Why become a member? ×

russmann

[quote name='russmann' post='1065295' date='Dec 20 2010, 11:49 PM']Hi Orange AD200B users!

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the best EQ settings for this amp. I've had one for a few weeks now and it sounds beautiful on its own, but in a band situation it just doesn't cut through in the same way as the SVT CL that I borrowed for my last tour - the bass seems to be overpowering and a lot of the highs seem to get drowned out.

Cheers :)
Russ[/quote]

Mids are your friends in a band context.

Des that one have the 3 band eq? Fender style tone stack means you can't boost the mids, try stating mids full, treble and bass right down, that is roughly flat.

What cab are you using? The Fenders with that tone stack were generally pair with middly cabs in the day, doesn't happen so much now.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1065328' date='Dec 21 2010, 12:48 AM']Des that one have the 3 band eq? Fender style tone stack means you can't boost the mids, try stating mids full, treble and bass right down, that is roughly flat.

What cab are you using? The Fenders with that tone stack were generally pair with middly cabs in the day, doesn't happen so much now.[/quote]

I use mine with an Orange 8x10 in a four piece rock band. I have the bass and treble set at about 3 o clock and the mid control set to about 9 o'clock. Gain at one o'clock and master at about 9 o'clock. I always use an ebs compressor with the tube compressor setting which ends a little bit more edge and high end attack with a passive jazz bass. Cuts through perfectly onstage against a mesa and orange stack in venues sized from 300 upwards.. don't even have bass in my monitor mix!

I've found when I have had the mid up you get a very honky sound that just doesn't sit right IMO in rock music. I suggest tweaking the eq between songs in rehearsal until you find something you find that you are happy with.. don't worry about what kinda tone stack it is or the theory of it, just experiment and listen with your ears!

Whilst I`ve not used the AD200B, from what I understand the Terrors eq works the same.

With my Terror, I used Bass & Treble on 10, Mids on 5, Gain on 2, Volume to suit. This through a 4x12 with no tweeters.

It was a very warm sound, and admittedly wasn`t a cutting through sound, but the presence was clearly there, without getting into the areas covered by the guitar, and any runs were clearly heard.

I found this setup by accident, as just got our guitarist to twiddle, til it sounded good, the first time I used it. On paper, it would seem that this would be overly bassy, but it wasn`t.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1066040' date='Dec 21 2010, 07:16 PM']All Orange gear appears to work on the same simple set up. If you like it, great, but if not then it isn't for you.[/quote]

Old/proper Orange stuff has the bass and treble no mid Bandaxall tone stack, which is pretty linear, both in the middle is flat style.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1066046' date='Dec 21 2010, 07:19 PM']Old/proper Orange stuff has the bass and treble no mid Bandaxall tone stack, which is pretty linear, both in the middle is flat style.[/quote]
This would be a rare example of me embracing the modern world then because I have my mids on about a 4 :)

Even though they are supposed to have the same pre-amps, I think the Terror has an active EQ which is supposedly flat at 12 o' clock, whereas the AD200B is supposed to be flat with treble at 9 o' clock, mids at noon, bass at 3 o' clock (I think).

Also, some people say 10 to be the max setting rather than using clock positions which makes it hard to know what they're referring to when talking about settings!