Why become a member? ×

1979 Ibanez Roadstar

gizmo6789

I have a 1979 Ibanez Roadstar bass. It has horrible fret buzz and i've located the problem. Im sure its the Nut at the top of the neck ( the bit the strings go through before going round the machineheads.

Does anyone have any experience in fixing this problem, im not really sure how to approach this.

replies will be much appreciated.

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1057685' date='Dec 13 2010, 07:18 PM']I have a 1979 Ibanez Roadstar bass. It has horrible fret buzz and i've located the problem. Im sure its the Nut at the top of the neck ( the bit the strings go through before going round the machineheads.

Does anyone have any experience in fixing this problem, im not really sure how to approach this.

replies will be much appreciated.[/quote]
Contact 7string on here, he'll diagnose and repair for a fellow Basschatter for half the price of anyone in the Glasgow area.

Edited by merello

If it is the nut then you can do a temporary bodge by dropping a blob of superglue on there to build it up a bit.

I've bought a few used basses where a previous owner has obviously wanted to string it with telephone cable and completely butchered the nut, fitting a new one isn't difficult and they're really cheap

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1057777' date='Dec 13 2010, 08:31 PM']New nut is an easy task, but there could be a variety of different reasons for fret buzz. Is it only on open strings, has it always done this? BTW if it's 1979 it will be a Roadster, not a Roadstar. :) Show us a pic or two.

Jon.[/quote]

It has been like this since i got it a couple of months ago. thought it was the fact the strings were old, changed the strings, no change, put my finger over the offending string on the nut and it cures the problem.

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1060006' date='Dec 15 2010, 08:37 PM']Ahhhhhhhhh, now I know what the problem is . . . . . . .

Sell it to me and wash all your worries away!! :)

Nice bass. :)

Now, payment made out to . . . . . . ???

Hold me back!!

Cheers. :lol:[/quote]

Hahaha.

Sorry FlatEric, but im not selling it, im desperate to get it fixed and get it out on the live circuit with my band, should sound awesome, i can tell its got some weighty tones in there judging by the fact that it needs a forklift to carry it around :D

Any solutions?

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1060032' date='Dec 15 2010, 08:55 PM']Hahaha.

Sorry FlatEric, but im not selling it, im desperate to get it fixed and get it out on the live circuit with my band, should sound awesome, i can tell its got some weighty tones in there judging by the fact that it needs a forklift to carry it around :D

Any solutions?[/quote]

Hi.

As Geoff and Jon say - a new nut is no big issue - years of dragging the stings over the nut for tuning, will wear
it down.The other suggestion of Super Glue is also a good solution - a good temp fix to ensure that is the problem.

Sort it out and then..................................................

Sell it to me!!!!!!!!! :P :) :) :lol:

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1059952' date='Dec 15 2010, 07:56 PM']It has been like this since i got it a couple of months ago. thought it was the fact the strings were old, changed the strings, no change, put my finger over the offending string on the nut and it cures the problem.[/quote]

Do you mean on the nut, or on the string behind the nut? If it's the latter, it might be the string's break angle as it passes over the nut - if it's too flat, the string will rattle in the slot. Try making sure the string is wound onto the tuner post going top to bottom, so that the string comes off the post as low down as possible.

Jon.

FIXED IT, THATS IT FIXED.

Thanks to everyone who made a suggestion, a combination of moving the string down the machinehead, and lining the nut with some superglue, cured the problem straight off. gonna go gigging.

Who ever said they wanted to buy this bass, make me an offer and il think about it.

[quote name='gizmo6789' post='1060964' date='Dec 16 2010, 08:23 PM']FIXED IT, THATS IT FIXED.

Thanks to everyone who made a suggestion, a combination of moving the string down the machinehead, and lining the nut with some superglue, cured the problem straight off. gonna go gigging.

Who ever said they wanted to buy this bass, make me an offer and il think about it.[/quote]
Excellent - glad it's all sorted, these sorts of things are usually pretty simple to fix.

Wasn't me who made the offer (that'd be Mr. F. Eric), but it would be good to see some pics & find out what it actually is - cos there ain't no such thing as a 1979 Roadstar!

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1060994' date='Dec 16 2010, 09:07 PM']Excellent - glad it's all sorted, these sorts of things are usually pretty simple to fix.

Wasn't me who made the offer (that'd be Mr. F. Eric), but it would be good to see some pics & find out what it actually is - cos there ain't no such thing as a 1979 Roadstar!

J.[/quote]

J, check the pics its a Roadster.

Nice one too - New Graphtec nut and it could be a doosey!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1061027' date='Dec 16 2010, 09:41 PM']J, check the pics its a Roadster.

Nice one too - New Graphtec nut and it could be a doosey![/quote]

Ah - Captain Thicky Mc Thickster reporting for duty! :) Sorry - didn't realise pics had been added - not sure how I missed them...

Anyway, this is a rare one, never seen this model before and can't find a pic in any of the old catalogues. However, the closest relation I can find is a Roadster RS820 in this catalogue:

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=44&now=3"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/expans...id=44&now=3[/url]

So following the Ibanez naming convention (8 prefix = passive, 9 = active), this one should be an RS920. Definitely never seen this before, I doubt there are many around, looks like this is a short-lived predecessor to the P/J equipped RS924, which I have.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1061420' date='Dec 17 2010, 11:02 AM']Ah - Captain Thicky Mc Thickster reporting for duty! :) Sorry - didn't realise pics had been added - not sure how I missed them...

Anyway, this is a rare one, never seen this model before and can't find a pic in any of the old catalogues. However, the closest relation I can find is a Roadster RS820 in this catalogue:

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=44&now=3"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/expans...id=44&now=3[/url]

So following the Ibanez naming convention (8 prefix = passive, 9 = active), this one should be an RS920. Definitely never seen this before, I doubt there are many around, looks like this is a short-lived predecessor to the P/J equipped RS924, which I have.

J.[/quote]

I know what u mean about not being able to find pictures of any like it. It's active, 2 pick ups instead of the usual 1 pick up, sounds awesome and is the same model that Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy once used before switching to the Fender P Bass

Using it Live tonight for the first time in its 30 year history hahaha. Gonna be Playing at Capitol on Sauchiehall Street Glasgow.

Should sound pretty awesome. Iv been using it through my Line 6 LD150 amp the past couple of days and its sounding soo soo good. shame theres still some fret buzz on the A string, but no where near as bad. too scared to touch the bridge and alter string heights.

Il let you know how it goes. but if anyone wants to see it in the flesh ( so to speak) then come along tonight. Il be there from 6pm