Why become a member? ×

Guitar Pro

gizmo6789

Hi Guys n Girls.

Just wondering if anyone here uses or has used in the past, Guitar Pro. I used it a few years ago and it was pretty good for learning songs.
But im wondering, is it good for writing out yourr own music.?

My band has a lot of songs and i cant always remember them off the top of my head so im looking to buy Guitar pro to sort of archive the songs.

If you could leave your opinions that would be brilliant.

Cheers, and Happy New Year

In a word yes! - I'd recommend GP6 too - far superior to GP5 and previous versions that were a bit glitchy. I use GP all the time for notating and learning songs, as there are hundreds of sites offering Guitar Pro versions of songs.

If you still want to hang on to Guitar Pro 5 - then it might be worth grabbing TUX which is a program which is very similar to GP and can also open GP files.

So, to sum up - at least download the Guitar Pro 6 demo so that you can see how much better it is!

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1073763' date='Dec 31 2010, 03:36 PM']i got the demo of GP6, it is pretty dam good. and just as i remember, tricky to work the notating. haha.

im probably gonna just buy the full version.

my credit card is gonna cry, first Rush tickets, now GP6.[/quote]

If we could have a sticky for Guitar Pro links it would be great too. Or is copyright an issue here?

Peter

From my experience they're both very good tools, but both have limitations.

Guitar Pro (5) will let you write a completely illegal bar, leave it highlighted in red, & only play the legitimate bit. Tux will finish the bar off with whatever fits the remaining gap, which I feel is a better way of doing it.

Tux makes a mess of the notation if you print to PDF, however. There's something amiss with the Postscript engine (Ghostscript?) that it uses. There's a workaround that involves a freebie called Lilypond which does translate the dots properly, but looks a bit cluttered to my eye.

My current favoured option is to turn the Tab 'stave' off & enter notes directly on the staff. It's gradually forcing me to learn the bass & treble clefs, which is no bad thing.

Pete.

Sorry to be a pain and excuse my stupidity and ineptitude etc. but....I've just downloaded the trial version onto my other PC (which has 2GB RAM) and I'm really impressed with it. So much so I want to buy it but are there any advantages / disadvantages to downloading online as opposed to buying the disc version?

The other thing is, when I acquired a copy of GP5..ahem, it came with a huge library of songs to play along to - does this come with GP6?

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1075444' date='Jan 2 2011, 04:30 PM']just wondering, but can you play into the computer and GP6 automatically tabs out what you are playing? or am i having an awesome dream?[/quote]
Not from an audio source, but it will accept direct entry from a MIDI instrument. Not sure if Tux can do this, if it can it's well-hidden.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1074181' date='Jan 1 2011, 09:02 AM']Slightly OT but how do you lot play along to GP? Do you play the though an amp / combo or do you plug into the computer and if so what do I need to be able to plug into the PC?[/quote]

I use a Line6 GX as an interface/soundcard - I open up both GP6 and the Pod software together, choose an amp sound and the whole lot goes straight to my monitors so I can play along.

• 2 weeks later...