Why become a member? ×

Boring Recommendations Thread...

Count Bassie

Ooookay. I have a Trace 1153 which I like a lot. I have an AH250SMX which I'm on the fence about... so do any of you venerable Makers of the Thunder have a savvy recommendation for a head to go with this cab?

SWR SM-400s?
GK 800 RB? 700 RB?
Eden?...
Etc.?

Thanks for your time and thoughts!

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='casapete' post='1052839' date='Dec 9 2010, 09:56 AM']Ok, I'll be first in to say GK - the 800RB are great amps and fairly priced/plentiful on your side of the pond.
The 700's are good too! Depends what you play&where really.[/quote]

I do have my eyes glued open for an 800RB...

Can't really say how the SWR will work with TE cabs... but the U.S made SM400 is a classic amp, IMV.

The S version did away with the 'sub' issue which did nothing but bleed power, but I have the 400 and it is very well hi spec made amp.

But...as I am not a fan of TE in general..and you like the cab..I would match the cab up with a TE amp.

I think Eden and SWR would be too subtle for a TE cab, tbh.. and although I am not a fan of GK, I think they might be a better match for what you may like to hear.

I would suggest that early U.S made SWR and Eden amps are by far the best quality out of your list..but not sonically what you are after..possibly

[quote name='JTUK' post='1053726' date='Dec 10 2010, 04:17 AM']Can't really say how the SWR will work with TE cabs... but the U.S made SM400 is a classic amp, IMV.

The S version did away with the 'sub' issue which did nothing but bleed power, but I have the 400 and it is very well hi spec made amp.

But...as I am not a fan of TE in general..and you like the cab..I would match the cab up with a TE amp.

I think Eden and SWR would be too subtle for a TE cab, tbh.. and although I am not a fan of GK, I think they might be a better match for what you may like to hear.

I would suggest that early U.S made SWR and Eden amps are by far the best quality out of your list..but not sonically what you are after..possibly[/quote]

I had the 400, great amp! But right, I couldn't get past the 31 Hz eq point. Not quite a crippler, as you could work around it, sort of.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1053726' date='Dec 10 2010, 09:17 AM']I would suggest that early U.S made SWR and Eden amps are by far the best quality out of your list..but not sonically what you are after..possibly[/quote]
I can make my Eden WT550 sound like a Trace 12-band head.... Maybe it's just the way I play :)

I just got my SMX back today, it had an intermittent short. All well now, but the tech remarked that although the Trace stuff is well engineered, it's not generally very well executed. I'll be taking my time- as money is not really good now- but I will be shopping for a replacement when I can I guess.

Thanks for the responses!

I went the other route from an SM400S (which I liked more than my previous SM400 non-S because of the additional treble control) to a Trace SMX600. If you are used to how a Trace cuts through in your band then you will be disappointed from the SWR. OTOS I´d alway prefer the SM400S for recording. It´s go the perfect tone to exactly fit in a mix, but on stage it doesn´t cut through well. The Trace in my book doesn´t sound nice but gives you accurate control, even when two distorted guitars try to destroy your ears.

[quote name='jensenmann' post='1061976' date='Dec 17 2010, 03:09 PM']I went the other route from an SM400S (which I liked more than my previous SM400 non-S because of the additional treble control) to a Trace SMX600. If you are used to how a Trace cuts through in your band then you will be disappointed from the SWR. OTOS I´d alway prefer the SM400S for recording. It´s go the perfect tone to exactly fit in a mix, but on stage it doesn´t cut through well. The Trace in my book doesn´t sound nice but gives you accurate control, even when two distorted guitars try to destroy your ears.[/quote]

What hooked me was the way the Trace SMX tends to sit in a live mix. Totally right- and I agree, it tends to be a bit ugly solo'd... but it's my gig-rig as it always does the band right. Brings the bread.

As a fellow Trace player, I'd recommend another cab, not a new head. The 1153 is fine for belting out thick bottom end, but maybe you need another cab that will tease out the tones that your SMX can easily achieve.

My amp is an AH200 Series 6 GP12 - a couple of models behind yours. I also run it with a 1153, but also with a 2103x, which is a 2x10 with 2x5. That's a heck of a lot of tone, especially with a 12 band graphic. Unfortunately at 31Kg (65-odd lbs) the 2103 isn't a lightweight, but it gets a tone and punch you might like.

Just a thought anyway. Have fun.

BB

[quote name='borisbrain' post='1065038' date='Dec 20 2010, 03:09 PM']As a fellow Trace player, I'd recommend another cab, not a new head. The 1153 is fine for belting out thick bottom end, but maybe you need another cab that will tease out the tones that your SMX can easily achieve.

My amp is an AH200 Series 6 GP12 - a couple of models behind yours. I also run it with a 1153, but also with a 2103x, which is a 2x10 with 2x5. That's a heck of a lot of tone, especially with a 12 band graphic. Unfortunately at 31Kg (65-odd lbs) the 2103 isn't a lightweight, but it gets a tone and punch you might like.

Just a thought anyway. Have fun.

BB[/quote]

Hey Boris, I just scored a 1048 for ultra-dirt-cheap, and I'm planning on putting it atop the 1153. That 2103x there sounds like an interesting cab- one of those good things "they" don't make anymore! If I can find one I'll certainly check it out- thanks for the encouragement!

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='1065296' date='Dec 20 2010, 11:52 PM']Hey Boris, I just scored a 1048 for ultra-dirt-cheap, and I'm planning on putting it atop the 1153. That 2103x there sounds like an interesting cab- one of those good things "they" don't make anymore! If I can find one I'll certainly check it out- thanks for the encouragement![/quote]

Groove on, Bassie.

Have fun with the new cab. You'll probably shake the foundations in Boston now!

BB

[quote name='borisbrain' post='1065308' date='Dec 20 2010, 07:05 PM']Groove on, Bassie.

Have fun with the new cab. You'll probably shake the foundations in Boston now!

BB[/quote]

I'll be pipin' in to keep yers all aprised! :) Thanks matey!

Edited by Count Bassie

Picked up what appears to be a Gibson-era 1048 yesterday for $100. The red stripe across the front was coming up (little strips of tape) so I pulled it off, I re-set the loose port tubes with "PL" construction adhesive, and it's missing one of the port-plug flanges and the screws for holding on the grille. Also it needs a jack secured to the jack-plate... but she works, and I'm darned glad to have it.

It won't sit on top of the 15 because it's got casters instead of 'feet' where they ought to go, so I put the 15 on top. Whatever! Should be fine for bringing in the New Year. We'll be about 20-30 miles from Boston, and I hope I don't rumble loose any of that work they had done a couple years ago down in the basement...

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='chris_b' post='1068805' date='Dec 24 2010, 10:29 AM']You are very near (about 30 miles) to the guy making the best cabs in the US. I'd get your Bergantino cab first then look for an amp that matches it.[/quote]

I would too if I could afford him! That is, according to my own proclaimed ethic, the best way to do it...