Why become a member? ×

I got the blues

Bassman Sam

I have just put my trusty old bass up for sale on this site and feel well down about it. I have had it for the best part of 15 years and when I look at it, it brings back great memories. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and now can't play but still get GAS :). I thought I might buy a cheap bass to take it's place on the wall for the good days when I can play for 5 minutes ( but have pain for 3 days after) but it just won't be the same. I know that it's the end of an era and it don't feel good. :)

How do I get over this?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1076832' date='Jan 3 2011, 09:47 PM']Is there another instrument you could take up, which won't aggravate your condition?

I've always wanted to learn to play the harmonica.[/quote]

I started plying DB at 14 years old then went on to electric bass 2 years later, that's nearly 44 years in total, old dogs and that.

Sorry to hear about your situation Sam, I can`t even begin to think how upsetting it must be.

Just had a look at the bass you`re selling, and it`s a beauty, I don`t think it will hang around for too long.

Re this though, as you have so much history with it, if you don`t need the money, why not keep it, unless it would be an even worse reminder that you can`t play anymore. Think if I were in your situation, providing I didn`t need the cash, I would hang on to it.

Re Happy Jacks qeury - I know you said abt old dogs and new tricks, but a new instrument may be worth taking up. If keys are ok for you, you`d still be able to do basslines etc.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1076868' date='Jan 3 2011, 10:14 PM']Sorry to hear about your situation Sam, I can`t even begin to think how upsetting it must be.

Just had a look at the bass you`re selling, and it`s a beauty, I don`t think it will hang around for too long.

Re this though, as you have so much history with it, if you don`t need the money, why not keep it, unless it would be an even worse reminder that you can`t play anymore. Think if I were in your situation, providing I didn`t need the cash, I would hang on to it.

Re Happy Jacks qeury - I know you said abt old dogs and new tricks, but a new instrument may be worth taking up. If keys are ok for you, you`d still be able to do basslines etc.[/quote]

Thanks for you comments Lozzi but I just get pissed off when I see it hanging there every day. I think getting a cheaper bass in it's spot might be like nicotine patches, weaning me off gently. :)

That really sucks. I can't imagine how physically and emotionally painful it must be to have to stop doing something you love.

At the risk of asking a really stupid question, could you modify your technique in any way to make playing a tad easier/less painful?

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='1076915' date='Jan 3 2011, 10:53 PM']That really sucks. I can't imagine how physically and emotionally painful it must be to have to stop doing something you love.

At the risk of asking a really stupid question, could you modify your technique in any way to make playing a tad easier/less painful?[/quote]

Yeah, tried that but no joy, still hurts like f*ck. When I had an injection into my wrists a few months ago, I was pain free for a while but it's back again just as bad and my consultant won't give me another until June. Then it takes a long time to get to any reasonable level of performance and no where near to my old standard.

Feel for you Sam, that must be so depressing.

I've got it in just one finger at the moment, so I know that my bass playing days are numbered. I'm already having to adjust the way I play and use different positionings for certain numbers. Fast runs are becoming painful and clumsy.

Some aspects of getting old really suck, actually make that most aspects.

Wish you well, all the best, Gary

That's a horrible blow and you have my sympathy. I'm going to be a bit radical here and suggest taking up a completely different hobby - i.e. photography. Never going to replace the music but would partially fill the gap and give you something else to gas about!

Lovely bass BTW, hope it gose quickly and at a good price for you.