Why become a member? ×

Rack Compressor

Fullmetal

I'm looking into buying a compressor for my rig, something that'll fit in a rack unit. I don't have the biggest budget, but I am looking for something used. I just want a compressor to help even out my sound and stop peaking, help smooth things out. I have been looking at Drawmer compressors, but they seem to retail at £200 used.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding low-budget rack compressors? £150 would be a good price, but could probably push it a little more if need be.

Thanks

TC Electronic C300 without a doubt. There are no doubt countless others out there and yes they are great - this one is just brilliant and almost a secret gem! - If you want it in pedal form, grab the TC Electronic Nova Dynamics. Both offer full band, parallel and spectral (three band) compression modes. I actually can't think of many compressors that offer as much functionality, are reasonably priced AND are actually really good!

You shouldn't need to spend any more than 100 quid on a second hand one.

[quote name='Fullmetal' post='1073744' date='Dec 31 2010, 03:09 PM']I was already sort of looking at the DBX 160X, £100 new is a very good price. I've also seen an Alesis 3630 for the same price, I'll look into the TC Electronic C300 as well.

Thanks[/quote]

I'd steer clear of the Alesis. The things are a bit dicey. Try looking at a Joe Meek channel strip too, one has EQ and Compression and can be had for about £100 too.

[quote name='TomTFS' post='1073805' date='Dec 31 2010, 04:23 PM']I'd steer clear of the Alesis. The things are a bit dicey.[/quote]

I wouldn't!

Loved mine, probably the most 'musical' compressor I've owned. Wish I hadn't sold it but then again, with a full function compressor in my amp head I wouldn't have needed it.

[quote name='JPJ' post='1073838' date='Dec 31 2010, 05:01 PM']I wouldn't!

Loved mine, probably the most 'musical' compressor I've owned. Wish I hadn't sold it but then again, with a full function compressor in my amp head I wouldn't have needed it.[/quote]

Fair enough. My housemate has one, just never really got on with it.

[quote name='TomTFS' post='1073805' date='Dec 31 2010, 04:23 PM']I'd steer clear of the Alesis. The things are a bit dicey. Try looking at a Joe Meek channel strip too, one has EQ and Compression and can be had for about £100 too.[/quote]

If not Joe Meek then look for TFPro - same bloke behind them - Ted Fletcher. Same boxes but red paint instead of green.

I've got a P1 which is half-rack. Includes an opto-compressor and 3-band EQ.

BTW - I've got an Ashdown dual-bandcompressor pedal. Hideous thing. The TFPro, despite being single band, is in a different class.

Edited by thinman

[quote name='TomTFS' post='1073805' date='Dec 31 2010, 04:23 PM']I'd steer clear of the Alesis. The things are a bit dicey. Try looking at a Joe Meek channel strip too, one has EQ and Compression and can be had for about £100 too.[/quote]

I've heard that from quite a few people, so I think I'll keep away. Still leaning towards the DBX, but I will check out everything mentioned.

I'm currently using a dBX 1066, which is nice (might be slightly out of your price bracket though), if the 166 is anywhere near as good, then you can't really go far wrong. TBH though I do quite a bit of recording drums etc... so I needed a versatile two channel unit, so it's probably not the best unit for bass, meets all of my needs though.

[quote name='Fullmetal' post='1073744' date='Dec 31 2010, 03:09 PM']I was already sort of looking at the DBX 160X, £100 new is a very good price. I've also seen an Alesis 3630 for the same price, I'll look into the TC Electronic C300 as well.

Thanks[/quote]

Can't get a 160X new and it wouldn't be £100 I'm afraid. The 160X is the older discontinued version of the current 160A. I have both and while they're both fantastic, I think the 160X works better on bass. For £100 you're thinking of the 266XL which is a different beast altogether. I have a 166XL and a 163X too.

I'd personally steer clear of the Alesis and Behringer models but I'm a bit of an outboard snob :)

[quote name='joegarcia' post='1076283' date='Jan 3 2011, 01:58 PM']Can't get a 160X new and it wouldn't be £100 I'm afraid. The 160X is the older discontinued version of the current 160A. I have both and while they're both fantastic, I think the 160X works better on bass. For £100 you're thinking of the 266XL which is a different beast altogether. I have a 166XL and a 163X too.

I'd personally steer clear of the Alesis and Behringer models but I'm a bit of an outboard snob :)[/quote]

I think I was dreaming when I "found" a 160X for £100, I can't find the site anymore so let's assume it didn't actually happen haha. What's the 266XL like with bass? That's what I'm looking into getting.

Not a particularly good price, that:

[url="http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/dbx-266xl-compressor-limiter-gate--914"]DV247 price[/url]

but this would be a better buy IMO:

[url="http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/dbx-166xl-dual-compressor-limiter-gate--4422"]DBX 166XL[/url]

if you can't stretch to a 160...

• 2 weeks later...