Why become a member? ×

Chase n Dave Rabbit

greyparrot

Iv been posting vids on here of quite technical bass lines, my last one was Steely dans Peg that i slapped all the way through, i thought its xmas and im on me own, been drinking, and an east ender (hackney) thought ill do something funny....NOT boloody hard bass line! great fun though. Resoect to Dave Pecock and as you all know hes gotta be a top session player for playing and singing this line live.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-16H_c1iraU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-16H_c1iraU[/url]

Please forgive me for this! haha merry xmas all..........

Nice one - Happy Christmas GreyParrot. Glad to see some appreciation for Chas & Dave, much better musicians than most would give them credit for. One thing though, although Dave was the bass player in the band, Chas was the one who had done all the bass sessions being part of Joe Meek's Outlaws set up (at one point along with Richie Blackmore), then working with Jerry Lee Lewis and Gene Vincent. So two great bass players in one underrated band - bet that doesn't happen too often!

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1069294' date='Dec 25 2010, 06:41 PM']Nice one - Happy Christmas GreyParrot. Glad to see some appreciation for Chas & Dave, much better musicians than most would give them credit for. One thing though, although Dave was the bass player in the band, Chas was the one who had done all the bass sessions being part of Joe Meek's Outlaws set up (at one point along with Richie Blackmore), then working with Jerry Lee Lewis and Gene Vincent. So two great bass players in one underrated band - bet that doesn't happen too often![/quote]

Really! i did not know that. Yes they are both really great players. I think that line is pretty cool if you take away the fun aspect of it. Its sort of funky,east end and fun. very clever. Thanks for the info, and merry xmas you too.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='1069339' date='Dec 25 2010, 08:55 PM']Really! i did not know that. Yes they are both really great players. I think that line is pretty cool if you take away the fun aspect of it. Its sort of funky,east end and fun. very clever. Thanks for the info, and merry xmas you too.[/quote]

I had the pleasure of seeing them play when the old Pye studio in Bryanston Street closed, belting out classic rock & roll on the very expensive grand piano in the main studio! Also worked on some old Deep Purple archive material so got to work with some complete anoraks - I guess a little rubbed off!

The Bongo (and your playing) is great BTW, keep posting!

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1069521' date='Dec 26 2010, 11:34 AM']I had the pleasure of seeing them play when the old Pye studio in Bryanston Street closed, belting out classic rock & roll on the very expensive grand piano in the main studio! Also worked on some old Deep Purple archive material so got to work with some complete anoraks - I guess a little rubbed off!

The Bongo (and your playing) is great BTW, keep posting![/quote]

oh thank you mate! i saw them at a mecca bingo hall they were aewsome. so was chas playing bass or keys for those guys?

Hi GreyParrot and all,

great to see a bit of appreciation for Chas and Dave - massively underrated (ignored really) but both fantastic musicians and bass players. I've been listening to them for years and admiring their talent. Great feel, precision-playing and musicality - it's a shame that the music hall styling of C and D implies that the audience is a bit circumscribed. Lovely looking old P that Dave plays too. About time we heard more of the band

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1069540' date='Dec 26 2010, 11:55 AM']Bit of Christmas for you...always liked this. Surprised me at the time.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGU63KqXuZk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGU63KqXuZk[/url]

Cor blimey guv'nor ![/quote]

I don't usually read the comments on Youtube clips but this made me smile:

'Clapton was thinking 'fnck me I wish I could play that fast'....and then he stopped watching Dave on the bass and watched Albert Lee!!!!'

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1069614' date='Dec 26 2010, 03:13 PM']Remembered seeing this being advertised at the time:

[attachment=67118:clapton_...s___dave.jpg][/quote]

I bought Chas Hodges autobiography in Poundland. Took it home in a plain wrapper. Its a good read though.

Apparently Clapton used to wonder why they didnt ask hiim up on stage at their gigs like they did Albert Lee.

Hrads Hands and Feet version with Chas Hodges on Bass.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i2XTXf4opM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i2XTXf4opM[/url]

Edited by Slipperydick

[quote name='Johnston' post='1069728' date='Dec 26 2010, 06:27 PM']This thread inspired a bit of a youtube trawl..

The official verdict from the 18month old to heads hands and feet ...

:) :)

I think thats a thumbs up for Chas :lol: :D[/quote]

aww you guys are just great! yeah i always loved that chas n dave stuff. Top players, and glad i got a few guys talking. Millers , clarks etc all fantastc n fancy, but good ole skool playing also has a huge place in my heart, and fingers!