Why become a member? ×

Little Mark Tube

JellyKnees

Hi all,

Just looking for some feedback on the newish Little Mark Tube heads.

I'm currently using a Little Mark 250 with a Barefaced Big One cab. The sound is generally excellent, clear, precise and punchy, but occasionally it lacks that certain sparkle/warmth on particular songs, especially with my handmade KGB fretted bass, which has quite a hard, bright tone. I'm not looking for balls out valve grunt, more a subtle splash of harmonic colour really.

So I've been thinking about upgrading to a LM Tube head, but there aren't many reviews out there at the mo. Some reviews look good, others seem to suggest that the valve is very subtle indeed - although i want subtle, I also want to be able hear some difference for my wonga!

Anyone got one, tried one, loved it, hated it, or merely ambivalent about it?

Cheers,
Neil

After selling all my gear (including a LM II) a few years back, the lack of that certain warmth was the reason I decided not to get another Markbass head when I bought new kit. It was a lovely head but I wanted some Ampeg style grind - I tried a DHA preamp before the Markbass but it didnt quite do the trick for me, it sounded either wooly or harsh to my ears.

In the end I went for a Sansamp and a poweramp - I really like the Sansamp's "colour", so maybe a BDDI or a VT bass in front of your Markbass will do the trick? Probably best to try before you buy though, tone is a subjective thing after all.

Can't say I've tried the LM tube, but the sound samples I've heard reminded me of the DHA somewhat. A bit fizzy.

Edited by Wil

Tried one (twice) in my search for a tubier version of my LMIII, and thought it was indeed very very subtle. Given that I was looking for some warm breakup and even more towards drive, I may have needed more than you did, but it wasn't enough of a difference for me to change from my LMIII. The LM Rocker, by contrast, was just about as subtle as a brick - at about 15% of the tube dial it started to fizz, and stayed fizzy the rest of the way round. I found the RH450 the best tube-sounding head out there, so I bought one.

I'd really, really try to try before you buy, though - your ears are everything. If you're anywhere Bass Direct (Warwick-way, and even if you're not, it's worth a day out), Mark has a great selection of mini-heads, including the MB, Genz and TC ones.

Edit: Just read the above comment, and I did have a Sansamp BDDI in front of my LMIII for a good while, which gave me the Ampeg-y tone I was after. I can get this from the RH450 on its own, so I sold the LMIII and the Sansamp. The Sansamp isn't exactly subtle, though. If you can't get to a shop to try, if I was you I'd consider buying a Behringer BDDI box for £30 or so, because this'll give you a ballpark of what the Sansamp sounds like.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' post='1077389' date='Jan 4 2011, 03:06 PM']if I was you I'd consider buying a Behringer BDDI box for £30 or so, because this'll give you a ballpark of what the Sansamp sounds like.[/quote]
I have a BDI21, and also the 'acoustic' version the ADI21. I tend to use the brown ADI21 much more as it is very subtle and is particularly good for sweetening the sound of my tanglewood acoustic bass & NS CR5M electric upright before going into my LMII. This is the second ADI21 I have owned. I had to chuck the first one in with the Dean Pace bass I sold as it made it sound so much better.

I'm quite fond of my LMT. The tube doesn't give you that much grind but it fattens up the signal nicely well past 12 o clock. The usual LM controls like VLE and the other one make it dead easy to tailor your sound to the room, and the DI out is excellent. Did a session at Rockfield in Monmouth and the engineer was raving about it, plus the mic'd sound as well. No bloody sansamp can opener for me, thank you!

I would like a little more headroom as my ASAT seems to make it clip very early, earlier than seems necessary but I have seen this criticism leveled at other LM heads on this forum.

Only thing is the new Aguilar tonehammer head is looking very tempting...

I have one, it's my fifth MB head and IMO, the best of the lot. Despite what some people say, the tube does add a bit of fullness / warmth to the overall tone but I bought it for the extra features mainly - DI control / mute switch / tube if you want it etc which I think are worth the extra over the LMIII.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

After much deliberation, review reading, youtube listening etc etc, I decided to order a sansamp VT bass pedal on spec - it arrived yesterday and I'm a very happy bunny so far. With drive set to about a 1/4 and the character at around 1/3, it really thickens and warms the sound of the KGB very nicely, without sounding too harsh. A very impressive bit of kit indeed - just what I was after and much cheaper than a new head. Also works well with my Tunebass piezo fretless too! Thanks to Wil for his advice...