeeded with this - could some expert give more specific guidance about how to do it (e.g. how long does it take - seconds? or days?)

2) Make a new slot into the head using a hammer and a sharp flat-head screwdriver. Sounds a bit scary - is this wise on a musical instrument?

Or are there better ways of solving this?

Any tips gratefully received! Ta.

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='mart' post='1088093' date='Jan 13 2011, 02:54 PM']Changing the strap button on a new bass I managed to get the strap button screw one or two turns round and then it stuck fast. And after a few more attempts I'd pretty much stripped the head (it's a cross head screw). So now the screw is 2-3mm out, and the button is loose, but still surrounds the head so I can't get pliers to the head of the screw.

What do you recommend for getting the screw out? Should I:

1) Use a soldering iron to heat the screw up, and then try again when it's cooled? I've never succeeded with this - could some expert give more specific guidance about how to do it (e.g. how long does it take - seconds? or days?)

2) Make a new slot into the head using a hammer and a sharp flat-head screwdriver. Sounds a bit scary - is this wise on a musical instrument?

Or are there better ways of solving this?

Any tips gratefully received! Ta.[/quote]

molegrips.....

Won't needle nose pliers get in there?

Don't try and hammer a slot in the top of the screw, it'll take ages and you run the risk of driving the screw into the hole, stripping the threads that were cut in the wood meaning the replacement screw if it's the same size will have nothing to bite into/follow. Or worse, you could miss, or whatever you're using to try and make a slot could bounce out then take a gouge out of your bass

Hacksaw. If you are changing the strap button anyway then you could saw through the lot if the screw hasn't cleared the strap button enough to get the saw onto it. Dremel or equivalent with cutting wheel would be even easier.

Alternatively you could drill the head off the screw, remove the strap button then use the pliers on the length of screw that did make it out of there or cut a slot in it if there's enough left.

Edited by neepheid

I can't see that heating the screw will help. The wood will almost certainly shrink back around the screw when it cools.

I can't see you making a new head either, especially with just a hammer and screwdriver.

If the screw is alread 2-3mm out, is it really not possible to clamp onto the head? I've often removed stripped screws and bolts by clamping a mole-wrench around the head. It only needs a couple of millimetres and the serrations of the mole-wrnech ensures a good 'key' into the screw. Be careful not to overdo the clamping strength, just make it enough for the teeth to get a good grip.

otherwise, it might be possible to drill the screw out, though this is not so easy when it's in wood as it's so easy to slip off the screw and into the wood. But even if you end up with a big hole, it's easy enough to fill using tightly-packed cocktail sticks and wood glue and then drilling another pilot hole when the glue has set hard.

Good luck.

[quote name='yorick' post='1088121' date='Jan 13 2011, 03:07 PM']If you've got access to a Dremmel type tool, use one of those with a small cutting disc to cut a flathead slot in the screw. That or use it to cut the strap button off leaving the screw to be removed with mole grips.[/quote]
This is exactly what I'd do... but then I have a Dremel. :)

If the head of the screw is inside the button sound like it's going to be difficult or impossible to cut a new slot (and definitely not with a hammer!).

Is the strap button loose enough for you get a hacksaw to the screw shank (between button and body) and leave enough of it protruding to use mole grips to wind it out?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1088098' date='Jan 13 2011, 02:57 PM']#2 but it would be better if you could cut or file the groove.[/quote]

+1
Stay away from the hammer though or you're likely to have more than a stuck screw to contend with...

Hold the existing strap button in place with long nosed pliers (or long nosed mole grips if you have them) and very gently and carefully cut a slot using a junior hacksaw - you'll probably cut a slot in the strap button as well.

Use the biggest bladed screwdriver you have to remove the screw afterwards and be gentle with it (the remaining metal won't be anywhere near as strong as a prime slot headed screw. Whilst attempting the unscrewing treat the slot in the strap button as part of the screw - it'll distribute the load a little.

If that goes wrong then worry the remains of the screw out and use molegrips on the remaining shaft.

Edited by icastle

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The screw head is completely within the strap button - so I can't get any tool to the head except possibly a screwdriver.

But I do have a dremel, so cutting through the button to reveal the screw head is possible. The hammer trick wouldn't need this, but it sounds like a hammer is not a good idea. (It was an engineer that suggested it, and I did wonder about it! :) )

I've never heard of molegrips before - but if I cut away the strap button and expose the screw head, you think the molegrips will be able to turn the screw, even though it was stuck so fast my screwdriver gave up? Sorry, I'm a bit clueless about these mole thingies :)

Edited by mart

These are mole grips...

[url="http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1020&bih=537&q=mole+grips&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai="]http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...q=&gs_rfai=[/url]

You may have seen them....
They clamp and lock onto the screw, so they'll give more leverage.

[quote name='ikay' post='1088132' date='Jan 13 2011, 03:12 PM']If the head of the screw is inside the button sound like it's going to be difficult or impossible to cut a new slot (and definitely not with a hammer!).

Is the strap button loose enough for you get a hacksaw to the screw shank (between button and body) and leave enough of it protruding to use mole grips to wind it out?[/quote]

If I take a hacksaw to the bit of the screw between the button and the body then I would have, at best, 3-4 mm of screw left protruding from the body. Would that be enough?

[quote name='yorick' post='1088174' date='Jan 13 2011, 03:37 PM']These are mole grips...

