Why become a member? ×

THUMB ON NECK

Jspindle

Its unconventional as a stand alone technique but many use it as part of their repertoire of getting sounds out of the bass. The nearer the bridge the tighter and brighter the sound, the nearer the neck the warmer and more rounded the tone. If you want that warmth and less definition, then go for it.

[quote name='Legion' post='1072781' date='Dec 30 2010, 02:44 PM']John Entwhistle did this a lot (if i recall?), there's probably tons of material out there if you want to study his style.[/quote]

Thanks. I'll have a look.

It might be worth me getting a bass with a pickup right next to the neck..... but I'm not sure because I can cope just fine with basses that don't have this.

[quote name='Jspindle' post='1072794' date='Dec 30 2010, 02:57 PM']It might be worth me getting a bass with a pickup right next to the neck..... but I'm not sure because I can cope just fine with basses that don't have this.[/quote]
Or a thumb rest positioned there. That's what I do

[quote name='Jspindle' post='1072794' date='Dec 30 2010, 02:57 PM']Thanks. I'll have a look.

It might be worth me getting a bass with a pickup right next to the neck..... but I'm not sure because I can cope just fine with basses that don't have this.[/quote]

I'd be wary of this if I were you...playing up against the neck on say a Jazz bass sounds great in my opinion, not a good sound for every situation, but certainly has it's uses! But if you play near the neck on an SG bass with the neck pup only, well it's just sludge. Maybe you'd like that sound, someone's got too, otherwise they wouldn't keep the pickup there! Although honestly I can't think of anyone who owns an SG bass who doesn't just use the bridge pup.
Basically, if you're loving the tone you get from where the pup is now, then stick with it I say...Of course it's always worth a quick try out in a shop on a bass with a different pup position :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1078510' date='Jan 5 2011, 01:05 PM']Although for the most part he rests on the neck pickup.[/quote]

Fair point.

For the OP, here's one of Stanley resting his thumb on the edge of the neck...

[attachment=67920:SC.jpg]