Why become a member? ×

Ric models

munkonthehill

[quote name='bumnote' post='1047879' date='Dec 4 2010, 11:49 PM']I am no means a rickenbacker expert but these were available with the dot inlays in the 90s. I used to have a fireglow one, which was a special order from academy of sound in Norwich. Beautifull quality bass, I just couldnt get on with it[/quote]

so except for the looks did it have any other difference????

[quote name='jonsmith' post='1047892' date='Dec 5 2010, 12:08 AM']Mono output only.[/quote]

I like the idea of having all the bells and whistles that come with a Ric, but does anyone use the stereo output. When would you use this option???????? Its something I actually look for in Rics when I go to shady dealers...I just assumed they all had the ric'o'sound output...........bloody ignorance!

Looks like an S to me too, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has a set neck. Hard to tell from the photos but I don't think this one has a set neck.

As for the stereo output, at one time Geddy Lee certainly made use of it, running the pickups into separate amps. Chris Squire also had his (originally mono) rewired for stereo for the same purpose (but not a Rick-o-Sound socket). I never use the stereo socket, except sometimes by accident.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1047916' date='Dec 5 2010, 12:37 AM']I know of a thru neck and bolt on neck. but whats a set neck?[/quote]

Basically it's a glued in neck. This page here tells you a bit about different neck types.

[url="http://www.jamorama.com/blog/tag/necks/"]Neck Types[/url]

Probably not the best page, but I was trying to find a photograph of a Rickenbacker set neck. Not easy to find, but some 4001s and 4003s basses have set necks (and some 4000 basses too). The set neck in the photograph on that page is a Rickenbacker set neck, but not from a 4001 or 4003. Most Rickenbacker basses are neck through. The necks on the 4080 doublenecks look like they are bolt on, but although both have neck plates, the bass neck is actually set.

Edited by jonsmith

[quote name='jonsmith' post='1047930' date='Dec 5 2010, 01:01 AM']Basically it's a glued in neck. This page here tells you a bit about different neck types.

[url="http://www.jamorama.com/blog/tag/necks/"]Neck Types[/url]

Probably not the best page, but I was trying to find a photograph of a Rickenbacker set neck. Not easy to find, but some 4001s and 4003s basses have set necks (and some 4000 basses too). The set neck in the photograph on that page is a Rickenbacker set neck, but not from a 4001 or 4003. Most Rickenbacker basses are neck through. The necks on the 4080 doublenecks look like they are bolt on, but although both have neck plates, the bass neck is actually set.[/quote]

perfect answer, cheers buddy.

4003s model was a continuation of the original RM 1999 bass (60's UK export only), same as USA 4001 but no binding and slight body contouring.

As far as I'm aware the only difference between a 4001 and a 4003 is that the 4001 was designed to be used with flats and 4003 re designed 4001 to accommodate round wounds, both models can appear with binding and triangle inlays.

The "s" indicates no binding and dot inlays but the lack of stereo was an option available on all Ric basses and not just a budget thing so it may or may not have it?

Ive got both styles and much prefer to play the S version it is much more comfortable to play and this is a bargain of a bass with quite a rare and retro look

Id jump on it.

PS Niether the 4003 or the 4001 or their respective "s" versions had set necks, all had Thru neck construction.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by cd_david

[quote name='cd_david' post='1048034' date='Dec 5 2010, 10:17 AM']4003s model was a continuation of the original RM 1999 bass (60's UK export only), same as USA 4001 but no binding and slight body contouring.

As far as I'm aware the only difference between a 4001 and a 4003 is that the 4001 was designed to be used with flats and 4003 re designed 4001 to accommodate round wounds, both models can appear with binding and triangle inlays.

The "s" indicates no binding and dot inlays but the lack of stereo was an option available on all Ric basses and not just a budget thing so it may or may not have it?

Ive got both styles and much prefer to play the S version it is much more comfortable to play and this is a bargain of a bass with quite a rare and retro look

Id jump on it.

PS Niether the 4003 or the 4001 or their respective "s" versions had set necks, all had Thru neck construction.

Cheers

Dave[/quote]

Well in Dave, thats much appreciated info mate.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1048043' date='Dec 5 2010, 10:38 AM']It's also worth mentioning the neck profiles of Rickenbackers range dramatically. My old one was like a baseball bat but there are ones from the same era that are like Jazzes.[/quote]

i like jazz necks due to that bloody Jag I have,,,It may have ruined me for all other basses hahaha.

If I do go for this (or more to the point if the guy who owns the ric goes for it) it means I would have to swap out the bongo that I love,, however the lure of a Ric is just too great. I am exactly 50-50 on this and not sure if I would be cool letting the bongo go.

bloody gas

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1047848' date='Dec 4 2010, 11:11 PM']There is a Ric on gumtree [url="http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/27/67689627.html"]http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/27/67689627.html[/url]

Is there any other difference between the Ric basses with the bindings and triangle inlays compared to this one???[/quote]

I had one of these - exactly the same. Mono output (shame) and the lack of shark inlays (big shame) made it feel somewhat lesser than an ideal Ric. That perception coloured my enjoyment of the bass to the extent I thought it didn't sound 'right' either.

For me, I'd find the extra ton or so and buy the stereo out variation every time.

FWIW, if that happens to be the one I owned, I sold it for £650 around 2 years back :)

Edited by Lysdexia

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='1048181' date='Dec 5 2010, 01:08 PM']I had one of these - exactly the same. Mono output (shame) and the lack of shark inlays (big shame) made it feel somewhat lesser than an ideal Ric. That perception coloured my enjoyment of the bass to the extent I thought it didn't sound 'right' either.

For me, I'd find the extra ton or so and buy the stereo out variation every time.

FWIW, if that happens to be the one I owned, I sold it for £650 around 2 years back :)[/quote]

wish I had knows you 2 years ago, for that price I would have swam to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1048187' date='Dec 5 2010, 01:20 PM']wish I had knows you 2 years ago, for that price I would have swam to you!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

TBH, whilst the guy that bought it was delighted, I felt unusually and oddly detached. Ordinarily I'm pretty gutted when I sell a bass because there's usually something about it to love.

Didn't feel for this at all.

Edited by Lysdexia

[quote name='cd_david' post='1048034' date='Dec 5 2010, 10:17 AM']The "s" indicates no binding and dot inlays but the lack of stereo was an option available on all Ric basses and not just a budget thing so it may or may not have it?

Cheers

Dave[/quote]

An 's' would not normally have Rick-o-Sound, it would have been a departure from a standard 's' for it have Rick-o-Sound.

Trust me, there are some 's' basses that have set necks (not many perhaps, but I've heard of a few).

Right, now that I am bit more compus mentus than i was last night.

Most of these are set neck but there are some that are neck through. The main differences are no sharkfin inlays, no binding on neck or body. This also means that they are able to contour the body, so if you find the square edge on the regular models uncomfortable then this is your answer.

Although these are mono output. most people don't use the rick o sound anyway but I'm sure that Chris Squire had his bass modified to output in stereo.

Plus these look more like the RM1999 That Chris Squire uses

There is also the 4000 model which only had the bridge pickup but is very often still routed for the neck one.

Both basses have been discontinued for quite some time now.

Edited by Delberthot