Why become a member? ×

Multi Effects help?!

BASainty

[quote name='Alien' post='1085924' date='Jan 11 2011, 07:14 PM']You could do a lot worse than the Zoom B2 or B2.1u. Good sounds, relatively simple to program and operate, and fairly cheap.

A[/quote]
I have first hand experience of the power failing on three separate Zoom multi effect units, looked like it may have been the input socket failing. Although I had a Zoom 8 track recorder and have a Zoom H2 and they are amazing.

Look at the Line 6 stuff too, and of course you have the Boss ones.

It depends whether you want modelling effects or digital and how much you want to spend. I use a Line 6 POD X3 LIVE for everything - live and pro studios, no amp or cab. It's served me faithfully for over two years and I love it to bits, it has proved a very worthwhile investment as I can get almost any sound I want and twiddle to my heart's content. The built tuner is great as is the sound quality.

most multi effects will have a few "types" and you can run one of each type at the same time. I think in the Zoom, you have amp, pitch/synth, modulation, OD, compression, EQ, reverb

You can use one of each at the same time. So, you could have octave, chorus, compression, but you couldn't have wah chorus compression, 'cos the wah is in the same "type" as chorus.

I'm not sure about the specifics of each "type" though

Ah, that makes perfect sense and kinda fits with what I had assumed from looking at a couple of the pedal layouts.

To the OP - I'm also looking for a ME pedal and given that I'm too tight to pay for a new one, have narrowed my options down to a 2nd hand GT6-B (good sounds, but seems a bit complex by all accounts), GT10-B (just as good, if not better sounds, but less complex), Line 6 XT Live (simpler to use that the Boss ones, but not sure about the modelling) or the Zoom 9.1u (probably going to be a bit pricey, even SH).

I'd be interested to know which pedal you opt for in the end.

I use a Bass Pod Xt live..I think it is fantastic. I takes some time to get into..but I alway think this is a positive..there is something hateful about out growing your kit after 6 months. If you use the editing software via USB it is simply brilliant..easy to edit..easy to save and easy to Arrange. There is also a great tone sharing board on Line 6 website..quite often not on the mark but also they can be a great starting point to acheive the sound you are after.
I play in THE UK Muse tribute, Hypermused, and this is one of the main stay effects that i use...Once into it it is easy to edit on the fly. It is best used in conjunction with Fuzz/distortion pedals as on the POd the Synth sounds and distortions can't be used together as they are on the same pedal..bit of a bummer, but distortion is best played on a pedal in my opinion...Having said that I thought I used to nail the distorted sound in New Born..and when I got my Animato I realised how close I had got..not perfect and the animato is obviously the key to the sound..but still it is all in the pod if you try. I think the modelled sounds are generally very good. I also looked at the boss GT6B but am actually glad I went the other way...

Generally a good board, well made and so far indestructable..we do maybe 30 gigs a year with that band, 10-15 with another outfit I am in and we rehearse twice a week...never ever let me down, and please god don't let me speak too soon there as we have loads coming up this year :)

As a regular gigger I would buy another one in a heart beat.....In fact I will be doing just that later in the year...

I think that for your application the interface, rather than the sound of the effects, will be the deciding factor. As such, buy the cheapest multieffects you can buy and have a play with it. That will help you decide what it is you want to achieve, thereby dictating your next purchase that will be more suited to your application.

It seems the zoom might be the way to go, but I know a load of people who have started with a Boss and stuck with it for a long time.

I started with a POD and it helped me to realise I need something far more flexible than what most multi effects can offer (Hence I use 2 boards, one with seperate pedals and the other with a Line 6 M13).

Dan