Why become a member? ×

This charming man

gub

After years of loving the smiths and seeing them and sir mozza a few times this is the first time i have actualy sat down and tried to play one of there songs. so i thought i better start with my fave all time track , This charming man . what a talented chap andy was, which of course i knew any way ! i read somewhere on u tube that johhny marr wrote all the baslines and andy rourke just played them , so wondered if there was any truth in this ?? any other smiths fans on here ? well i wonder lol

As far as I can remember, Andy Rourke wrote a lot of his own bass lines, he's a very talented and melodic player. 'Headmaster Ritual' showcases just some brilliantly written bass parts. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if Marr had a hand in writing the bass parts, he's an incredibly inventive musician.

[quote name='lojo' post='1080719' date='Jan 7 2011, 07:35 AM']This is a good site [url="http://www.micturion.com/smiths/index.php"]http://www.micturion.com/smiths/index.php[/url] , although I expect to get shot by some members for posting it[/quote]

I could have done with that a few years ago when we did a charity Smiths tribute gig. After a brief look, some of the tabs aren't 100% right, but they're not bad.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='1080730' date='Jan 7 2011, 08:02 AM']I could have done with that a few years ago when we did a charity Smiths tribute gig. After a brief look, some of the tabs aren't 100% right, but they're not bad.[/quote]

Hardly any tabs are 100% correct but they can be great for giving hints and suggestions for particularly awkward bits and/or bits that are hard to hear.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='1080750' date='Jan 7 2011, 09:09 AM']Hardly any tabs are 100% correct but they can be great for giving hints and suggestions for particularly awkward bits and/or bits that are hard to hear.[/quote]

Absolutely. I used to be a bit of an anti-tab fascist, but don't object to them if they're reasonably accurate.

To be fair, I went straight to the song I had most difficulty transcribing, and this guy has made the same mistake I made initially (the chords in Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now). Otherwise, they're as good as I've seen on the internet.

I love the Smiths and I've finally persuaded my covers band we should do a Smiths number. Somehow, we've ended up doing "What Difference Does it Make?", which is possibly the most straightforward (dare I say boring) bassline of any Smiths song! Even so, it fits the song perfectly and has a great feel to it.

This Charming Man will have to be the next addition...