Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Big Al...

Wil

...is far too expensive for me to ever be able to own, well, certainly not in the forseeable future. However, I'm really starting to fall in love with the concept - the looks are great (especially in sunburst - yum!) but the most interesting thing for me is the pickup configuration. It seems to offer a musicman tinged version of all of the big three Fender derived designs. It can do a Jazz tone with the neck and bridge, a P tone with the middle, or a Stingray tone with the middle and bridge (well, the pickup placement is more Warwick Thumb than Ray but it's in that whole ballpark from what I can tell).

So, my question is, are there any other basses out there that offer a similar pickup arrangement? I can't believe no one has thought of such a versatile configuration for bass before?

How about the Godin Shifter..? - [url="http://www.godinguitars.com/godinshifterbassp.htm"]http://www.godinguitars.com/godinshifterbassp.htm[/url]

From the Godin website "The Shifter Bass features 3 large soapbar, passive single coil alnico pickups with low-pull, x-large magnets. The various tones are selected via a custom 5-way switch that when combined with the push/pull tone knob gives the player an amazing 6 tones to choose from."

Not sure of prices, though...

EDIT - Or even if you can get them in the UK..! Seems to be only via Fleabay from Canada.

Edited by kingofthestuntmen

[quote name='Wil' post='1077297' date='Jan 4 2011, 01:45 PM']...is far too expensive for me to ever be able to own, well, certainly not in the forseeable future. However, I'm really starting to fall in love with the concept - the looks are great (especially in sunburst - yum!) but the most interesting thing for me is the pickup configuration. It seems to offer a musicman tinged version of all of the big three Fender derived designs. It can do a Jazz tone with the neck and bridge, a P tone with the middle, or a Stingray tone with the middle and bridge (well, the pickup placement is more Warwick Thumb than Ray but it's in that whole ballpark from what I can tell).

So, my question is, are there any other basses out there that offer a similar pickup arrangement? I can't believe no one has thought of such a versatile configuration for bass before?[/quote]

Burns have had three pickups on their basses, with similar positioning, since the mid 60's. No idea what they sound like though.

Edited by Count Bassy

Interesting stuff!

I wonder if the switching poses any diffculties. Phasing issues - it doesnt seem to be an issue on the Big Al, but I'm guessing they've wired it up to avoid the "Strat position 2 and 4" out of phase quacking thing.

[quote name='Wil' post='1077297' date='Jan 4 2011, 05:45 AM']So, my question is, are there any other basses out there that offer a similar pickup arrangement? I can't believe no one has thought of such a versatile configuration for bass before?[/quote]
Been done a bazillion times, besides the Burns mentioned the Fender Bass VI from the 1960's or their more recent Stu Hamm model. Some Gibson Ripper variant did it and bass necks on Strat bodies have been made in many garages for decades.

This may be the first time it's been named after a South Park character though :)