Why become a member? ×

Mixing Cabinet Makes

redburp

I've been searching on the internet but can't find the answer so I'll ask you nice peoples. Is it ok to mix different brands of cabinets in your rig? I'm new to the whole bass stack game and just wondering as I don't think I've seen anyone doing it.

You can mix cabs and many players do.

I have mixed a Mesa Boogie 115 and an Epifani 410 and an Epifani 410 and a Bergantino 210. These pairings worked very well.

The bottom line is that you should trust your ears and if it sounds good then it is good. If it doesn’t sound good then try something else.

Even if you stick to the same cabinet brands, how do you know that the actual speakers inside are the same brand?

Don't worry about it. Just be sure you have enough ohms for your amp and that the cabs can take the power and there'll be no harm done.

Well, electrical harm anyway - I can't vouch for how things will sound! :)

[quote name='redburp' post='1076982' date='Jan 4 2011, 01:44 AM']I've been searching on the internet but can't find the answer so I'll ask you nice peoples. Is it ok to mix different brands of cabinets in your rig? I'm new to the whole bass stack game and just wondering as I don't think I've seen anyone doing it.[/quote]

As others have already said, there's nothing technically wrong with mixing different brands of cabs provided you understand the rules regarding impedance (shout if you need help on that - we're pretty good at the 'maths' part of impedance on here!).

One thing to remember though is that the cabs have to be sensibly sized if you intend stacking them on top of each other - you don't want to end up with a 'leaning tower of piezo'... :)

Like others have said trust your ears if you get a chance to trial the intended cabs, but my word of caution would be that Cabs do sound different and you could end up fighting yourself. A bass and amp setting for one of the cabs may not suit the other. This could be a problem at Gig levels. You would not be able to dial out an anoying frequency from one of the Cabinets without affecting the one you did like.

ive 3 old cabs,Hartke vx210,Peavey 1820,and a obselete 1x15 made by"KMD"(dont ask)...experimented using my Peavey mk111 bass head(now f****d) and the matching KMD GS130sb head,all individually sound fine,all 8ohm....together sound total sh*te,im no expert by any means but my next prorer rig is gonna be as matched as i can afford m8.

[quote name='icastle' post='1077447' date='Jan 4 2011, 03:55 PM']As others have already said, there's nothing technically wrong with mixing different brands of cabs provided you understand the rules regarding impedance (shout if you need help on that - we're pretty good at the 'maths' part of impedance on here!).

One thing to remember though is that the cabs have to be sensibly sized if you intend stacking them on top of each other - you don't want to end up with a 'leaning tower of piezo'... :)[/quote]

Yes, I've got a Markbass CMD121H and a Nemesis 2x10 cab. They sound good together, but the MB is narrow, so stacked it is definitely the leaning tower of pizza. I place them side by side, with the Nemesis on end, which works fine. I thought I would have problems hearing myself, but it hasn't been an issue yet.