Why become a member? ×

Ebay revenge

Low End Bee

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1059627' date='Dec 15 2010, 03:11 PM'][url="http://www.theothernewssource.com/index.php/odds-and-ends/how-i-got-an-uncooperative-ebay-buyer-to-pay-for-her-purchase-was-it-unethical-53027/"]Ebay is not a 'car dealership'[/url] :)[/quote]

Nice one !

Didnt think it was possible to contact an ebay member unless its regarding an item for sale or you have recently dealt with them.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1059627' date='Dec 15 2010, 03:11 PM'][url="http://www.theothernewssource.com/index.php/odds-and-ends/how-i-got-an-uncooperative-ebay-buyer-to-pay-for-her-purchase-was-it-unethical-53027/"]Ebay is not a 'car dealership'[/url] :)[/quote]

This just made my day... It's funny. Technically all the guy did was get the money he asked for.. Karma :-)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1059735' date='Dec 15 2010, 05:00 PM']I wonder how legal the original sellers actions are but a great story :)[/quote]
I know but at the end of the day when you bid on something on ebay you enter into a legally binding contract - whether or not it is enforceable is another thing but you shouldn't click the confirm button unless you are serious. Good on him I say.

I love how she greedily demanded $100 over pay-back's big offer. Cheeky get got what she deserved. :)

I think that's absolutely brilliant and totally above board in my book. I'm sick of ebay retards who don't read delivery/payment info before bidding. A mate of mine sold a camera recently with clear "pick up only" delivery instructions. After some tool had won it they then messaged him saying "I live 300 miles away so can't pick up. Can you post it?"

Seriously, well done to this guy. This isn't a car dealership. Brilliant.

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1059800' date='Dec 15 2010, 05:57 PM']After some tool had won it they then messaged him saying "I live 300 miles away so can't pick up. Can you post it?"[/quote]

It is always worth messaging in advance and asking if they'll post (basses with the neck off is a classic, makes it much less hassle to pack). What is annoying me is people asking 'how much to post to some foreign place' in the last few hours of the auction. And people paying for UK post and expecting me to post to Europe.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1059779' date='Dec 15 2010, 05:43 PM']I know but at the end of the day when you bid on something on ebay you enter into a legally binding contract - whether or not it is enforceable is another thing but you shouldn't click the confirm button unless you are serious. Good on him I say.

I love how she greedily demanded $100 over pay-back's big offer. Cheeky get got what she deserved. :lol:[/quote]
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree. A bit of street justice :) :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1059779' date='Dec 15 2010, 05:43 PM']but you shouldn't click the confirm button unless you are serious. Good on him I say.[/quote]

I agree with this, but...

[quote]I know but at the end of the day when you bid on something on ebay you enter into a legally binding contract -[/quote]

Entirely debatable I'm afraid. The courts have taken the view that for ordinary internet shopping, the listing of an item is an invitation to treat only, therefore the buyer in fact makes the offer when he clicks buy, and it is only upon the seller actually accepting the order that the contract is actually made.

I think some people have tried to convolute that argument even further with regards ebay by saying that the final bid is actually only an invitation to treat to the buyer to make an offer. It's not really clear and as far as I'm aware there's currently no real authority on what an ebay listing and bids actually constitute.

Edited by Maverick