[url="http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1020&bih=537&q=mole+grips&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai="]http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...q=&gs_rfai=[/url]

You may have seen them....
They clamp and lock onto the screw, so they'll give more leverage.[/quote]

Thanks! I've spent a fair bit of time wandering about DIY stores but no, I don't think I'd ever noticed them before! Time for a trip to Screwfix I guess. :)

[quote name='mart' post='1088177' date='Jan 13 2011, 03:37 PM']If I take a hacksaw to the bit of the screw between the button and the body then I would have, at best, 3-4 mm of screw left protruding from the body. Would that be enough?[/quote]

I very much doubt it.
If I had the option of leaving a longer length of thread then I'd go for that.

[quote name='mart' post='1088162' date='Jan 13 2011, 03:32 PM']I've never heard of molegrips before - but if I cut away the strap button and expose the screw head, you think the molegrips will be able to turn the screw, even though it was stuck so fast my screwdriver gave up? Sorry, I'm a bit clueless about these mole thingies :)[/quote]

Mole grips have got one hell of a grip and let you exert far more torque than a screwdriver..
Most DIY places sell them (B&Q, Wickes, Homebase), they're not hugely expensive and once you have a pair you'll wonder how you ever did without them... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1088203' date='Jan 13 2011, 03:50 PM']Mole grips have got one hell of a grip and let you exert far more torque than a screwdriver..
Most DIY places sell them (B&Q, Wickes, Homebase), they're not hugely expensive and once you have a pair you'll wonder how you ever did without them... :)[/quote]

Ta! I now have a pair, and will see if I can sort my screw out this evening. Hopefully I'll be back to report a successful outcome. But if BC ends up splattered in blood, you'll know it didn't work out well :)

were talkin about a 6mm approx screw stuck in a lump of wood here lol,hack the button off,grab the remaining shank with a pair of pliers and gently wiggle it....bet u can withdraw it easy with moleys/pliers...had a 18mm threaded bolt shear in a truck chassis at work,now that was a f****r

[quote name='dougie' post='1088382' date='Jan 13 2011, 06:07 PM']were talkin about a 6mm approx screw stuck in a lump of wood here lol,hack the button off,grab the remaining shank with a pair of pliers and gently wiggle it....bet u can withdraw it easy with moleys/pliers...had a 18mm threaded bolt shear in a truck chassis at work,now that was a f****r[/quote]

Yep, you're absolutely right. Following the suggestions from everyone I took a Dremel to the strap button and, eventually, cut that off the screw. This took quite a while because I couldn't cut along the axis of the screw without cutting the wood, so I had to slide in at an angle. Once the button was off, the mole-grips were on, and it came out without any hassle at all.

Thanks so much to everyone on here - I was getting real stressed about this, and you guys sorted me out in a matter of moments. Now I can go and play with the thing instead of just worrying about it! :)

P.S. Talking to my wife about mole-grips, she mulled over the name: "Hmm, yes, moles do have a good grip. I remember when the cat brought in a mole, and somehow the mole got loose and then bit my mum's finger. She naturally pulled her finger away, but found that the mole was still attached - now dangling in mid air. How I laughed."

[quote name='mart' post='1088474' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:23 PM']P.S. Talking to my wife about mole-grips, she mulled over the name: "Hmm, yes, moles do have a good grip. I remember when the cat brought in a mole, and somehow the mole got loose and then bit my mum's finger. She naturally pulled her finger away, but found that the mole was still attached - now dangling in mid air. How I laughed."[/quote]

Also called vice-grips! Any one got a funny story along those lines?

[quote name='yorick' post='1088121' date='Jan 13 2011, 03:07 PM']If you've got access to a Dremmel type tool, use one of those with a small cutting disc to cut a flathead slot in the screw. That or use it to cut the strap button off leaving the screw to be removed with mole grips.[/quote]

[quote name='mart' post='1088474' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:23 PM']Yep, you're absolutely right. Following the suggestions from everyone I took a Dremel to the strap button and, eventually, cut that off the screw. This took quite a while because I couldn't cut along the axis of the screw without cutting the wood, so I had to slide in at an angle. Once the button was off, the mole-grips were on, and it came out without any hassle at all.

Thanks so much to everyone on here - I was getting real stressed about this, and you guys sorted me out in a matter of moments. Now I can go and play with the thing instead of just worrying about it! :)

P.S. Talking to my wife about mole-grips, she mulled over the name: "Hmm, yes, moles do have a good grip. I remember when the cat brought in a mole, and somehow the mole got loose and then bit my mum's finger. She naturally pulled her finger away, but found that the mole was still attached - now dangling in mid air. How I laughed."[/quote]
brilliant. i wish i could have seen that.

[quote name='mart' post='1088474' date='Jan 13 2011, 07:23 PM']....P.S. Talking to my wife about mole-grips, she mulled over the name: "Hmm, yes, moles do have a good grip. I remember when the cat brought in a mole, and somehow the mole got loose and then bit my mum's finger. She naturally pulled her finger away, but found that the mole was still attached - now dangling in mid air. How I laughed."[/quote]
Seems like a fair assumption. :)
I mean, I've got a few sets and not one of them looks like a mole. :) Most look like a bit like Ridley Scott's (H.R.Giger's) Alien to me. My most useful set are long-nosed and look like a pterodactyl and another sort of unusual set I have looks more like a big fat turtle's head. So I don't know where moles come into it.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1088797' date='Jan 14 2011, 12:25 AM']Seems like a fair assumption. :)
I mean, I've got a few sets and not one of them looks like a mole. :) Most look like a bit like Ridley Scott's (H.R.Giger's) Alien to me. My most useful set are long-nosed and look like a pterodactyl and another sort of unusual set I have looks more like a big fat turtle's head. So I don't know where moles come into it.[/quote]

Mole is a misused brand name (just like 'hoover' and 'biro') - the first one's were designed by a company called... Mole.