Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bridge question.

Paul S

Strange thing.

I bought a Gotoh-a-like bridge from Stevie D who assures me he fitted it and removed it from his Fender Standard Precision Bass with no problem, which has now been fitted with a BadAssII.

Today I tried to fit it to my Fender Power Jazz Special and here it is:

I also lined it up against my MIJ Jaguar and it wouldn't fit on that, either.

Anyone have any ideas? Do MIJ Fenders have different screw hole spacing to other Fenders?

Anyone want to buy a bridge? :)

[quote name='Paul S' post='1063524' date='Dec 19 2010, 02:08 PM']I also lined it up against my MIJ Jaguar and it wouldn't fit on that, either.

Anyone have any ideas? Do MIJ Fenders have different screw hole spacing to other Fenders?[/quote]

Can't offer any useful suggestions, but I've just put the bridge from a 97 CIJ 75RI up against an MIM jazz bridge and the spacing's identical. The centre-to-centre distance between outermost screws on the MIM bridge looks to be somewhere between 70 and 71 mm, so that should let you work out which one of yours is 'standard'. Hope that helps

Lawrence - thank you. Just measured the new bridge and the centre-to-centre distance between outermost screw holes looks to be around 75mm, whereas the two MIJs here are the same as yours, around 71mm. The plot thickens!

[quote name='Paul S' post='1063614' date='Dec 19 2010, 03:29 PM']Lawrence - thank you. Just measured the new bridge and the centre-to-centre distance between outermost screw holes looks to be around 75mm, whereas the two MIJs here are the same as yours, around 71mm. The plot thickens![/quote]

I just remembered that my old SGC Nanyo has a Gotoh bridge that looks the same as the one you've got, like yours it doesn't have the name stamped on it anywhere. Anyway, I measured that as well and it also comes in at 71mm. Looks like yours is a bit of an oddity.

Just looked at the Warmoth website and that measurement for the Gotoh should be 70mm. All of which helps me for buying a proper one but gets us no closer as to why this one fits a Fender Standard Precison when the measurement seems wrong. Confused.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1064256' date='Dec 20 2010, 07:59 AM']Anyone else able to chip in with their measurements? So to speak?[/quote]

Don't have a Fender standard to compare with but have a Gotoh 201 on my Squier VMJ which also measures 70mm and fits perfectly

[quote name='Paul S' post='1064933' date='Dec 20 2010, 07:07 PM']Could someone with a MIA Precision and/or Jazz please step up here? I am trying to sell this bridge on and could really do with the information. Thanks![/quote]

An MIA J or P will be totally different thanks to the through-body stringing, unless it's a reissue or quite an old one. The USA 75RI has the same bridge spacing as the others, ~70mm. I'm pretty certain P basses without through-stringing option are the same as Js. Maybe ask Stevie if he can give you a photo of the bass it came off without bridge attached? I'm can't believe he could have fitted a Badass II in the same screw holes.

Hi there,

I sold this bridge to Paul and just like him, i'm totally dumbfounded as to why this won't fit. I myself had this bridge fitted to a Fender Precision Standard (not the American one) and i didn't have to do any modifications to either the body or the bridge. I would show a photo to prove this but I only have one photo of the bass hanging on the wall which doesn't show the bridge that well.
Also, LawrenceH, I did fit a Badass II straight into the holes as that is what I replaced the bridge I sold to Paul with. it just dropped straight on again without any modifications to the bridge or body

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1065604' date='Dec 21 2010, 01:02 PM']Also, LawrenceH, I did fit a Badass II straight into the holes as that is what I replaced the bridge I sold to Paul with. it just dropped straight on again without any modifications to the bridge or body[/quote]

Weird, as I said above I've got a Gotoh 201 and the screw spacing's definitely about 70mm (confirmed [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Bass_Bridge_Chrome_GEB201C"]here[/url]

I was sure the badass II was interchangeable with that bass - sure they weren't widened screwholes from being redrilled on the P? It would only have to be bigger by 2.5mm on each of the outer screwholes. It's definitely not a Jap v MIM/MIA issue as all my basses, plus the Gotoh, measure the same. P basses are the same as Js at the bridge, right?

Sizes of Fender & Fender-alike bridges tend to be interchangeable - this even goes for pre-Fender Japan copies made in the 70s, and Fender-inspired designs like the Ibby Blazers.

Looking at this one, I'm pretty sure the holes would overlap the ones on the bass, meaning one could bodge-fit it, inserting the end screws at an angle. I'm not recommending this for an instant but that might explain how it could fit a standard-spaced Fender body.

Jon.

• 2 weeks later...